Skip to main content

Song review: Even If It Breaks Your Heart by Eli Young Band

All right, so I'm so behind in my reviews and want to start getting caught up. This song has been out for a little while, but I still wanted to talk about it so that's what I'm doing. And you can obviously see. Getting right to it.

"Even If It Breaks Your Heart" was written by Will Hoge and Eric Paslay and is performed by the Eli Young Band. This is basically a song about holding onto your dreams even if it hurts. The idea is another well used one, but it's well used because people will always be able to relate to it. In this case, it's specifically about trying to make it in the music business, but can easily apply to just about any dream. I'll be honest and admit that I had to warm up to this one a little bit. For me, the first couple of times I heard it I didn't get pulled into the lyric and the song just didn't really resonate with me. This is one where you need to focus on the words, I feel like. I liked it more when I did that. 

It's nicely written and I seem to appreciate it a little more with each listen. I really like the last couple of lines of the first verse, "Every note just wrapped around his soul/ From steel guitars to Memphis all the way to rock and roll". It's a pretty unique way to describe what happens when music takes a hold of you like that, the first part is almost poetic. 

I feel like the ultimate weakness of this song might be the opening. Musically speaking, there's not much to grab onto. It doesn't get my attention right away and that's never a good thing. I think that's why I never focused on the lyrics at first; the music never stuck out to me. It's not bad necessarily; just not terribly interesting. I'm not a fan of the production on this either. I feel like it needed to be a whole lot bigger. It needed a lot more. There's honestly nothing that stands out musically for me here. The strength of this song is the lyrics themselves.Vocally, it's a very nice delivery by lead singer Mike Eli. I like the tone of his voice a lot; he maybe could've put a little more feeling into this. But still a nice vocal. The background vocals were practically nonexistent in this. 

I find this song very frustrating because with the right production, it could have been great. The lyrics are very solid and the band has the talent needed; it's like they had everything that they needed, but that somehow wasn't enough. I wanted to like this a lot more than I do. I hope that this is one that comes to life more when performed live because it needs it. Now the song is doing very well and seems to have struck a chord with fans. I like Eli Young band so I want them to do well. But this song just doesn't do a whole lot for me personally. As always, this is obviously just my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.