Skip to main content

My top 50 videos of 2011: #2 and #1

Okay. Now. I said that I basically knew what my top three would be when I started making the list for this. Out of those three, I knew that Blake would come in 3rd. I figured that out early. But I have to admit that I went back and forth on the top two for a while. They're pretty equal in my eyes and what makes it harder is that they're both songs I love by two artists I love. What it ultimately came down to is the fact that one of them used "the twist" and the other did not. But really, both videos are fantastic and the difference between the two is pretty small. So let's get to it!



So coming in at #2 is Eric Church with "Homeboy". Directed by Peter Zavadil. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-dUsh6OT8


The first time I saw Eric Church was around the time his first CD came out. I remember seeing the video for "How 'Bout You" and just knowing that he'd do well. He put on a great show back then and I remember getting to meet him afterwards and telling him that. It's interesting thinking about that now when he is headlining his first arena tour. He's come a long way since then, though I feel like he was sort of under the radar until relatively recently. I think that is fan base is one of the most loyal and hardcore I've seen and seeing him in concert is more than a show; it's an experience. I'm so happy that Chief is getting all the attention it's getting and I wish his previous albums had gotten as much.

So yeah, I'm a fan. A fan who thinks that "Homeboy" was one of the best songs of 2011. There are so many great lyrics in this, including this next part I'm going to quote which may just be among my favorite lyrics ever: "You can't hold back the hands of time, Mama's goin' gray and so is Daddy's mind. I wish you'd come on back and make it all right before they're called home, boy." Such fantastic lyrics there, I can't even. Just a wonderful piece of songwriting here and the video is the perfect companion to it. I love that it starts off with Eric taking off his sunglasses and singing directly to the camera. I love when artists do that because it adds a certain level of intimacy that makes it feel so real and raw and honest. Add it with the story line playing out with the lead actor and the shots of Eric with the guitar and sunglasses and it just makes for such a memorable video.

My favorite part starts during the lyrics I posted, what with the match getting lit and flung and the music fading into the background for a moment before that chord kicks in. This might be an odd comment, but I think there is an almost delicious tension to that chord as it builds before the drums kick back in at the actor bangs the table. Cue his actions matching up with the beats as he throws everything off the table. And that moment where you just know that he realizes that things aren't working and the only way to fix it is to go back home. Such a great video.

All right, now, here we are at the final position on the countdown. 49 videos have come and gone and we've arrived at what I think was the best country music video of 2011. 

At #1, representing the fine state of Georgia, is Mr. Jason Aldean. The director? Wes Edwards. The song? "Tattoos On This Town"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-zks4FRlI



I have to say that I love how this one starts, with the opening shot of the water and the puff of exhaust coming out of the car as the music starts. Now if you've been paying attention, you know I love when the bands get included in the videos, especially when it's Jason since that's kind of a thing with him. And you may remember me giving him a minor strike for the lack of band in "Dirt Road Anthem". So you can imagine that this video makes me happy because in addition to the other things going for it, which I'll get to in a second, the band is back. This is more like it, Jason, take a note. Not only is the band back, but they get to do the whole walking together with their faces in shadow thing, which looks pretty cool, especially when you notice the American flag hanging to the side.

Now, talking about the song itself, this is one that I have listened to over and over again and it has yet to get old. I imagine that it's one of those that had a lot of songwriters wishing that they'd thought of the idea first. You know, the idea that the marks we make on the world around us are like tattoos of ourselves that we're leaving on wherever we are. It's such a fantastic lyric and it's the kind of thing that makes you wonder why it wasn't thought of before. Or at least why it wasn't released before. Sure, there's been songs about growing up and all that, but none quite like this. It's songs like this that prove Jason's worth as an artist, in my opinion. The songs that he and his team pick to record always have more going on that meets the eye. There's always a certain level of depth to his songs that gives the impression that the lyrics are the most important thing to him. 

Incidentally, I've seen people debate if he's country or not and I find the whole debate to be absurd. Sure, the music behind the lyrics may be more rock than country at times. But there's a certain dedicated and weight given to the lyrics and as I've said before, country music is all about the lyric. And the lyrics of his songs are country. As for the video? It does a terrific job at matching up with the lyrics. Cool shots of Jason and the boys in the hangar and then we come to the point in the video where the soldiers are leaving and that's when things change. All of a sudden, it gets a lot more real and the lyrics get a lot more deep. Consider the following: "Everywhere, there we are, it hits me right in my heart. It sure left it's mark on us, we sure left our mark on it. We let the world know we were here with everything we did. We laid a lot of memories down, we'll always be hanging 'round like tattoos on this town."

This isn't a song about breaking mailboxes and leaving tire tracks or tree carvings. It's not about leaving physical evidence that we were there, though that's a big part of it. It's about the way we impact the world around us and the way we are impacted by it. The way it shapes us. Think about what's happening here. You have a guy, young and in love and leaving to fight for his country. He'll leave his mark physically, sure, but it goes deeper than that. The guy dies for his country; I don't know about you, but that leaves a mark of its own.  Especially when you realize that he's also leaving behind a baby that he'll never get to see. I love the shots of the girls watching the fireworks mixed with the shots showing in combat, which would of course be what she'd be thinking about. Fabulous acting by the lead actress here. 

The montage at the end is really what makes this video so wonderful: recapping all the physical tattoos like the mailbox and taped up window to the young boy who is very obviously his father's son wearing his dad's hat and looking at the carving that we finally get to see. A heart with the words "I love you" written inside. Otherwise knows as the part that hits me like a metaphorical knife to the heart every single time. Even knowing it's coming. Fantastic song, fantastic video. 


Well, there we go! My top 50 videos from 2011. I still have that post about the little trivia contest thing coming, so stay tuned for that. I wrote that a couple of blogs ago, I know, but I got caught up in wanting to get this finished. I've said it at the end of every blog so far and will keep saying it - thank you so much to everyone who has been reading this! This is all ,of course, just my opinion. Maybe you agree, maybe not - I'd love to hear from you either way. If you like what you're reading, please feel free to pass on this blog to anyone you think might be interested. I always post the links to these on my countrymusicATK twitter and RT's would be more than welcome as well. Hope you all enjoyed this part!

Comments

  1. Have been looking forward to seeing who would be in the top 2 I feel this was a difficult choice but I agree with your picks. Aldean my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.