Skip to main content

Interview with Shane Morgan

Well, this post is a first: my first interview with an up and coming artist. Actually it's my first interview with an artist period. This isn't something I imagined I'd be doing, but when the opportunity came up I knew I had to do it. And it's something I'd like to do more often. So, that said, if you are an artist and would be interested in doing an interview, let me know! You can get in touch with me here, on twitter or Facebook or you can email me at countrymusicatk@hotmail.com.

This interview is with a guy currently working to make it in country music, Shane Morgan. Shane can be found on twitter at @OfficialSMorgan, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ShaneMorganOfficial or https://www.facebook.com/shanemorganmusic and you can also check out his official website here. He has a CD available on either CDbaby, http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/shanemorgan. You can also purchase his album on iTunes, https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/im-getting-gone/id366770066. So be sure to go check him out on any of the above sites if you want to learn a little more about him. 

Now let's get to the interview, shall we? 
1) First the basics: where are you from, how old are you and what's your musical background/education?

SM: I was born in Rochester, NY, but grew up in Duluth, MN. I am 34 years old. I served in the U.S. Air Force
and music has always been in my life growing up. My grandpa had a band and I learned everything from him.


2) What instruments do you play? What made you want to learn how to play them?

SM: I have played piano, violin/fiddle, and guitar. I just love to play music and violin was always my first choice,  but then as I grew older Guitar was very cool too me and I wanted to learn how to play, so my grandpa taught me how.


3) What made you decide to move to Nashville and how do you like it here?

SM: I have always wanted to live in Nashville, TN. It is Music City USA ya know! I love Nashville, it is a great city filled with great people and lots of music and entertainment. Every night there is some live venue to go see. 


4) Do you write your own songs? If so, do you participate in any songwriting sessions or workshops? If yes, who with?

SM:  No I do not write songs, I network with other songwriters in and around Nashville. 


5) What are your favorite places to play around town or elsewhere?

SM: My favorite places to perform are festivals or places where I can do my original songs. I do not like doing cover songs.


6) What kind of equipment do you use?

SM: I prefer using Gibson, Shure Microphones, Marshall or Peavey for Amps and Speakers.


7) What was your favorite gig?

SM: Favorite Gig was at The Nashville Palace. That is where most of the greats had their first start.


8) What is the weirdest thing that’s ever happened to you on stage? The coolest?

SM: The weirdest thing that happened to me was when a fan jumped up and started singing along with me. That kinda freaked me out, haha. The coolest thing that has ever happened was my first time up on stage seeing all those people out there listening to my songs. PRICELESS.


9) How about the weirdest thing that’s ever happened to you on the road? The neatest?

SM: The weirdest thing happened to me at a gas station in the middle of nowhere. I had stopped in for some coffee and as I was checking out, the lady behind the counter looked at me and said "Oh my God, you're Shane Morgan!" Haha, that was awesome!


10) Who are your biggest influences and what about them inspires you?

SM: My biggest influences are George Strait and Alan Jackson. They are both true to there music and keep it country. 


11) Have you ever met any of them?

SM: No I have never met them, but would really like to someday


12) A lot of country stars have dogs or other pets that go on the road with them. How about you? If so, what’s that like?

SM: I have my dog, Jake. He travels with me pretty much everywhere and is the best on road trips! He will pretty much sleep the entire time unless we pull of somewhere, then he is ready to go. All my fans who have met him have fallen in love with him and he gets treats in the mail from them. 


13) How do you feel you’re progressing in your career? How have you grown as an artist/singer/musician/etc?

SM: I feel that I am growing everyday in my career as an artist. I have learned so many things from mistakes and just watching how other artists make things happen. I am just ready to be out meeting my fans and doing what I love to do.


14) What’s been the hardest obstacle you’ve had to overcome in your career so far?

SM: The hardest thing to overcome so far is just getting booked into venues. But I have a great team behind me now and it is all coming together now. 


15) What unexpected bonuses has playing music brought you? Opportunities you’d never thought you had, meeting or working with people you admire and so on.

SM: Being able to sing for the kids at St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital has been the best bonus so far. Just seeing those kids faces light up when I sing to them and just spending time with them is a blessing for me. But it is great knowing that I can spread happiness and joy to others through my songs.


16) Have any other artists offered you any advice or help?

SM: I have received advice from other songwriters in and around Nashville, but as far as other artists go, I have only met a few and they really didn't give me much advice or help.


17) In the same vein, what is your advice to anyone interested in pursuing a career in music? Any tips?

SM: Stay true to who you are and never give up on following your dream no matter how difficult it may seem. And always remember, nobody just makes it, they all work hard at what they achieve. 


18) Are you where you’d thought you’d be five years go? Where do you see yourself in five years?

SM: No, I am not. I thought by now I would be out touring all around the U.S. or even the world by now. I see myself touring, doing charity events and performing at the Country Music Awards. 


19) What does your family think of you choosing music as a career?

SM: I have a great support team with my family and I am blessed to have them in my life. 


20) Aside from music, what other things do you enjoy? Hobbies, favorite sports teams, what have you.

SM: Aside from the music side of my life I enjoy fishing, camping, traveling and going to theme parks, sporting events. Favorite sports teams are: Football - Washington Redskins, Baseball - New York Yankees and Hockey - Nashville Predators


21) Finally, is there anything else you want people to know about you and your music?

SM: I like to let my fans know that I appreciate all their support and that I try my best to make everyone happy,  even though that isn't always possible. My music comes from the heart and I choose songs that I know others can relate too on a more personal level too. 


And there we go! I'd like to thank Shane for doing this interview! And again, if you'd like to know more about him and his music, check out some of the links I posted in the introduction. Let me know what you thought about this in the comments and thanks, as always, for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.