Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: Only God Could Love You More by Jerrod Niemann

Throwing it back to 2013 with this one. Because Jerrod Niemann is, without question, one my favorite humans. He's a great artist who doesn't get half of the recognition he deserves. More than that, he's just an all around good dude with a good heart. I've been lucky in that most of the artists I've met have been very nice, but there's been a few standouts and Jerrod is definitely one of them. The first time I met him was at his joint fan club party with the equally loveable Lee Brice. He (both of them, actually) greeted each person with a hug and treated them more like a friend than a fan. I've gotten to meet him a couple of times since then and he's been the same every time. He's such a genuine person and the kind of artist that I don't believe I could ever get tired of seeing.

While I love his music in general, "Only God Could Love You More" is easily my favorite. It has such a beautiful message and Jerrod absolutely nailed the delivery. I love the music itself and the lack of background vocals. That might be surprising to anyone who knows about my love for harmony, but never underestimate the power of the human voice. Even if it's just one. In this instance, it adds more weight to the words and makes them that much more powerful. Sometimes the more simple something is, the more effective it becomes. The fact that this song failed to make it all the way to #1 is a travesty. Funny how with all the complaints about the lack of substance out there that a song like this can't get sufficient airplay. It's a shame. A downright shame. I do wonder if it would've done better if it'd been released last year instead, but that's a moot point now.

Bottom line is that it's a beautiful song with an equally beautiful video. Check it out.



           


So many things to appreciate about this video. This is the kind of song that can apply to any kind of relationship and I'm so happy that they decided to showcase different kinds of relationships in the video. You have the man apparently contemplating his relationship the woman he's about to marry. You have the daughter dealing with a difficult mother - I get the impression that she's an alcoholic, but that's open to interpretation. Finally, you have the husband and his ailing wife.

I really like that they opened the video with half of each of the pairs in the same position. It grabbed my attention the first time and I like it more the more I watch it. One of my favorite things about the video is how it manages to get you invested in each of these relationships. You can practically feel the emotions of the characters. Then combining that with all the shots of Jerrod singing directly to the camera just takes that to another level all together. His delivery is so sincere and powerful and that eye contact with the camera adds a layer of vulnerability that works so well with the lyric.

The best part about the video might just be the way Jerrod just lays it out there. There's really nothing for him to hide behind here - even his hat, a Jerrod Niemann staple, is missing in some of the shots. Just another layer. Also worth noting that the part when the wife wakes up and touches the husband's face with her hand always makes me tear up. That and the mom hugging the daughter. To paraphrase a quote by Roger Bart's character - Carmen Ghia -  from The Producers, if the intention was to shoot an arrow through my heart, bullseye.

Wonderfully done by all involved. Want to keep up with Jerrod?
Official Website
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.