Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: From The Ground Up by Dan + Shay

I have to start by saying how much I love that songs like this are still being written. We've been inundated with so many hookup songs over the past couple of years. So many songs about how hot a guy thinks a girl is, as if that's the only thing about her that matters. Society no doubt plays a part in this. You look at Hollywood where marriage is little more than a punchline more often than not. Or at all the people out there who would rather end a relationship instead of trying to repair it. People who bail on the person they claimed to love as soon as something bad happens. Who settle for shallow and meaningless relationships because they don't want to put forth the effort to create something real that lasts.

"From The Ground Up" was written by Dan (Smyers) and Shay (Mooney), along with Chris DeStefano. They used their grandparents' marriages as inspiration for the song and I'd say that it's a beautiful tribute. Both to their grandparents and to that kind of everlasting love that seems so rare these days. The kind that you fight for instead of throwing away. The kind that can withstand all the hard times that inevitably come. I imagine there are those who will dismiss the words as sappy which I take as a sad commentary on the mindset so many people have. The love that "From The Ground Up" describes is the only kind of love that truly matters.

Check out the video.




This video is exactly what it needed to be. It goes with both the song lyrics and the inspiration behind them. The song is about building a love from the ground up, so why not open with a young man giving his love the blueprints to the house he plans to build. Leading up to the proposal that was obviously coming. Then to the current day where a wedding is about to take place in the house that they built. The way you see pieces of the grandparents' relationship, highlighting both good and not so good times, was perfect. As was the way that all of the flashbacks had a kind of grainy look to them while the shots from the current day were more vivid. 

This is such a beautiful video  which goes along with the lyrics nicely. I love the colors, It's a nice treat for the eyes. This is one of those music videos that's kind of like a mini movie and I usually really like those. Honestly, this could be the storyline of a full-length movie is someone wanted to do it. It actually reminded me a bit of The Notebook movie, visually speaking. Great lead vocal by Shay on this. It feels genuine, which is one of the reasons why this song works. This is obviously a special song for Dan + Shay and the vocal reflects that. Nice harmony by Dan too. Just a lovely track all the way around and the video complements it perfectly. 

"From The Ground Up" is the first single from their upcoming album, Obsessed, which comes out in June. It's available for preorder now on both iTunes and GooglePlay. You can get that information on their website, linked below.

Keep up with Dan + Shay in the following places:








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.