Skip to main content

Narrowing the videos down to 50

So before I start counting down my top 50 videos, I thought I'd write a bit about what I'm looking for and how I narrowed the field down from over 120 videos to 50. I was going through and making a list of all the videos that came out in 2011 and could not believe how many there were! It didn't take too long for me to figure out that I couldn't possibly put all of them on the list or I'd be doing this forever. So I decided to mostly stick to artists that were the most likely to be known by the average country fan. Some are country music superstars and others are just starting to get their name out there, but they all are pretty close to what I'd consider to be pretty mainstream. As in people whose videos are the most likely to be shown on CMT and GAC. So that's how the original list came together, a list made up of 123 videos.


From there I had to figure out how I wanted to go about eliminating videos until I got the list down to 50. What are the kinds of things that separate the good videos from the great ones? What kinds of things matter to me in a video? And this is what I came up with:

1) The video must represent both the song and the artist well.
2) The video must be well made.
3) Bonus points are given for originality and whether or not the video enhanced or deepened the meaning of the song. The latter part of this point is a huge deal for me and there were some videos this year that did that beautifully.
4) This one didn't really play much of a factor, but how often did or does it get shown. This is a minor point because a great video is a great video regardless of how popular it is or how well known an artist is.

And...that's about it. To be perfectly honest a lot of this depended solely on my personal tastes, which was probably to be expected. I think I'm going to wrap this post up by posting the list of the 123 videos that made the original list. A lot of strong contenders here and there were so many that I really didn't want to cut. I made the decision early on to get rid of videos that were strictly concert or award show performances with nothing else added in favor of videos that featured a story line. The are two videos in my top 50 that include concert footage and each had things about it that set them apart from the others of this type. One included non-concert images and one that managed to include highlights from an entire tour in a way that really gave me a feel for the tour as a whole. I think I'll do a post at some point highlighting some videos that just barely missed being included in the top 50 with brief explanations as to why they got cut. But that's later. For now, without further ado, here is the list of the 123 videos that made my original list. I'll list them in alphabetical order by song title, including first the name of the artist(s) and then the name of the director(s).

Here we go:
(Kissed You) Good Night – Gloriana, TK McKamy
1,000 Faces – Randy Montana, Deaton-Flanigen
A Buncha Girls – Frankie Ballard, Jim Wright
A Little Less Comfortable – Carters Chord, Kristin Barlowe
A Woman Like You – Lee Brice, Eric Welch
All Your Life – The Band Perry, David McClister
Alone with You – Jake Owen, Mason Dixon
Always a Reason – The Dirt Drifters, Andi Zack
Am I the Only One – Dierks Bentley, Deaton-Flanigen
Amen – Eden’s Edge, Roman White
Back To December – Taylor Swift, Yoann Lemoine
Baggage Claim – Miranda Lambert, Paul Miller
Bait a Hook – Justin Moore, Shane Drake
Barefoot Blue Jean Night – Jake Owen, Mason Dixon
Beautiful Every Time – Lee Brice, Eric Welch
Beautiful Lies – Jaron and the Long Road to Love w/Big Kenny, Jaron Lowenstein
Bleed Red – Ronnie Dunn, Thien Phan
Brown Chicken, Brown Cow – Trace Adkins, Michael Salmon
Bulletproof – Steel Magnolia, Aaron Thomas
Colder Weather – Zac Brown Band, Darren Doane
Collide – Kid Rock w/Sheryl Crow, Deaton-Flanigen
Cost of Livin’ – Ronnie Dunn, Thien Phan
Country Girl (Shake it for Me) – Luke Bryan, Shaun Silva
Country Must Be Country Wide – Brantley Gilbert, Shane Drake
Crazy Girl – Eli Young Band, Brian Lazzaro
Didn’t I – James Wesley, Marcel
Dirt Road Anthem – Jason Aldean, Deaton-Flanigen
Don’t You Want to Stay – Jason Aldean w/Kelly Clarkson, CMA broadcast
Drink in My Hand – Eric Church, Peter Zavadil
Easy – Rascal Flatts w/Natasha Bedingfeld, Peter Zavidil
Everything and All – Randy Travis, Peter Zavadil
Fake I.D. – Big & Rich, ?
Ferris Wheel – Jason Jones, Kristin Barlowe
Fish – Craig Campbell, Wes Edwards
Footloose – Blake Shelton, Shaun Silva
Generation Love – Jennette McCurdy, Roman White
Give – LeAnn Rimes, Nigel Dick
God Gave Me You – Blake Shelton, Trey Fanjoy
Headache – Joey + Rory, Bryan Allen
Heart like Mine – Miranda Lambert, Justin Luffman
Hell on Heels – Pistol Annies, Becky Fluke
Hell Yeah, I Like Beer – Kevin Fowler, Kevin Fowler
Home – Dierks Bentley, Deaton-Flanigen
Homeboy – Eric Church, Peter Zavadil
Honey Bee – Blake Shelton, Trey Fanjoy
Hunt You Down – JT Hodges, Marcel
I Am Strong – The Grascals with Dolly Parton, David Corlew
I Do but Do I – Katie Armiger, Stephen Shepherd
I Don’t Want This Night to End – Luke Bryan, Shaun Silva
I Got Nothin’ – Darius Rucker
I Got You – Thompson Square, Wes Edwards
I Love You This Big – Scotty McCreery, Shane Drake
I Won’t Let You – Rascal Flatts, George Flanigen
I’m Gonna Love You Through It – Martina McBride, Roman White
If Heaven Wasn’t So Far Away – Justin Moore, Peter Zavadil
If I Run – The Harters, Wes Edwards
If I Were a Boy – Reba McEntire, Peter Zavadil
If You Ain’t Here to Party – Luke Bryan, Michael Monaco
It’s a Shore Thing – Luke Bryan, Potsy Ponciroli
Just a Kiss – Lady Antebellum – Shaun Silva
Just Fishin’ – Trace Adkins, Trey Fanjoy
Keep Me in Mind – Zac Brown Band, Fenton Williams
Kiss My Country Ass – Blake Shelton, Jon Small
Knee Deep – Zac Brown Band w/Jimmy Buffet, Darren Doana
Let It Rain – David Nail, Stephen Shepherd/David Nail
Let Me Down Easy – Billy Currington, Potsy Ponciroli
Let’s Don’t Call it a Night – Casey James, Roman White
Let’s Get Together – Phil Vassar, Mason Dixon
Like My Mother Does – Lauren Alaina, Shaun Silva
Long Hot Summer – Keith Urban, Trey Fanjoy
Long Way to Go – Alan Jackson, Steven Goldmann
Look It Up – Ashton Shepherd, Michael Salomon
Looking for America – Mark Wills, Matt McQueen
Love Don’t Run – Steve Holy, Eric Welch
Love Done Gone – Billy Currington, Potsy Ponciroli
Made in America – Toby Keith, Michael Salomon
Mary was the Marrying Kind – Kip Moore, Michael Maxxis
Mean – Taylor Swift, Declan Whitebloom
My Heart Can’t Tell You No – Sara Evans, Trey Fanjoy
Old Alabama – Brad Paisley w/Alabama, Jim Shea
Old School – Chuck Wicks, Marcel
One More Drinkin’ Song – Jerrod Niemann, Brian Lazzaro
Ours – Taylor Swift, Declan Whitebloom
Paper Airplane – Alison Krauss & Union Station, Randee St. Nicholas
Reality – Kenny Chesney, Shaun Silva
Red Solo Cup – Toby Keith, Michael Salomon
Remind Me – Brad Paisley w/Carrie Underwood, Deaton-Flanigen
Scream – Katie Armiger, Ryan Hamblin
Second Chance – Burns & Poe, Kelly Brooks
Shotgun Girl – the JaneDear Girls, Deaton-Flanigen
Shut Up Train – Little Big Town, Becky Fluke
Somebody’s Chelsea – Reba McEntire, Trey Fanjoy
Somethin’ Bout a Truck – Kip Moore, Roger Pistole
Something Better – The Dirt Drifters, Wes Edwards
Something to Do with Your Hands – Sarah Darling, Stephen Shepherd
Sparks Fly – Taylor Swift, Christian Lamb
Staying’s Worse than Leaving – Sunny Sweeney, Roman White
Storm Warning – Hunter Hayes, Brian Lazzaro
Take a Back Road – Rodney Atkins, Andy Tennant
Take it Off – Joe Nichols, Posty Ponciroli
Tattoos on This Town – Jason Aldean, Wes Edwards
Teenage Daughters – Martina McBride, Roman White
That Girl – Kevin Fowler, Potsy Ponciroli
The Letter – Bill Gentry, ?
The Shape I’m In – Joe Nichols, Trey Fanjoy
The Story of Us – Taylor Swift, Noble Jones
The Trouble with Girls – Scotty McCreery, Roman White
This – Darius Rucker, Trey Fanjoy
Today Is Your Day – Shania Twain, ?
Together You and I – Dolly Parton, Trey Fanjoy
Tomorrow – Chris Young, Trey Fanjoy
Tonight – Sugarland, Marcus Raboy
Tough – Kellie Pickler, Roman White
Wanna Take You Home – Gloriana, TK McKamy
We Owned the Night – Lady Antebellum, Shaun Silva
When Love Gets a Hold on You – Reba McEntire, Glenn Weiss
Where I Come From – Montgomery Gentry, Potsy Ponciroli
Without You – Keith Urban, Chris Hicky
Won’t Be Lonely Long – Josh Thompson, Wes Edwards
You – Chris Young, Chris Hicky
You and Tequila – Kenny Chesney w/Grace Potter, Shaun Silva
You Don’t Know Her Like I Do – Brantley Gilbert, Justin Key or Shane Drake
You Lie – The Band Perry, David McClister


Comments

  1. This is a great list of videos. I can't wait to see how you rank them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.