Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: Die a Happy Man by Home Free

Considering that it's been over two months since I last wrote about Home Free, this is long overdue! They've put out a string of wonderful videos over the past couple of months. Although, let's be real: I don't know if these guys are capable of releasing a video that isn't wonderful. They give me the same problem that so many of my other current favorite acts give me. Namely, that there's so many great things to choose from that it can be nearly impossible to pick. I'd been leaning towards writing about this one and that decision was sealed after putting up a poll on Twitter.

This is Home Free's cover of "Die a Happy Man" by Thomas Rhett and it's beautiful. Take a few minutes to watch and see for yourselves and then we'll talk more about it afterwards. Deal? Deal.




Oh where to begin? Well first of all, sorry to break the hearts of all you Foust fanatics out there, but if you didn't know the bass man is getting married. That would be his lovely fiancee, Jenika, with him in the video. This past July, Tim did a special show here in Nashville and we got to see the two of them together - along with some other singers. I think that having seen the two of them interact with each other before this video came out added an extra level of sweetness. You can't help but see the love between the two of them and it's so beautiful to witness. How wonderful that they have this video to look back on down the road. Country music is at its very best when it's genuine and this is certainly that. Here's wishing Jenika and Tim a lifetime of happiness together!

Honestly, the two of them make this video lovely on their own, but goodness knows that I can't neglect the others. Vocal percussionist Adam Rupp keeps it nice and simple with the percussion, proving once again that he always knows what a song requires and does that. Nothing more, nothing less. Adam always shines, but especially so in two instances: in songs like this, where he pulls back a bit and lets the lead and harmonies take the spotlight. And during his solos in their live shows which are, frankly, ridiculous. I mean that in the most complimentary way imaginable. I can't adequately describe what his percussion solos are like; you have to experience them for yourselves. Honestly, if his solos were the only reason you were seeing them live, it'd still be worth it. Even if the harmonies weren't that good.

That said, this is Home Free we're talking about here. So the harmonies? Flawless. I always feel like I need at least three listens/viewings until I can really start to fully appreciate one of their songs. The first time is all about taking in the song as a whole. I probably put more focus on the lead and the visuals, if I'm watching a video. Then a listen/watch where I focus on whatever the rhythm section is doing - that would be Adam and Tim (Or Chance, if Tim is on lead at the moment). And then the next time the focus shifts to the luscious harmonies supporting the lead vocal. What's great about Home Free is that I can continue finding new things to love the more times I listen. That's one of the reasons I love them.

You know what else I love? The fact that "Die a Happy Man" starts off by featuring their new baritone Chance (Adam Chance - we call him Chance to avoid confusion). I think the song suits his voice rather nicely and it has me looking forward to more solos from him in the future. I love the tone of his voice and the way it fits in with the others. Tim takes over from there and if Chance's solo didn't get you smiling, Tim's should do it. Then the way it transitions to Rob's soulful tenor for the bridge and then it's Austin's turn to solo. One of the best things about Home Free (really, any great vocal group) is that they are all perfectly capable of handling the lead vocal. So regardless of who sings what and when, you know you're always in good hands. I always like when groups trade off verses and lines - not that there's anything wrong with one person on lead, mind you, but trading off adds a lot more color to an arrangement.

So it's another win for Home Free, but that's no surprise to those of us who love them. If you loved them and want more of them - who could blame you? - I got you covered.
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Patreon

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.