Skip to main content

August Favorites

Here we are in the middle of August. It's been crazy hot in some places and there's been days where the humidity has been practically suffocating. There's people longing for fall to arrive and I'm one of them. Bring on the cooler temperatures and beautiful foliage. You know what else happens in the fall? The return of hockey. Yep, I recognize that people are generally a lot more excited about football, but I'm much more of a hockey girl. In any event, summer isn't going anywhere just yet. So with that in mind, I'd like to tell y'all which songs I'm currently loving. Songs that were made for these summer months. You know the kind I mean.

Songs that make you want to crank the volume up and roll the windows down. The songs that make you want to dance, possibly like an idiot. Maybe especially like an idiot. It's okay. You do you. No judgment here. These songs are more about fun than anything else. Most of them are country; a few are not. Some are currently on the radio and others aren't. Some are pretty news and others have been around for a while. You'll recognize some artists and may be introduced to others. As you may have gleaned from all this is that there wasn't exactly a strict criteria in place for choosing these songs. These are really just the songs that I've been listening to the most. If the song has some kind of video, it'll be included. If not, they'll just be a link to listen/buy.

We're going to kick this off with....


"House Party" by Sam Hunt. Felt appropriate. Full disclosure: I haven't quite made up my mind about Sam Hunt just yet. I have his album, but haven't listened to the whole thing yet. Plus I have a hunch that he's one you need to see live. The singles have been pretty good and this is my favorite so far. It kind of snuck up of me sometime over the past couple of weeks. I bet this is a blast live.

"Uptown Funk" by The Exchange. I'd love to know how many people have covered this because it seems like an insane amount of artists have. Here's something funny. I have multiple versions of this and none of them are the original. I like most of the versions I've heard, but there's something about this one that kind of blows the others out of the water. The Exchange is such a high energy group and you really feel that here.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/uptown-funk/id969579489?i=969579510

"Gonna Get Burned" by Rachel Potter. My favorite female artist at the moment, to be honest. I reviewed her fantastic Not So Black and White album here and will be posting about her country group, Steel Union, in the very near future. Love her voice. Love this song. You know there's trouble brewing the moment it starts. This song keeps you on edge in the best possible way.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/gonna-get-burned/id966604482?i=966604485

"Country Fried Pop Medley" by Home Free. 15 pop songs all countrified for four minutes of musical awesome. Shout-out to high tenor Austin Brown for the arrangement. He did such a great job. The video is absurdly entertaining. These guys are wonderful and I kind of adore them. No, scratch that. I definitely adore them. The video is right below, but as of now the only way to get the song itself is by supporting them on Patreon, which you can learn more about here. Interested in supporting Home Free? You can check out their page here.


"Lose My Mind" by Brett Eldredge. Oh, how I love watching Brett's popularity grow. I've been rooting for him since "Raymond" came out and now great things are happening for him. He's seemed to reach a new level of confidence lately too. I love this song. Great feel to it too. Although that applies to every song on here.


"Skinny Dippin'" by Cody Parks. Here's someone that you may not have heard of yet. Cody joins the long lost of country artists who hail from the great state of Georgia. This song is one of the newest favorites on the list. It's one of those that manages to feel kind of familiar, but is still its own thing. The first word that comes to mind listening to this is fresh. It has a nice flow that just feels good. Honestly if this is the quality of music he's going to be putting out, it's only a matter of time before he becomes nationally known. I predict good things for this guy. Definitely check him out for yourselves here and see what you think.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/skinny-dippin/id1015416397?i=1015416401

"Dibs" by Kelsea Ballerini. This song is so catchy and is coming out at a great time. It's maybe a little more laid back than some of the other songs on here, but it has a good groove. Sweet song; should do pretty well for her. Meanwhile, I didn't realize it when I was picking songs for this, but this is kind of like the female's perspective of the next song on the list. How serendipitous.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/dibs/id981555052?i=981555495


"Already Callin' You Mine" by Parmalee. A song that they describe as that moment when your relationship become Facebook official. Oh, what a time we live in. It seems like it's finally starting to build some more momentum which makes me happy. Great little song; one that might just make you want to break out the air drums. Not that I ever do that or anything. Ahem. Drummer Scott Thomas wins the shout-out here.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/already-callin-you-mine/id740979104?i=740979168


"Pretty Little Mustang" by Mickey Guyton. You ever hear a song that you just can't help belting out whenever you hear it? And if you're unable to for some reason, you have to keep stopping yourself? Well, this would be one of those for me. Mickey Guyton is one of my favorite up-and-comers. Such a pretty voice and such a great sound. I love the message of this song. It's not just a fun song to dance to; it's about embracing and celebrating who you are and not being afraid to let yourself shine. There's something quite liberating about singing along with this one. Turn it up and belt it out. That's what I say. Especially whenever you're not feeling too sure about yourself. It'll help. I promise.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/pretty-little-mustang/id1020334615?i=1020334996 

"Headphones" by Jackie Lee. I got to see Jackie perform this during CMAFest and it was my favorite song of what was a very strong set overall. He knows what's up. Headphones on, the rest of the world off. It's all about the music and the movement. I love it.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/headphones/id981252293?i=981252294
Lyric video: https://youtu.be/O4l_Oq2w_oE 

"Cheerleader" by VoicePlay. Yeah...these guys making this list should surprise absolutely no one who knows or follows me. This song is originally by OMI and I'd never heard it until they released their video. It's ridiculous how catchy it is - the rap especially. Props to high tenor Earl Elkins. Nicely done. The video is, well, I'm not sure how to describe it actually. There's workout equipment and choreography and it makes me laugh. These guys, though. These guys. You'll want to keep watching 'til the end.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/cheerleader/id1029910622?i=1029911079




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.