Skip to main content

My top 50 videos of 2011: #10 - 6

When I first started this countdown, I had no idea that I had so much to say about all of these videos. There's been a few where the words haven't come easily and others where I couldn't seem to stop myself. It's been an interesting experience for me and hopefully interesting for my readers as well. We're now going to be getting into the top 10 and I'm very excited about reaching this point. In a year of great videos, these were the cream of the crop, in my opinion. So let's begin...
I made a prediction on twitter the other day and the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that it's going to happen. I believe that 2012 is going to be the year of Kellie Pickler and Dierks Bentley. They've both released albums lately, 100 Proof and Home respectively and I think they are both fantastic. This countdown has showcased them both already and now it's time got one of them to make a reappearance to kick off the top 10.

Here's Dierks Bentley, coming in at #10 with "Am I The Only One". Directed by Deaton Flanigen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkzp7Gp2kEU&ob=av2e


Okay, so if you ask me, this videos has three things going for it that helped put it in this position. The first, a fun, catchy song. The second, the appearance of Jake, who as any Dierks Bentley fan knows is one of his dogs and hey, you gotta love a guy who loves his dog, am I right? And finally, the third, his band is in this. If you read the last part of this countdown, you know that I love when artists include their bands in their videos. Especially when they get featured in it and when it comes to band participation, this is one of the best.

Why? Because any video that features a tattooed drummer sinking gleefully into a bubble bath after blowing off his lead singer is clearly made of win. The expression he makes as he does that is just perfect and never fails to cause a chuckle. And then you have the milk drinking guitar playing and the bass player who doesn't want to go out because he can't miss Idol. Dierks is pretty entertaining here with his lines, the disbelief over the need to watch Idol and before that, "date night? With your wife!?" I just love it. The video carries on the sentiment of the song when Dierks shows up at the bar where there is basically nothing going on, until the designated pretty girl shows up and saves Dierks from his boredom. Cue a party at the house. And the answer to the question Dierks has been asking this whole time. No, Dierks, you are not the only one who wants to have a good time tonight. Great video and a great way to kick off the top ten.

Moving along, I've come to a conclusion lately. And is it this: Nicole Kidman's life does not suck. I mean, think about it. She's made a successful career as an actress and has starred in some really good movies. A favorite of mine being Practical Magic with Sandra Bullock. She has cute kids, has home in multiple continents, she has a cool accent and she's beautiful. And in addition to all that, she's married to the next artist on my countdown, who in addition to being pretty easy to look at is also one heck of a guitar player and songwriter. A songwriter who writes beautiful songs like this next one.

I'm talking about Keith Urban, who is surprisingly only now making his first appearance on my countdown. Keith Urban, who made a triumphant return back to the stage on the Grand Ole on February 3rd after having throat surgery. I was lucky enough to be at this show and am happy to report that he is sounding better than ever. Welcome back, Keith. 

At #9, here is Keith Urban with his video for "Without You", directed by Chris Hicky. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_33S3mAz38U


If I had to describe Keith Urban is a word, I think that word would be sincere. There is just something so genuine about him that's too pure to not be real. When he sings, I believe it. It doesn't matter what he's singing, if the song is fast or slow or somewhere in the middle - it always feels honest. Perhaps no more so than it does in this video here. I find this song to be so personal even though he didn't write it himself. A fact I was astonished to learn. It really sounds like a song he would have written for his wife; it seems to sum up the way he feels about her. Which is what I imagine drew him to record this song. It feels very appropriate that I would happen to writing about this particular song on what is now Valentine's Day. 

The video is relatively simple, starting off with a sparsely furnished room that he just walks into, filmed in classic black and white. This is another example of beauty being found in the simplicity. Now Keith sitting in a room and singing in black and white isn't new as I know he did something very similar in another of his videos. What sets this apart is what's going on in the background and around him. Video footage that includes snippets of his and Nicole's wedding and them running around on a beach mixed with shots of him on stage. It's a beautiful, beautiful video. 

Okay, now that Keith Urban has ruined all other men for all of us single girls out there, let's move on to #8. In this spot I have another love song. This one by Taylor Swift. Here's "Ours", directed by Declan Whitebloom. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2k07ToaRA


This videos features one of my favorite devices sometimes used in music videos. At first I wanted to refer to it as the twist; something that happens that serves to change the plot of the video in some way, usually serving to  take the video, and often the lyrics themselves, to another level entirely. Something that deepens the plot  in an unexpected way. That's a device that you'll see popping up more than once here in the top ten. Any video that pull this off successfully is  pretty much always one I end up absolutely loving. 

But I'll get to the twist here in a moment. First I want to say that I love the normalcy here. Taylor's not a princess in this one, like she tends to be. Here she's your average 9-to-5 cubicle worker stuck in a job that's mundane on the best days. Her one bright spot in this world of bleakness is the love she has for the man in her life. Switching gears to the lyrics themselves, this is a nice little love song basically saying that whatever anyone thinks about their love doesn't matter because this love is theirs. This love is what they have chosen and what they want. It's a very sweet lyric, I think. 

Now. The twist. All throughout the video, there's been shots of Taylor watching videos of her and her guy with never fail to make her smile. The assumption at first is just that she wishes she was with him instead of being at work. And nothing all that deep about that, really. Nothing wrong with it either. The day continues and it seems like a never ending string of things going wrong combined with co-workers who are not exactly pleasant. There's a couple of lines in the chorus, "The stakes are high, the water's rough, but this love is ours."  Lines that suddenly become a whole lot deeper when we understand what's been going on. Taylor has finally been freed from the prison of her job and is on her way to the airport, where she's anxiously searching for her man. Who walks out of the airport in army combat uniform. A man who is coming home, presumably after being at war, and all of a sudden this gets a lot more real and the full meaning of the words hits home in a new way.

"The stakes are high, the water's rough, but this love is ours."

My how the mood has changed since we started with Dierks Bentley. We've gone from a guy wanting to party, to a man singing about the love of his life, to a girl longing to be reunited with the love of hers, and now we find ourselves with a guy who wishes he could go to heaven to visit the people he's lost. This part of the countdown is just a barrel of laughs isn't it? 

Coming in at #7, I have Justin Moore with his Peter Zavadil directed video for "If Heaven Wasn't So Far Away"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55GAUgjpDQA&ob=


You know, as much as I love both the song and accompanying video, I've been almost dreading the time when I'd have to write about it. Because I always have the videos playing over and over while I'm writing about them and this is one that has a habit of getting to me because it's one of those songs that hits an emotional button with me. These songs tend to be among my favorites because I love when songs can affect me in a personal way. I think those are the best and the ones most likely to help launch an artist into a new level of stardom. I think it's because people love songs that make them feel something and with a song like this, if you've ever lost anyone you loved - especially if you lost them before you think you should've - you will relate to the sentiment of this song.

How many of us would visit heaven if we could? If we could go and spend some time with the people we've lost? It's like the song suggests, maybe it'd be easier to lose them if we could still see them somehow. If heaven wasn't so far away, what would you do and who would you want to see? For me, I think of things like watching Jeopardy with my grandmom or having pizza with a family friend named Jack who was like a grandfather to me. Or maybe I'd get my great-grandmom to teach me some more words in French or go find all the dogs we had while I was growing up because even here at 28 I believe that dogs go to heaven. I'd find a couple of friends that passed before their time and just hang out for a while. So yes, I get what this song is talking about in a very real kind of way.

The thing that makes this video so special is how real it feels. Justin Moore might be playing the part of a mechanic, but I think that what we're witnessing in this is the playing out off genuine emotions. I don't think there's a lot of acting going on in that department. The song obviously struck something in Justin Moore and that comes across in the video. If you read the last part of my countdown, you saw my little speech about what country music is and this, right here, is another example of what I'm talking about. 

Moving on because I'm ready for something a little lighter. Making her final appearance in the countdown and wrapping up this particular portion of the countdown is Taylor Swift, at #6 with her video for "Mean".  Directed by Declan Whitebloom. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYa1eI1hpDE


Last night Taylor Swift won two Grammy's, both for this song, and I have to say that there is a certain poetic justice about that fact that I just love. I've seen people post some pretty scathing remarks about various artists, but I think some of the comments I've seen about Taylor might take the cake. I've read some horrible things about her and most of the time they are said for apparently no reason other than that it seems like it's cool to trash her. Now, look, I'm not saying everyone needs to love everyone. Sometimes there's just people or artists who you just don't like. Nothing wrong with that. And if you don't like someone, you certainly have the right to say so.

But there's a fine line between respectfully stating your dislike and outright bashing and it's the latter that I can't stand. A fact that applies to anything really. I just don't see the need to bash another person as harshly as people can and do. No need for people to be mean to other people. I believe that Taylor wrote this song with a specific critic in mind, though there's no shortage of people she can apply it to. And this is a universal thing because we all know these kinds of people and while people like that can change, they usually do not. 

Now, as for the video itself, it's like watching a Broadway play. I love that it has that feel to it and I really like all the different sets going on. Not to mention all the story lines; all featuring people being mean to different people. You have the boy aspiring to be a fashion designer, the girl saving up for college and a little girl who dares to wear a sash of a different color. The horror. But never fear because all turns out well for our hero and heroines. Fantastic video that gets points for featuring the band and I have to give a special shout out to the guys who have Taylor tied up to the train tracks; they were great! Seriously, watch the video again and focus on them instead of her. 

So there we go! The first half of the top ten, done. Only 5 more videos to go. Any guesses? Comments are always welcome! Really, I promise I don't bite. Hoping to get the last part of the countdown up in a couple of days and then it'll be time to move on to other things. I'm going to be doing a post about that little trivia contest thing I started in the last blog and will be including some pictures so be on the lookout for that. Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.