Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: High Class by Eric Paslay

I had the pleasure of going to the UMG showcase at the Ryman during the Country Radio Seminar (CRS) week back in February. It is one of the coolest events I've ever been to and an interesting peek into the business. It was a star-studded lineup that featured one great performance after another with a few that managed to outshine all the others. Not an easy thing to accomplish at this showcase! One of these standouts was Mr. Eric Paslay. Now I saw Eric at 3rd and Lindsley here in Nashville a few years ago and really liked him. Great voice, great songwriter and comes across as a cool guy. I was looking forward to seeing him again, even if it was only one song. As is the case at the UMG showcase. All but one of the perfomers (Keith Urban being the exception; he did a second song to close out the show) only did one song. The whole point of the showcase is to entice radio to play all these artists. It's kind of part concert and part boardroom meeting. It's a pretty fascinating event to attend.

In any event, I was looking forward to seeing Eric. I figured he'd be good. I did not expect him to completely blow my mind. Nor did the majority of the audience. There were a whole lot of people buzzing about it afterwards and for good reason. The song was "High Class". The performance was high energy. And the audience lost their minds. Turns out that Eric Paslay's got some moves! My jaw actually dropped. There's some videos of the performance floating around online and they're worth looking for, but they only give a taste of what the crowd reaction was like. Y'all, he lit that place up! I can't even describe just how much fun it was to watch. I was thoroughly entertained and didn't want him to leave. He had that audience in the palm of his hands and there's a lot of artists out there who could learn a few things from that. Namely, that incredible things happen when you project energy into the audience. Not just to the first few rows either, but throughout the entire venue. It's so infectious. Energetic performers will always be my favorite kind. Always.

Given the energy of both the song and Eric himself, I was expecting this video to be a blast to watch and I was right. Check it out.




"High Class" seems to have taken a lot of people by surprise and I think that's a good thing. Eric's gotten some criticism for this song that I feel is unwarranted. I mean, if you don't like it, you don't like it. But at least take it for what it is. A fun, upbeat song that makes people (most, at least) want to get up and dance along. It's not supposed to be "He Stopped Loving Her Today", y'all. Just had to get that out of my system.

I feel that the video is the perfect complement for the song. I like the way it starts off with Eric in regular clothes in first the alley and then the kitchen and then the transformation at the mirror. Great idea that was executed very well. "Tonight we class class", indeed. The video has a bit of a throwback feel with all the cool outfits that I love. Seriously, I'm really not all that into fashion, but I just love the way everyone looks in this. Plus this kind of dancing is so much fun to watch. Everyone looks like they're genuinely enjoying themselves which really makes the song come alive. It's not often that a music video gives off this much energy and that is probably my favorite thing about it.

It's impossible for me to watch this without tapping my foot at the very least or outright dancing along which is more often the case. Well, attempting to if I'm being honest. A great dancer, I ain't. But you know what? That's okay. "High Class" is all about having a good time and if you're having fun, that's what matters. Like the cameos by Maddie & Tae, Charles Kelley and Kristian Bush. Don't think I'm missing anyone. Did you catch them all? Go back and watch, if you didn't. I always like it when you see other artists in a video. It gives it a little something extra.

Energetic song with an entertaining video. Works for me! If it works for you as well, keep up with Eric here:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.