Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: The Hound + The Fox

Usually when I do a video spotlight I'll pick one video to highlight, but I'm changing it up a bit. Because here's the thing: it was my love of the music video that first inspired me to start this blog. There are so many great music videos out there with new ones coming out all the time. I don't think I'll ever be able to get to them all. But in an effort to be able to talk about more of them, I've decided that they'll be times when I put the spotlight on a specific artist instead of a single video. Each one of these will include five of their videos.

The idea first came about when I determined that my next post would feature The Hound + The Fox. The only problem was that I couldn't pick which video of theirs to talk about. And so a new series, if you'd call it that, was born. There'll still be video spotlights that focus on one video and one video alone, but this'll allow me to get to more of them. Plus I think it's a good way to introduce people to artists that they maybe haven't heard before.

I included The Hound + The Fox in a couple of posts I did a couple of years ago about some of my favorite Christmas videos from the acts that I supported on Patreon. Some of you may already be familiar with them, but if you're not, The Hound + The Fox is the husband and wife duo of Reilly and McKenzie Zamber. Based out of Oregon, they do a combination of beautiful covers and originals. I hope that after watching these videos you'll be inspired to see what else they have on their channel.

Let's get started.


1. "Issues". I've lost count of how many times I've watched or listened to this one since they released it back in March. This is a cover - this was originally done by Julia Michaels. One of my favorite things about this video is that they put their own spin on the lyrics. I always appreciate when music videos do that. It adds another dimension to the song and I like that. The Hound + The Fox has a laid back vibe that I really like. You'll notice it in all these videos. This song suits them so well and the video features their adorable son. It's really sweet and charming. I think you'll like it.



2. "Castle on a Hill / 7 Years". Oh how I love a good mashup. This will not be a surprise to anyone who knows me since I've talked about quite a few of them on here. I think it's so interesting to hear how different songs might fit together, though I would say that there's an art to it. It's one thing to put two (sometimes more) songs together; it's another to do it well. It's quite another to do it this well. They take Ed Sheeran's "Castle On The Hill" and blend it with "7 Years" by Lukas Graham in such a way that it doesn't even feel like a mashup. It seems like most mashups are done without much concern for the lyrics. It's more about how the songs sound than it is about the words, if you feel me. That's not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but I love when people think about the actual words. Reilly and McKenzie did such a fantastic job with this. Sometimes I forget that this is actually two songs blended together because they fit together so seamlessly. I also love the way this feels; I find it pretty infectious. It has a way of getting stuck in my head and I'm completely okay with that. This might just be my favorite of their videos to date. Check it out. 



3. "Falling Slowly". Both of the previous videos were released this year, but this one was released back in 2013. It was an easy choice for this list. It's a beautiful version of this song, originally performed by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. Every now and then I'll watch a video and wonder how it doesn't have a lot more views than it does and that's what I wonder every time I watch this. It's so beautifully done. Both in regards to their voices and the video itself. This song feels like it was made for these two to sing it. 



4. "For the Dancing and the Dreaming". This song is from How to Train Your Dragon 2 and what a sweet song it is. Their version features the very talented Taylor Davis on violin. It always a treat listening to Taylor play and I'm so happy they decided to feature her. It gives it that little something extra. This is such a pretty cover and the video makes me smile. 



5. "Feel Me". It seemed only fitting to include one of their originals and I decided to go with the most recent.  This one came out near of the end of April. It's a lyric video and I don't feature those often, but I knew this was the right choice. Besides, lyric videos are actually a great way to be introduced to some songs, I think, and this one is prettier than most. It's a great song and I love how they put so much feeling in whatever they're singing. 



So that was a video spotlight on The Hound + The Fox. Like I said in the introduction, I hope that this has inspired you to go check out their other videos. If you'd like to keep up with The Hound + the Fox, you can find all their socials listed below. Thanks for reading!
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Patreon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.