Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: The First Noel by VoicePlay

Guys, I think we need to talk about Patreon. Specifically, VoicePlay's Patreon. Quick explanation for those of you who still aren't familiar with Patreon - it's a crowdfunding website designed to help creators create content over time. Unlike other crowdfunding sites (like, say, KickStarter), Patreon is an ongoing relationship between a creator and their fans (i.e. Patrons). As opposed to only raising money for one big project (like an album) over a specified amount of time. Patreon is one of the best things to happen that's happened to creators in a long time, in my opinion.

Being a patron allows you to support your creators in a way that essentially makes you a small part of their creating process. Whether you donate $1 or $100 per creation, you are helping your creator(s) do what they love to do. You are helping them make their content. Every little bit helps. 

Here's what's been driving me crazy about VoicePlay's Patreon. The website allows creators to set milestones, usually based on how much they make per creation. Reaching these milestones is great for everyone. So what's my problem? My problem is that VoicePlay is really close to hitting their next milestone. Close to the point that it's kind of killing me that they haven't hit it yet. Killing me, I say. Maybe by the time this post goes public, they will have magically hit that milestone and that would be fantastic. I don't really expect that it will, but I would be thrilled to be proven wrong.

Either way, they deserve more patrons. I want to see them hit this milestone and all of their other milestones. Shoot, I want to see them having to create new milestones so they can crush those too. So, to that end, I offer to you a plea. A plea set to a song that you might remember from Frozen

Do you wanna be a patron?
Come on, you know you do
You can help these five handsome bros
Make their videos
Come on, support VoicePlay

I promise that they're worth it
They really are
And the perks; they are super great!
So do you wanna be a patron?
Oh, won't you please become a patron?
Join today

Deciding to become a VoicePlay patron was such an easy decision for me to make and what a fantastic decision, too. I'll say it as many times as I have to: they are so good to us. They appreciate all of us and make a point of telling us so often. You can see the difference in their videos since they launched their Patreon campaign and trust that they put the money they get to great use. You can join for as little as a $1 per creation. You can also set a monthly cap on your donation to stay within your budget. Every dollar helps. Considering how much joy they bring me and how much that helps me deal with things, well, how could I not want to support them on Patreon and urge others to do so as well? 

I could come up with so many more reasons why you should at least consider supporting them on Patreon, but you know what? Their content speaks for itself. As does their talent. So, this is their take on "The First Noel". Enjoy.



Behold, one of the things I love the most about VoicePlay on full display. What might that be, you ask? Why, it's the way that they can completely reinvent a song and make it their own. I couldn't tell you how many versions of "The First Noel" I've heard in my lifetime, but I can tell you that I have never heard it sound like this. While I've always liked "The First Noel" just fine, it's not one that I'd consider a favorite.

Then along came VoicePlay. They took this song, a song that has been done who knows how many times since it's creation, and reworked it. They gave it an updated feel with a beat that I think can only be described as sick. I never imagined that "The First Noel" could be turned into something that could make you want to dance, but they did it. They have breathed new life into this song. Like some kind of strange and wonderful musical form of CPR. They managed to make it feel fresh and new, which is something that they kind of excel at.

You know what? Scratch that.

They don't kind of excel at it, they do excel at it. In fact, they might be the best at that. The best that I've heard, at least. As hard as I've tried, I don't think I've yet found the words to properly express how much I love the way that they approach music. The way that they choose to create music. Not by doing what everyone else does, but by doing what works for them. Doing so in a way that transforms a song into a better version of itself. Every. Single. Time. It's so refreshing.

In saying all that, it shouldn't surprise anyone when I now say that this is the best version of "The First Noel" that I have ever heard. I absolutely love what they did with it. It's another great Geoff arrangement. Of course, every great arrangement deserves great singing to go along with it and VoicePlay's got that covered. I love how they always pick the right person to sing lead. The always know when to switch out the lead, if the song needs it.

I always like when vocal groups will have sections where one person will start singing (Tony, in this example) and then the others come in one by one, building the chord that way. Especially when it starts off with a mini-drum solo by Layne. With Geoff coming in all by his bass-y lonesome near the end of that section.

Okay, show of (virtual) hands: how many of you know what I'm referring to when I say the words "Unleash the Fury"? Anyone? Bueller? If you don't, that is a video clip they play during Caps (i.e. the Washington Capitals hockey team) games as a kind of battle cry to rev up both the players and the fans. I know what you're thinking. What in the world does this have to do with VoicePlay? Well, I happened to think about it while watching this recently. Specifically around the 3 minute mark when Tony kicks into another gear, vocally speaking. For those, what, four noels anyway. I had the silly thought that it was like they decided to Unleash the Tony.

Welcome to my thought process, y'all.

In any event, it's so great when we get to hear Tony do things like that. He has such a great voice and I love listening to it. It's moments like that that show it off. Not completely; you can't fully appreciate Tony's voice until you hear him sing anything from The Phantom of the Opera. Ironically, they have their cover of the title song linked at the end. If you haven't watched that, um, why not? It's fantastic. Anyway, considering that the next VoicePlay video I'll be writing about is a Partwork that Tony's not in, I figured I'd throw a little extra love his way here. It's all about keeping things balanced on the VoicePlay front. And because he's the Tony and we VoicePlayas all love the Tony. Well, we love all of our guys. Hence, the desire for balance, you see.

I think that'll do it for this one. Here's where you can stay in touch with them:
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Patreon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.