Skip to main content

Song Review: Too Good To Be True by Edens Edge

I've liked Edens Edge from the first time I saw their video for "Amen" and was so happy when it was announced that they'd be joining the Changed tour with Eli Young Band, Little Big Town and, of course, Rascal Flatts. This is such a huge opportunity for them and coming at such a good time for them what with the release of their new single, "Too Good To Be True" and their self-titled debut album, which just came out a couple of weeks ago. I got to meet them on the 23rd of June and have to say that in addition to being great musicians and singers, they are very nice and sweet people. I really don't have enough nice things to say about them and want to encourage anyone who gets a chance to see them, to do so. I will be reviewing their album as a whole, but for now I'm just going to focus on the new single.

Here we go.
So I figure that as long as there's been country music, there's been songs warning women to watch out for certain guys for whatever reason. This is a tried and true theme in the genre and one that isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It is the theme of "Too Good To Be True", a song about a guy who is, all together now, too good to be true. We've all heard this warning at some point in our lives; if something seems too good to be true than it probably is. So be careful. 

This might be an odd way to start, but I'm going to say that there is a crispness to the lyrics that I like. The words are catchy and very singable, as in it's both easy and fun to sing along with and that never hurts. Great melody and rhythm in it. "Too Good To Be True" has so many good lines in it like,"Packing more punch than a Mississippi fist fight" and "Too good to be true/ like diamonds on the soles of my shoes/ like money falling out of the blue". Or my favorite, "Before I knew it my heartstrings unwound/ I fell faster than a cannonball straight down"

The production on this is wonderful and there's so much interesting things going on musically speaking. This is one that's fun to pick one instrument or another and focus on that while it's playing and then listening again and doing the same thing with another instrument. There's some really solid and great playing here. At the moment, I'm partial to the Dobro part. I just love the way Dean Berner played on this song. I'm highlighting him in particular, but really, I enjoy all the music on this. A big kudos to Dean, Cherrill and the rest of the musicians on here. "Too Good To Be True" has a great energy and freshness to it and they're all such a huge part of that.

Vocally speaking, the harmonies are spot on. Hannah, Cherrill and Dean are so rock solid and their voices complement each other's beautifully. When you listen to this and then go back and listen to their first single "Amen", you notice just how versatile Hannah is as a singer. On "Amen", the sweetness of her voice was showcased while "Too Good To Be True" shows a side of her voice that's just a little grittier somehow. There's a distinct sharpness to her voice on here which makes for a great delivery. A lead vocal that is so wonderfully supported by the music and then you throw in Cherrill and Dean and their harmony and it just takes the song to another level. The result is something that should be a very successful single for them. I certainly hope so. 

So that's it for now - be sure to be on the lookout for my review of their debut album, along with all sorts of other stuff. If you haven't already, I'd like to invite you to check out my Facebook page, found here: https://www.facebook.com/CountryMusicAccordingToKim That is a constant work in progress so if you like it, make sure you like the page and keep checking back to see what's been added. I'll be adding more pictures on there all the time, there's already quite a few up already including one for Edens Edge. So check it out! And feel free to share that page or this page with anyone you know who enjoys country music. Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.