Skip to main content

Favorite Christmas Originals

So we've covered Christmas carols and Christmas standards and now it's time to focus on originals. And by that I'm really talking about Christmas songs that you may have heard, but that aren't anywhere near as well-known as the carols and standards. Starting with...


"No Room" by Rhett Akins. Confession: I don't believe that I had ever heard this song until about a week ago. I came across it while looking for something else and the lyrics just struck me, particularly at the end. Go give it a listen.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/no-room/id1579415?i=1579411

"Almost There" by Michael W. Smith featuring Amy Grant. This is on Michael's The Spirit of Christmas and I just fell in love with it the first time I heard it. Beautifully crafted song. Favorite line(s): "You're almost where your journey ends/ where death with die and life begins".
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/almost-there-feat.-amy-grant/id915982071?i=915982125

"Christmas in Heaven" by Scotty McCreery. This is one of those songs that gets me choked up. It's a song that never fails to make me stop whatever I'm doing when it comes on so I can listen. It's a beautiful lyric and one that is delivered very well.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/christmas-in-heaven/id566666841?i=566666847

"I Like Christmas" by Casey James. Figured we could use a bit of a mood change about here. One word comes to mind when I think of Casey James. That word? Underrated. Just listen to that voice, people. Nice groove to this.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/i-like-christmas/id936900196?i=936900202

"Mary and Joseph" by Dave Barnes. Before I get to the song itself let me say that if you ever have a chance to see Dave Barnes, do. He's a great artist and he's hilarious to boot. I appreciate the simplicity of this song; the music being kind of low key, helps the lyrics shine. Good song.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mary-and-joseph/id398776059?i=398777453

"All is Well" by Michael W. Smith featuring Carrie Underwood. This song is absolutely gorgeous. The lyrics help put the season in the proper perspective too, which I like. All is well. I know that it doesn't feel like it sometimes, but it's true. Jesus makes it true. I encourage you not to forget that. And meanwhile, let's all take a moment to appreciate Carrie's phenomenal vocal here.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/all-is-well-feat.-carrie-underwood/id915982071?i=915982130

"Hairy Christmas" by Willie Robertson and Luke Bryan. So this song kept coming up when I was putting this list together and I'd keep catching myself singing parts of it after the fact. Is this a phenomenal vocal? With all due respect to Willie and Luke, not exactly. But it's a fun song and it makes me smile, so there you go.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/hairy-christmas-feat.-willie/id720806714?i=720806757

"Gold and Green" by Sugarland. This whole album is good, but this is my favorite track. It paints such a lovely picture and I find it to be quite soothing.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/gold-and-green/id334427477?i=334427516

"That's What I Want for Christmas" by SHeDAISY. Gotta admit that I'm curious about how many people reading this remember this group. They've sort of disappeared, but they have some great songs. This is one I've always liked.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/thats-what-i-want-for-christmas/id206550523?i=206550531

"What God Wants for Christmas" by Darius Rucker. A Christmas song that makes you think. I like it. Perspective, it's a lovely thing. Very nice vocal by Darius on this too.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/what-god-wants-for-christmas/id930625355?i=930625375

"The Nativity" by Lee Ann Womack. Pretty song with pretty great lyrics. Love the instrumentation on here and Lee Ann is the perfect person to sing this. Speaking of underrated artists. She deserves more credit than she gets.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-nativity/id1579415?i=1579392

"Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays" by *NSYNC. Yup, I must confess. I was an *NSYNC girl back in the day. And you know what? Their Christmas album remains one of my favorites. Don't judge. This song puts me in a good mood, what can I say?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/merry-christmas-happy-holidays/id258616648?i=258617959

"It Wasn't His Child" by Trisha Yearwood. I like this song first because it's beautiful and also because it's about Joseph, who sort of gets overlooked in the Christmas story. It's nice to see him get some attention. Lovely vocal by Trisha too.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/it-wasnt-his-child/id1007688?i=1007661

"Hear the Angels Singing" by Burns & Poe. So Burns & Poe aren't together anymore. Keith Burns has reformed Trick Pony with Heidi Newfield and if you watched the ACC Awards, Michelle Poe was playing bass for Bocephus. But they did make some good music while they were together. I love the melody of this. Pretty song. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it can be purchased anymore, but if you'd like to hear the song, check out the video.


"A Baby Changes Everything" by Faith Hill. Ain't that the truth? Never has that been more true than it was with Jesus. His birth did, in fact, change everything for everyone. Love the lyrics.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/a-baby-changes-everything/id736889025?i=736889400

"Snow Globe" by Matt Wertz. Nice, upbeat Christmas tune. One of those songs that just feels good.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/snow-globe/id933346406?i=933346425

"Leaving Heaven" by Matthew West featuring Vince Gill. This is such a beautifully written song. I just love the words, Plus if Vince Gill is involved, you know it's going to be good. Not to take anything away from Matthew West who is one of my favorite Christian artists.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/leaving-heaven-feat.-vince/id721285550?i=721285767

"The Christmas Hope" by NewSong. This song really struck a chord with me the first time I heard it. I know that there's a lot of people struggling this Christmas and maybe that's you. Maybe you're having a hard time in your life right now and can't get into the Christmas spirit. Well, this song is for you. Give this a listen and let it speak to you. I promise that it will.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-christmas-hope/id192503693?i=192503851

"I Believe" by Natalie Grant. This seemed like an appropriate song to wrap things up. Natalie Grant is such a great vocalist and as good as she sounds here, she sounds even better live. Incredible talent. Powerful song.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/i-believe/id82484926?i=82484812












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.