Skip to main content

Album Review: Edens Edge by Edens Edge

I've talked about how lucky I've been in that I've genuinely liked most of the things I've reviewed so far. That might be a little hard for some of you to believe - after all no one likes everything, right? But I don't know, there's been a lot of great music coming out lately. 2012 has been such a strong year for country music. So many artists are on the very top of their games, but even the ones who aren't are still putting out good music. Have I liked every single thing that's been released? No. But I have liked most everything I've written about. I've talked about Edens Edge before and if you saw those posts, you know I like them. So what about the album? Did I like it? No.

I adore it. Seriously, I realize that that might be an odd word to pick and it's not one I use all that much. In fact it's one I really don't use at all. So when I say that I adore this album, that's saying something. That's truly the best word to sum up my feelings. You're not going to find much in the way of criticism in this review. I've been listening to this a lot over the past couple of days and find new things to appreciate with each listen. This is a very strong album. Not just for a debut album, but in general. Everyone involved should be proud of themselves for helping to create something as good as this.

So why was it so good?

No weak songs. There's nothing on here that I'd call filler. I really believe they could release any of these songs to radio and all would have a pretty good chance of doing well.

Great production. I have absolutely no complaints there.

Wonderful playing by all the musicians all throughout. Good energy and from a strictly musical standpoint, everything fits. There's some great solos to be found on here as well.

The harmonies. Everything I mentioned previously is terrific and you can't have a great album without all of the above. But make no mistake: the vocals and harmony is what really makes Edens Edge shine. Both the group and the CD. First, we have Hannah Blaylock on lead. Hannah, who has quickly become one of my favorite leads. She has a beautiful, clear tone when she sings, but her real strength as a singer is her ability to sell a lyric. This album covers a bit of ground in terms of subject and mood, all of which is reflected in her delivery. She seems to be one who doesn't just sing her songs, she feels them. A quality that a lot of singers don't have.

Then we have Cherrill Green and Dean Berner. Adding not just their harmony, but their musical abilities. Cherrill plays the mandolin, banjo and guitar and Dean plays guitar and Dobro. Both prove to be wonderful musicians and their harmonies are flawless. They know when to step it up and when to fade more into the background, providing an extremely solid support system for Hannah on lead. Their three voices fit together so beautifully that if you didn't know otherwise you might assume that they were related for how strong they are.

So yeah. Take all of the above and that is what makes me adore this album. Time to consider each song separately for those of who who are interested. But first, how about a picture?


Taken at the Ryman back in February. If you're interested in seeing more, head on over to https://www.facebook.com/CountryMusicAccordingToKim and check out my Edens Edge album. Naturally stopping to like the page if you are so inclined. I'm seriously considering doing a giveaway of sorts once I can get to 100 likes. So get to liking and you might just win something at some point. Just throwing that out there.



Before I get into the songs, let me point out that there are two versions of this album available. The regular version, which is found on iTunes and almost anywhere you can buy music. And then there's the deluxe edition, which is exclusive to Cracker Barrel and includes three additional songs. I usually go for the deluxe versions of CDs and that'd be the one I'd recommend. It might be a little bit more, but the extra songs are worth it. Don't have a Cracker Barrel near you? Worry not. The CD is also available here on their website.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, how about I get to the songs?

"Amen" Their debut single, which was released last year and made it into the top 20. This was a great choice for a first single, a great introduction to a then brand new group. There's a lightness and sweetness to this song that I just love.

"Swingin' Door" Here we have a song about a no-good, two-timing, good old fashioned snake in the grass. A song about a guy who has multiple girls scattered in who knows how many places. A guy who just breezes in and out of our narrator's lives whenever so inspired to do so. And she's finally had enough and is kicking his sorry behind to the curb. I like the concept, this idea of this person being compared to a swinging door. It makes for an interesting take on a pretty well-used idea. Remember if going with a very familiar subject matter, it's vitally important to find a way to change it up so it feels new or different. This song does that pretty well. Nice feel to this one; good song overall.

"Skinny Dippin'" This is one of my current favorites off of Edens Edge. It's such a fun, lighthearted song with a very singable melody. Really like this one.

"Too Good To Be True" The current single. You can read (reread?) my review of it here. I really have nothing else to add. Another great track.

"Last Supper" Here we have what I consider to be the most interesting track on the CD. This is absolutely one of my favorites. This song is coming from the perspective of a woman who is out to dinner with the man in her life and has noticed this other couple who appear to be ending their relationship. This woman, our narrator, is watching this couple and wondering if her own relationship is ending as well. Wondering if this will be their last supper together. What's so interesting about this song is that it's a take off of the last supper. Referencing, of course, the last meal that Christ had with the Apostles. There's a good amount of tie ins to that in here: the wine, having "a coming to Jesus" and my favorite lines in the song, "You break the bread and you break my heart/ You raise your glass as we fall apart". This is not a song that just anyone could do, I don't think. But what a song. When you really think about what it means, what it was inspired by, it just takes the song to a different level. There's so many layers to this that I appreciate.

And that's without saying that this is probably Hannah's best vocal on the entire CD. She sings the mess out of this song. Fantastic vocal. This song also does a good job showing their strength as a group. It's not just about being able to harmonize well, it's knowing how to use those harmonies. Sometimes you need the three voices singing together at the same dynamic and sometime you need more layers. This one needed the layers and Cherrill and Dean provided just the right amount of support. Knowing when to kick it up a bit, but ultimately allowing Hannah's vocal to shine the way it needed to. Very effective vocals all the way around. Beautiful song.

"Feels So Real" So Cherrill and Dean knew to hang back in the last song and kick it up here. Once again showing a talent at knowing where the harmonies need to be and doing it. Some credit goes to the producer and engineers for getting the mix right, but I give a lot of credit to Edens Edge for understanding harmony so well. Meanwhile, this is a beautiful song about a love that's been lost. Whether it's due to a break up or worse, this song is wonderfully crafted. My favorite lyric, "Inside I still got this breaking in my chest/ Don't feel like flesh, it feels like glass/ And glass shatters". I love that this comes after "Last Supper" as the two make for an intense pairing. Really like the melody here too.

"Who Am I Drinking Tonight" Time to pick things up and this was a good song to have do so. This was probably the song I was most curious to listen to when I saw the title. Now, usually I don't really like songs that name drop because a lot of times it feels like name dropping for the sole sake of doing it. But this song does it in a way that directly ties into what the song's about. In other words, they pull it off. I've listened to this a lot this week. I really like how it feels and it's fun to sing along with. Great one to see live too. I'd consider it a favorite.

"Liar" This one's about a girl who is in love with her best friend, who is getting married. He's in love and she's the biggest liar in the world because she can't tell him that she's in love too. Great opening lines, "I helped you find her diamond ring/ You made me try it on and everything". Ouch. Lovely vocal by Hannah here. Good song.

"Cherry Pie" And no, they're not talking about an actual cherry pie. Rather the name refers to her first pony. This song is an ode to all of the things, people and animals who helped make her who she is today. It's such a sweet lyric and has a great melody. I love the way this song builds and keeps building. This one feels like the most personal on the album, like a gift to all of their loved ones. Great addition to the album and would make for a great single. Really like this one.

"Christ Alone" Edens Edge is full of so many strong moments, all of which are leading up to this song. The last of the regular CD and what used to be their closing song. This is the crowning moment of the entire album. They ditch the instruments in favor of singing this a cappella. And if anyone had any doubts about their strength as a vocal group, well, they won't after listening to this. It's a beautiful lyric and the vocals are gorgeous. My favorite moment hits around the 2:14 mark at a high note that Hannah hits with what seems like no effort at all. Goes to show that if you have the talent, you can just stand up there with nothing but your voices and still blow people away. Beautiful.

Kicking off the first of the three additional songs found on the deluxe edition, we have:
"Roots" The first word that comes to mind when I listen to this is zippy. Again: not a word I really use, but listen to this and you'll see. It's like full steam ahead on this baby and I love it. The playing on here is somewhere between sick and fantastic, so I'm going to call it sicktastic. Which is totally not a real word. But it fits so I'm going with it. Fun song.

"Little Bird" Dean wrote this one by himself and I find it to be such a charming song. Really like the vocals on this song, very nice instrumentation too.

"Wherever I Go" A song about a girl who has a need to go on the road and live her life, but who takes her home with her wherever she goes. It's a song delivered to her mama, ensuring her of that fact. They might be in different places, but she's never alone because her mom stays with her. A very sweet song.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.