Skip to main content

My CMA Picks: Musical Event of the Year

Starting off with an FYI for those who may haven't heard: the winners of both this award and Music Video will be announced on Good Morning America tomorrow morning. I'm sure that they'll mention who won at some point during the CMA Awards, but I wanted to bring it up just in case anyone had any interest in seeing them announced live.

This is one of the first years where I've actually heard all of the songs nominated in this category. I listen to a ton of music and try to listen to as much new stuff as possible, but there's usually one or two songs nominated that I've never heard. This category is strange that way. Meanwhile, odds are that this will be one of the shortest posts I've done in this series because I just don't have a lot to say about any of these songs. 

The nominees:
"Dixie Highway", Alan Jackson featuring Zac Brown Band
"Feel Like a Rock Star", Kenny Chesney duet with Tim McGraw
"Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die", Willie Nelson with Snoop Dogg, Kris Kristofferson and Jamey Johnson
"Safe and Sound", Taylor Swift with The Civil Wars
"Stuck On You", Lionel Richie with Darius Rucker

My pick for CMA Musical Event of the Year? "Dixie Highway", Alan Jackson featuring Zac Brown Band

"Feel Like a Rock Star", probably the favorite for this award. I think this song has a huge chance of winning because of how big it was. It's Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw, two of the biggest names in country music. The song got a lot of radio play and I feel like I've seen the video about 200 times. I didn't really care for it. I thought it sounded too much like some of Kenny's other songs.

"Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die". I'm having such a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that Snoop Dogg is up for a CMA. I mean it's Snoop Dogg, for heaven's sake. That alone made me not want to pick it. That and the fact that I just don't like it. I have a lot of respect for Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson, two of the legends in country music. And I really like Jamey Johnson. But this song doesn't do anything for me. It probably has a chance since it's Willie Nelson and they are doing a tribute to him during the CMAs. Which would be a good time to have them announce that they won.

"Safe and Sound". Another strong contender. Written by Taylor, The Civil Wars and T-Bone Burnett for the Hunger Games soundtrack, this song was quite a departure for Taylor. It fit the feel of the movie very well and Taylor and The Civil Wars made for a very interesting trio. Perhaps the most unique song nominated.

"Stuck On You". Nice remake of a good song. I really like how well Lionel Richie and Darius Rucker's voices blend together on this. But I don't really think it's going to win based on the fact that I heard this one the least. I don't think it had anywhere near the impact of a couple of the other songs.

I pretty much picked "Dixie Highway" because I really like the playing found on it. That and I would love to see Alan Jackson win another CMA. It'd be a cool win for Zac Brown Band too, of course, but it's been so long since Alan won anything. This is kind of a hybrid of some other Alan Jackson songs, but it works. I think it's a fun track to listen to and easily my favorite song of the bunch. I'd like to see it win, though I'm not sure it can. I'd say that they have a better chance of winning than Lionel and Darius do. But still not as big of a chance as the other nominees have. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.