Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: Mom by Home Free

Mother's Day is this Sunday and what better way to pay tribute to all of the wonderful moms out there than with a sweet Home Free video? This is their beautiful cover of "Mom" by Garth Brooks. A word of warning: if you are a mom or have or had a great mom, you might want to grab some tissues before watching. This is one of those.

Watching this makes me think not just of my mom, but all of the others moms I've had in my life. For my mom, who is not just my mom but is also one of my best friends. One of my main concert buddies and one of the reasons why I love to read and, by extension, write. For Babi, my dad's mom, who we lost way too soon. She called me Kimbe and we had a special bond. Some of the best memories from my childhood are from when we'd drive down to Chincoteague Island in Virgnia to see her and also go to their annual Pony Penning. For my grandmom, who was not exactly what you'd call a soft woman. She was strong and tough, but there was never a time when I doubted her love for us. When I think of her, I think of playing with Barbies in her office or watching Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy up in her apartment when she babysat me. She always had the best snacks too.

And for my great-grandmom, who I'm so happy I got to have in my life for as long as I did. Though it wasn't for long enough. She is what I think of when I hear the word lady. She was from France and never quite lost her accent. She wore high heels regularly and I can't remember ever seeing her without her nails done and lipstick on. She is the reason why I started taking French in 7th grade instead of Spanish. I ended up taking it for eight years total and those first two were rough. My fondest memory of her is having lunch at the family restaurant, just me and her, and she was teaching me the French words for everything. As it turned out, French ended up being one of my best subjects.

So yes, I guess you can say that I was blessed in the mom department. I dedicate this post to all of them. So much of who I am today is because of those four women. Three of whom are no longer with us, but who I trust are up there in heaven keeping an eye on things. So to those three in heaven and especially to my mom, I say thank you and I love you all. And as the aunt to three awesome nephews and two adorable nieces, I also want to give my sisters-in-law Allison and Diana a shoutout for doing such a great job with them. Along with all of my friends who are great moms. There's a lot of you now!

But really, this song and video is for all of the moms out there. From all of you soon-to-be moms and news moms up to the grandmothers and great-grandmothers and beyond. This is for all of you.

Happy Mother's Day!





Suffice to say, I think the gentlemen of Home Free knocked this one out of the park. First for a group that has as much fun as Home Free does, it's always nice when we get to see a more emotional side of them. I always love hearing wonderful vocal groups sing ballads because these are the songs that allow the beautiful harmonies to shine through in a way that faster songs don't. I feel that ballads are also the best songs to show off the magic that is a cappella music. Part of the reason so many people are drawn to a cappella is because they're looking for something simpler. We live in this time where it's often go big or go home. The spectacle has overtaken the talent in many ways. But a cappella isn't just music without instrumental accompaniment. It is also music without distractions.

See, one of the great things about a cappella music is the lack of filler. You have five men, in this case, singing four-part harmony with one (Adam Rupp) providing the vocal percussion. There's no room for anything else. This is music in its purest form. It goes to show that no instrument can trump the power of the human voice. Everything about this is so beautiful. It's always great when we get to hear everyone solo in the same song since it doesn't always happen. Tim Foust starts this off with that rich and warm bass voice of his. Then we have that luscious chorus that features Chris Rupp at the end. That's second tenor Rob Lundquist singing the second verse and high tenor Austin Brown on the bridge. It's hard to beat great voices singing with this much sincerity. That's another thing about a cappella music: because it's so stripped down as compared to other forms of music, it puts the singers in a somewhat vulnerable position. While emotion should always come from a real place, a cappella kind of leaves performers with no choice. There's no instruments to hide behind. So if it's going to work, you need to feel it. 

For Adam's part, this video serves to highlight how good he is at what he does. He's such a charismatic performer and so entertaining to watch live that it's interesting to watch how he pulls back here. A less talented vocal percussionist could have easily overtaken the other four in a song like this, but Adam doesn't. He understand what a song needs percussion-wise and does exactly that. No more, no less. 

Visually speaking, I like the decision to have the Home Free boys sitting against the dark backdrop. The simplicity of that setting is a nice contrast to all the heartwarming shots of all the moms with their kids. You can really feel the love in this video. It's poignant and beautiful. I could not imagine a better treatment than what they chose. Wonderfully done. Nice touch with Home Free honoring their own moms at the end.

Want to stay up to date with Home Free? Here you go.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.