Skip to main content

Album Review: Thirty Miles West by Alan Jackson

Steady. Consistent. Solid. Traditional. Class. These are just some of the words I would use to describe Alan Jackson and his music. He knows what his sound is and he knows what his fans expect of him and he delivers. Every single time. I've been reading a bunch of other reviews of this album and the general consensus seems to be that if you're an Alan Jackson fan, you won't be disappointed. I would absolutely agree with that. I'd also add that if you're a fan of traditional country music and haven't already purchased this album, than you need to do so. I have to say that I love that we have artists like Alan Jackson keeping this sound alive and well. It's very important that there's always some artists making straight up traditional country.

Now I'd like you to do me a favor and refer back to the five words I used at the beginning. In addition to all of them, I would say that this album feels very polished and familiar. Thirty Miles West is very much a typical Alan Jackson album, though there's a certain freshness about it that wasn't as present on his last CD. This was very nicely produced and features some terrific playing. The music tends to be understated at several times throughout the album and it's very effective. There really isn't anything that feels out of place here. It's a very solid collection of songs that fit together nicely. I'd consider this album to be money well spent.

There's the short version of the review for you. If you'd like to know what I thought of each of the cuts, you know what to do. Keep on reading.


"Gonna Come Back As a Country Song" Great way to kick things off. The concept of this song is an interesting one - the whole idea of if reincarnation is real than he's going to come back as a country song. I can so easily see someone develop a line dance or something for this song; it seems cut out for that. I like this one a lot. Great feel to it.

"You Go Your Way" This was just released as a single and the opening music sets it up as a pretty lighthearted song - and then we get to the lyrics, which present a bit of a different picture. This is a song about a guy who is dealing with the end of his relationship. His now ex has packed her bags and is getting ready to hit the road and he's encouraging her to do so. And as she goes on her way, he declares that he'll go crazy. This song reminds me of a few of his other songs, but I like it. I expect it to do pretty well as a single.

"Everything But the Wings" Very few artists pull off a sentimental lyric like Alan Jackson does. This is a song about a guy who thinks of the woman in his life as an angel - she has all the qualities of one, but without the wings. Delivery is very important with a lyric like this; it has to sound completely sincere. Otherwise it won't work. This song does work and works quite nicely. Beautiful lyrics paired with relatively simple music. Hard to go wrong with a combination like that.

"Talk is Cheap" This might be my least favorite song on the album. It's not a bad song; I'm just not feeling it. There's some nice playing on here and I like the general idea, but I would've liked for there to be a little more to it than there is. 

"So You Don't Have to Love Me Anymore" There's been so many rave reviews for this song that I find myself wishing I liked it more than I do. I love the concept and there's some great lyrics, no doubt about that. Those elements paired with Alan's delivery is a beautiful thing. But I feel that the music falls a bit flat. That is more a criticism of the arrangement and not on the musicians, who did a great job. The issue isn't the playing itself; more of what they had to work with. But still, a lovely song.

"Look Her in the Eye and Lie" I find this song to be very interesting. This is basically a lesson in how to handle seeing your ex, whom you still love, with someone else. The words acknowledge how painful it can be for you, but you can't let them know that. Don't let them see your hurt; lie. Make them think that you don't care anymore. I like this one.

"Dixie Highway (featuring Zac Brown)" Time to kick things into another gear with this gem of a song. A gem that clocks in at seven minutes and twenty-five seconds. Now don't let that scare you. It's long, yes, but not tedious. This is one of my favorite songs on Thirty Miles West. I really enjoy this one and both the playing and energy are fantastic. Alan Jackson and Zac Brown play off each other very well. My favorite part is around the six minute mark, where it slows down for a bit and then kicks back up again. Fun track.

"She Don't Get High" The concept of this isn't a new one - this is about a couple who have lost their spark and the narrator is reminiscing about how it used to be. It's a pretty typical subject matter for country music and for good reason. What makes this song special isn't the concept, but the way it was carried out. Comparing their love to a drug that used to get her high, but doesn't anymore. It's a very sad lyric, especially when you really start thinking about it. Absolutely one of my favorite tracks.

"Her Life's a Song" And now ladies and gentlemen, we have a song that is pretty much my life. Even down to the air guitar. Though not just guitar and certainly not when there's other people around. But I digress. Back to the point, I expect that a lot of people are going to be able to relate to the words in this. Catchy lyrics and music too, which seals the deal for me. Another favorite.

"Nothin' Fancy" This is a very straight-forward, plain spoken love song and that's why I like it. The song title is "Nothin' Fancy" and the lyrics fit it perfectly. A great example of beauty being found in the simple. There's so many over the top love songs out there and this is a nice change of pace. I really like the music in here too. My favorite lines: "So I hope it's still okay/ That when I feel this way/ I love you is all I say/ Nothin' fancy". Ultimately, that's all any love song is trying to say, isn't it? I love you? And sometimes that's all that's needed. Lovely song.

"Long Way to Go" A pretty classic Alan Jackson song right here. He does these kinds of songs great and an album of his wouldn't be complete without one or more of them. I really like this song, great feel and lighthearted lyrics. Works for me. 

"Life Keeps Bringin' Me Down" Well, life might bring him down, but who says you can't still have a good time? That's what this song ultimately amounts to: a good time. Sure, it's about hard times, but wrapped in a catchy little package. I like this one a lot. Another fun track.

"When I Saw You Leaving (for Nisey)" Thirty Miles West closes with what is easily the most meaningful song on the CD. Alan wrote this while his wife, Denise, was undergoing cancer treatment and it's songs like this where his talent as a songwriter truly shines. It's so real and honest and delivered with so much sincerity. I mentioned how traditional and classically country this album is and this is the finest example of that. It's songs like this where you find the true heart of country music. It's a beautiful track all the way through and one that'll get you thinking about the fragility of life. It's very well crafted, the kind of song that needs to be listened to by anyone who listens to country music and anyone who wants to write it. Beautiful song.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.