Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: Everything Will Be Okay by Home Free

It was only a matter of time before Home Free would be making an appearance in this series. I just can't seem to go too long without writing something about these guys. Anyone already familiar with them will undoubtedly be able to relate. Not only are they incredibly talented, but their music video game is strong. Very strong.

So strong, in fact, that it was hard to decide which of their videos should be the first to be featured. Given my general disdain for this time of year, I decided to go with a video that never fails to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. "Everything Will Be Okay" was filmed by the fine folks of FifGen films. It is a Home Free original - bass singer Tim Foust wrote this with Dave Guisti - with a message that we all need to reminded of every now and then. That no matter what's going on, no matter how bad things seem, sooner or later things will work themselves out. Sooner or later everything really will be okay.

So sit back, relax and just wait for that warm and fuzzy feeling to set in.




It's been just over a year since they released this video. They've put out a bunch more since then, but I think this one will be a favorite of mine for a long time to come. I always appreciate it when music videos go in directions that you wouldn't expect them to go in. "Everything Will Be Okay" is a relationship song. It would have incredibly easy for them to just have gone with a couple of actors playing a couple and then had the requisite shots of Home Free singing the song. That would have been an okay video, as far as it goes. But it would have been pretty ordinary. It wouldn't have taken the song to another level - which is exactly what this particular treatment does. 

The relationship element is removed. For the most part, all of the characters in the video are strangers or so it seems. The exception being the mother and daughter, the latter of which is most definitely not okay for most of the video having lost her beloved teddy bear. That's traumatic for a kid. The teddy bear, meanwhile, ends up becoming a furry little hero as the video unfolds as it cheers up person after person after person. Finally to be safely returned to its young owner who ultimately passes along its encouraging message to you, the viewer. I was wrong when I said the relationship element is removed; it wasn't removed, it was changed. From a relationship between two people to the greater relationship that exists between all of mankind. It takes a nice message and makes it much, much bigger. 

You know what I think is pretty cool? The fact that by watching this video and then by sharing it, that teddy bear's journey just keeps on going and going. The message just keeps spreading and spreading and giving each viewer something to smile about. As I write this, it is the day after Valentine's Day. For some reason, this year I found that my heart was hurting for the people who struggle with that day. There's people like me who think it's a ridiculous holiday, but it struck me that there are others for whom it is a painful day. People who can't be with the ones they love. People who have lost ones they love. People who may be dealing with feelings of loneliness or worthlessness. I never know who will end up reading what I write, save for a few exceptions. I don't know how many are going through a tough time be it related to Valentine's Day or not. But in writing this I come to realize that they are who I inadvertently wrote this for. So to those people, all I can say is that as much as it may feel like it, you are not alone. You do matter. Your life matters. You are far from worthless and are rather quite valuable. You are enough and while it might not feel like it, but you are loved. And you know what? Everything really will be okay.

Take this message. Receive it and embrace it and then? Pass it along to someone else. 

Keep up with the gentlemen of Home Free at the following places:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.