Skip to main content

My 2013 ACM Thoughts, Picks & Predictions: Part 1

Well, the Academy of Country Music Awards - the ACMs - are less than a week away. So it seemed like time for me to get myself into gear and get my picks all posted. I'm going to try to get all my picks up in two posts and then I'll be doing a couple of follow up posts sometime after the show. Remember the show is this Sunday, April 7th, on CBS at 8PM Eastern and will be hosted by Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan. I'm going to miss seeing Reba hosting, but I'm looking forward to seeing what Blake and Luke come up with. I can only imagine.

I have to say that I thought some of the nominations this year were downright wacky. Some great examples of industry politics coming into play for some of them. I don't blame the artists for this; I just think it's messed up. So for anyone who was disappointed that one of their favorite artists didn't get nominated for anything, please keep this in mind. There were some major snubs this year. Not to mention some ridiculous inclusions. But no matter. They are what they are. So let's get to it. My 2013 ACM picks and predictions. Part 1.

Starting with the big one. Entertainer of the Year.
The nominees: Jason Aldean
                        Luke Bryan
                        Miranda Lambert
                        Blake Shelton
                        Taylor Swift

My thoughts on this category? I might get some flak for this, but I really only agree with two of the nominees. Namely Jason and Taylor. The other three? Well, anyone who knows me knows that Luke Bryan is among my favorite artists. I consider myself to be a proud member of Team Luke. He's one of the strongest entertainers in the category, I'm not going to say he's not. My issue with him being nominated is that he didn't headline a tour last year and I really believe that everyone nominated for Entertainer should have headlined at least one major tour. Luke has his record breaking farm tour that he does every year, but for most of 2012 he was, in fact, an opener. I just think it's weird. As far as the other two? I don't think Miranda's there yet. Though I love seeing another woman get nominated. Blake? Well, when people talk about Blake you know what they talk about? His looks. His antics. His relationship with Miranda. The Voice. Sometimes his songs. But I never see anyone talk about his live show. And yes, I'm aware that there's a lot of factors involved in choosing Entertainer, but I believe the nominees in this category should be known for their live show. That should be the most important factor. As far as his involvement on The Voice? I think that The Voice benefits more from having Blake on there than country music does. That may be a controversial opinion, but there it is. 

My pick? This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone - Jason Aldean. 

My prediction? This one is one of the two fan voted categories which makes it a little hard to predict. There's some hardcore fan bases involved. But I have a feeling that Team Luke is going to bring this one home for Luke Bryan. Remember: you can vote once a day at voteacm.com every day until the 7th.


Next up:
Male Vocalist of the Year
The nominees: Jason Aldean
                         Luke Bryan
                         Eric Church
                         Toby Keith
                         Blake Shelton

My thoughts? The only person that really surprised me in this category was Toby Keith, who tends to be overlooked at award shows. Can't say I have a problem with his nomination, it just threw me. I do think that Chris Young deserved a nod, but maybe next year. But there's no denying that 2012 was a huge year for Jason, Luke and Eric.

My pick? Tough one, but I'm going with Luke Bryan.

My prediction? It's probably a toss up between Luke and Blake. I really don't see Toby or Eric winning. I can't really count Jason out, especially since I'd argue that he had the biggest year out of everyone nominated last year. Blake has one of the strongest voices in the category, but Luke has been on a roll lately. I'll go with Luke.


Female Vocalist of the Year
The nominees: Miranda Lambert
                        Martina McBride
                        Kacey Musgraves
                        Taylor Swift
                        Carrie Underwood

My thoughts? Four of the women nominated are who I've come to expect to see up in this category. And then there's Kacey Musgraves. Now please don't think that I have anything against Kacey because  I don't. But I don't understand how someone can be nominated for an award as big as this one before their debut album gets released. Especially when, at the time of the nomination, they'd only released one single to country radio. I just don't think it's right. It's way too soon. 

My pick? Carrie Underwood.

My prediction? This one's going to be interesting. I don't see Kacey or Martina winning and the three remaining nominees are doing very well, to say the least. There was nothing country about Taylor's newest album and I think that might hurt her chances. Which means I think it's between Miranda and Carrie. And I think it's going to go to Carrie.


Vocal Duo of the Year
The nominees: Big & Rich
                        Florida Georgia Line
                        Love and Theft
                        Sugarland
                        Thompson Square

My thoughts? It's been over two years since Sugarland has released a single, so it's a little weird to see them nominated. But they've become a given in this category. I love that we have some fresh blood in this category. Namely Florida Georgia Line. No surprises here really. 

My pick? I'll go with Thompson Square.

My prediction? I think we can eliminate both Sugarland and Big & Rich. Thompson Square won last year and their latest single "If I Didn't Have You" is currently at #4 on the Mediabase country charts. They've just released their new album, Just Feels Good, and it's a good one. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they won. But I just can't completely rule out Love and Theft or Florida Georgia Line. I'll call it for Thompson Square. I'm really curious about this one. 


Vocal Group the of Year
The nominees: The Band Perry
                        Eli Young Band
                        Lady Antebellum
                        Little Big Town
                        Zac Brown Band

My thoughts? I really thought that Rascal Flatts deserved a nomination and was disappointed when they didn't get one. Aside from that I really don't have too many thoughts about this category. I can understand why everyone got nominated here. Even if I don't necessarily agree.

My pick? Little Big Town

My prediction? Little Big Town. "Pontoon" was arguably the biggest song released by a group last year, becoming their very first #1. And then they followed that by having their next single, "Tornado", become their second #1. Not to mention the fact that they won Vocal Group of the Year at the CMAs, their first ever win in that category. Things have been looking pretty good for Little Big Town and I think they're going to continue the trend and take this one home.


New Artist of the Year
The nominees: Brantley Gilbert
                        Florida Georgia Line
                        Jana Kramer

My thoughts? I don't have many, to be honest. I was not surprised at all when it was announced that each of these artists had won their respective categories. It's kind of interesting that two of the nominees are engaged and competing against each other; I wonder if that's ever happened before. But yeah, this category turned out exactly how I expected it too.

My pick? Florida Georgia Line

My prediction? Like Entertainer, this one is fan voted and once again there's some hardcore fan bases battling it out. I think it'll be between Brantley and Florida Georgia Line. The BG Nation will no doubt be putting up a strong fight for their boy. I'd say that Florida Georgia Line has done the best campaigning of all the nominees. Not to mention that "Cruise" was a huge hit for them, the biggest song released by any of the nominees last year, in my opinion. Their current single, "Get Your Shine On" is currently in the top ten on Mediabase. If this wasn't fan voted, I'd expect them to win. As it is, I'm still going to tentatively call this for Florida Georgia Line. 

And that wraps up part 1! The next post will feature the following categories: Album of the Year, Single of the Year, Song of the Year, Video of the Year and Vocal Event of the Year. So stay tuned and thanks, as always, for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.