Skip to main content

Favorite Christmas Carols

Well, it's the middle of December and y'all know what that means: Christmas is right around the corner. Which means that we've all been listening to Christmas music since about Thanksgiving, if not sooner. I've gotten a few new Christmas albums recently and it occurred to me that my collection of Christmas music is fairly large. So I've been listening to all the different versions I have of a bunch of these songs and decided that it might be fun to write about my favorites. Guess what this is?

This will be divided into three categories and thus, three posts. This one focusing on traditional Christmas carols, as it states in the title. The other two? Christmas standards and original Christmas songs. Please note that these are in no particular order and not every artist listed is a country act. Most of them are, but not all. There are a bunch of songs to get to and respecting that, I'm not going to go into too much detail about why I picked each song. I'll also include a link to go check the songs out on iTunes, if you're so inclined. Or if the song/album is not on iTunes, I'll add a link to somewhere you can purchase the song/album if possible. Let's jump in.

"The Wexford Carol" by Trace Adkins. If you have not gone out and bought The King's Gift, I have a question for you: what exactly are you doing with your life? Seriously. The entire album is fabulous. Spoiler alert: this is not the only song from here that made the list.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-wexford-carol/id714499776?i=714499845

"O Come All Ye Faithful" by Sara Evans. Lovely vocal from who I feel is an underrated vocalist and I like the simplicity of the track.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/o-come-all-ye-faithful/id928122855?i=928125060

"The First Noel" by the Grand Ole Opry Band. This is an instrumental by some of the finest musicians in Nashville.
http://shop.opry.com/0-544.html

"O Little Town on Bethlehem" by Terri Clark. Ah, the steel guitar. My favorite instrument. Not to take anything away from Terri's vocals, which are lovely, but the steel just makes this for me.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/o-little-town-of-bethlehem/id267255940?i=267256616

"Silent Night" by Kelly Clarkson with Reba McEntire and Trisha Yearwood. One of my favorite Christmas carols regardless of who sings it. But you throw these three voices together and you end up with something pretty special.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/silent-night-feat.-reba-mcentire/id720861443?i=720861457

"Go Tell It On the Mountain" by Little Big Town. I consider this to be classic Little Big Town. The harmonies are at the forefront where they belong. Love this! Especially that last minute or so.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/go-tell-it-on-the-mountain/id716633726?i=716635313

"Angels We Have Heard On High" by Chris Tomlin. The first non-country act to make the list. This is pretty stripped down and laid back and I think it fits the song very well.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/angels-we-have-heard-on-high/id723793424?i=723793452

"Mary, Did You Know" by Brett Eldredge. Another favorite. I love the lyrics - there's some fantastic lines in here. Brett did a great job with it!
http://store.warnermusic.com/mary-did-you-know.html

"Tannenbaum" by Trace Adkins. Told you there'd be more songs from this album on here. This isn't even the last one. I feel like this is one of the more underrated Christmas carols. Lovely instrumentation in this version.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tannenbaum/id714499776?i=714499850

"O Holy Night" by Martina McBride. There are so many wonderful versions of this, but Martina's has been my favorite from the first time I heard it. She knocks this out of the park. Beautiful rendition. This also happens to be on one of my favorite Christmas albums as a whole.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/o-holy-night/id267253357?i=267254917

"Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" by Keith and Kristyn Getty. This is a fabulous Irish duo I first heard at an Opry show a while back. As much as I love country music, I'm also a sucker for Celtic music. Check them out!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/hark!-the-herald-angels-sing/id715549566?i=715549731

"Away in a Manger" by Casting Crowns. Such a peaceful and calming version by one of my favorite Christian groups.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/away-in-a-manger/id291831478?i=291831529

"What Child is This?" by Tanya Tucker. This song is so haunting, especially the way this version is done. Interesting arrangement.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/what-child-is-this/id332341247?i=332341668

"O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" by Sugarland. I love the way Jennifer  sings this song and the way Kristian kind of eases on in a little over a minute into it. Only to divide the vocal about a minute later. Great version.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/o-come-o-come-emmanuel/id334427477?i=334427521

"I Saw Three Ships" by Trace Adkins featuring the Chieftains & Alyth McCormack. This might just be the most beautiful song on the album. The Gaelic at the beginning - Alyth has such a lovely voice. Really adore the way they did this.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/i-saw-three-ships-feat.-chieftains/id714499776?i=714499966

"Joy to the World" by JT Hodges. Thought it'd be nice to end with this song. It's so easy to get caught up in all of the stress that this season can bring. It's easy to lose sight of what this season, this holiday, is about. Namely, the birth of Christ. Christmas is supposed to be a time of celebration, not stress. I urge you to remember that this season. To remember that this is ultimately a time of joy. Because we are celebrating the birth of Jesus and that is indeed something to celebrate! So if you're feeling stressed out or overwhelmed,  get this song and crank it up. I recommend this version because it makes me happy and I believe it can make you happy too. Or better yet, joyful. I find this to be a very refreshing interpretation. Great delivery by JT too!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/joy-to-the-world/id731545497?i=731545754

That'll do it for this one! Be on the lookout for the list of favorite Christmas standards and originals. Thanks for reading!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.