Skip to main content

New look, new content and a new introduction

Hello and welcome, everyone! After what I considered to be a pretty successful writing year last year, this year I found myself taking a completely unplanned hiatus from writing. There were months where I didn't write anything. Then when I did start writing again, it wasn't for here. But I've recently renewed my commitment to my blog and thought that it wouldn't hurt to do a brand new introduction post. To go along with the new look. I was ready for a change.

But first, the basics. My name is Kim and I'm originally from Washington, D.C. but currently reside in Nashville, TN which I absolutely love. I grew up listening to a variety of music and it's always been one of the most important things in my life. This blog started off as a strictly country music blog, but a couple of years ago I decided to change my focus. There'll still be plenty of country music talked about on here, but these days? I write about whatever music related things I like, regardless of genre. Every now and then I'll also write about other things.

So what kinds of things can you expect? Here's a quick list.

1) Album and EP reviews. I got away from doing them last year for the most part and have decided that I need to start doing them more often. I generally start off with some general thoughts about the album or EP and then break it down and talk about each track individually.

2) In the same vein, I have an albums worth owning series. If you want to call it a series. This is where I talk about some great albums that came out years ago. Because a great album is a great album is a great album. No matter when it got released. These posts will follow the same format as my regular album reviews. I'll be kicking this off with a write-up of Travis Tritt's great It's All About To Change album.

3) A continuation of my Arthritis Awareness: Music Therapy series. I have a little collection, if you will, of chronic health problems and rheumatoid arthritis is the big one. Most of the other things I have are related to that. Two of the most problematic ones being anxiety and depression. There's various things that can help me, but music is a big one. Which is what made me want to start this series. It's where I talk about some of the songs that help me deal with my health issues in the hopes that it might help others dealing with the same things. Or anything, really.

4) Video spotlights. These kind of became my main focus last year and they will be continuing, albeit with a very slight twist.  This is where I shine a spotlight of a music video that I like. There's two kinds of video spotlights. There's the "regular" spotlights which feature only one video. And then there's the artist video spotlights. This is where I pick five videos from an artist and write a little bit about each of them.

5) If you know me, you know that I love musicals. Last year, I dedicated a week to The Phantom of the Opera in celebration of the show returning to Nashville after almost two decades away. I've decided that I want to talk a little more about musicals around here. Next month, I'll be dedicating a week or two to Les Misérables. This month, meanwhile, I'll be posting my thoughts on one of my new favorite musicals: Something Rotten.

6) Various other odds and ends.

Let me conclude by saying that I always enjoy finding new artists to like. So in saying that, if there are any artists or music videos that you think deserve to be featured, please let me know so I can check them out! You can leave a comment below or hit me up on twitter @countrymusicatk. No guarantees, but if I like it there's a good chance that I'll write about it. Generally the more I like something, the better the chances.

I'm really looking forward to getting this blog up and going again. There's so much great music and music related things for me to talk about. My main goal this time around is to be a lot more consistent. The plan is to post something every Tuesday and Friday, with some special weeks having more posts. I'm going to do my best.

Thanks for reading and be sure to stay tuned!
~ Kim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.