Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: ACA Top 10 - Bro Country by VoicePlay featuring Chris Rupp

Today we're going to kick things off with a stroll down memory lane to help convey just why I've been so ridiculously and overly excited about today's video. It was on March 13th, 2015  that I uploaded my first post about VoicePlay. It was the first time I'd dedicated an entire mini-novel post to a non-country act. But I just had to write about them, so I did. It was called Stepping out of the country with VoicePlay and included a few of their videos. Their ACA Top 10 Broadway countdown being the video I'm referring to in this first excerpt. 
...I'd like to take a second to talk about the very end of the video when Earl is talking about them wanting suggestions for future aca-countdowns. Notice how country was included in his examples...I'm so curious about what songs they'd include if they did one and what they'd do with the songs they chose...I'm going on record as wanting an aca-country countdown. I want it a lot. No, not want. Need. This is something I need in my life. Seriously.
I saw VoicePlay for the first, and so far only, time two days after uploading that first post. By the end of that month, I'd written up a review of the show. They did their version of "Elvira" during their set and that was what I was referring to in this next bit.
Did this satisfy my desire for them to do an ACA Top 10 country countdown? No. No, it did not. If anything, it made it worse. I'm so hoping it happens at some point down the road. I mean, they can sing country music and Layne and Geoff have arranged country music. I'm just saying...I'll even say please with extra Twinkies on top.
I was not alone in this wish; there seemed to be a bunch of people who wanted it. Well. Y'all. They did it. They actually did it! It's been two weeks since they uploaded it and I'm still excited about it. Positively giddy, in fact, which has manifested itself in what can only be described as VoicePlayish ways. Y'all, I've invented some new words. I've even invented a word for the invention of these new words. See for yourself. Click on the pictures to make them bigger. 



If you thought that was the end of the ridiculousness, you underestimated the power of this new countdown. Don't ask me why, but one of the times I watched this, I got to thinking about a song from Les Mis. So it was that a parody was in the works, but then it turned into something else. See what happens when you take Les Mis ("ABC Cafe/Red and Black") and combine it with The Nightmare Before Christmas ("What's This") and a little Brooks & Dunn ("Put a Girl In It") in a little parody medley...thing. The medley that no one wanted, but that got created anyway. Kind of sums up my initial thoughts about ACA Top 10 - Bro Country.




Yeah...maybe I'll leave the medleys to Geoff and Layne. For the good of humanity. Here it is, y'all. ACA Top 10 Bro Country, featuring the talented Chris Rupp. Make sure to watch until the very end. 



The first ACA Top 10 where I actually knew all of the originals beforehand! Shoot, I've even seen all of these acts live. Mark me, this will most likely never happen again. Barring another country countdown, I suppose. Country is such a vast genre that they could've taken this in any number of ways. Bro Country was the most obvious way to go, given the way it's dominated country radio. 

I'm going to be honest and admit that I missed Tony singing in this. First time I watched, I wondered if he'd show up while everyone was still sitting there. When he didn't, I got concerned. Especially when the logo screen came on. I mean, is an ACA Top 10 really an ACA Top 10 if all five VoicePlay members don't make an appearance? But then it came back and he showed up. Balance effectively restored. I'm apparently incapable of watching the ending without 'aww'ing. It's that first "are you guys coming?" that gets me. Let's all take a second to reflect on how a scene featuring only a guy and a bowl of chips somehow carries more emotional weight that every single bro country song combined. Go figure.

Please don't take my missing Tony as a slight against Chris because it's definitely not meant as one. Not at all. I love Chris and really enjoyed seeing him with (most of) VoicePlay again. They're so much fun to watch together. Sound great together too. Chris and Earl have some funny interactions throughout. The "Cruise" part makes me giggle. Oh Chris. If you didn't know, Chris struck out on his own a few months ago. In addition to his solo work, he also has a new group called 7th Ave. Definitely check them out - links below. So as much as I would've loved to hear Tony in this, I can't be unhappy about Chris being involved. Not one bit. Especially since he brought the stealth chicken! 

Anyway. Earl? Golden, as always. A + for the whistling. Biggest surprise? Eli. I've long since determined that he could sing anything, but he pulled off country better than I thought he would. He was definitely channelling Craig Morgan in "Corn Star". Makes me want to hear him sing songs by a few other country acts even more - Vince Gill being at the top of that list. But stealing Earl's red solo cup? Tsk tsk. 

Speaking of "Red Solo Cup", I kind of can't stand that song. I have never understood how it got so popular. It boggles my mind. But dang if I don't find it weirdly endearing when Layne sings it. This is seriously the best that song has ever sounded. Plus, Geoff attempting to play a red solo cup tickled me. Also, can we talk about how the rhythm section was out of sync with the other three during the gun show at the end? Geoff using the wrong arm and Layne, well, I don't know what exactly Layne was doing but it made me laugh. 

Finally, with all due respect to all of the others, this medley was all about that bass. Y'all. I think Geoff might have a country side. Their "Elvira" cover and also his bit in their "Stay With Me" cover. That country inflection on "darlin'". I'm telling you. He sounds good in everything, but I think his voice was made for country. He stole the countdown for me. He really did.

I'm so ridiculously happy that they did this. Thank you, VoicePlay! And Chris! I'd go as far to say that right now, there aren't any other acts that inspire me as much as these six guys do. This should be clear, but if not, Tony's the sixth. I love that they're all willing to try different things musically and that they really do appreciate their fans. You see it in the way they interact with us, with how concerned both acts are with keeping their Patrons happy. I'm always looking forward to seeing what they'll do next. What can I say? I love these guys. 

Meanwhile, VoicePlay, seeing as how you've now done a country ACA Top 10 (did I say thank you? Because, again, thank you), can't you just hear Nashville calling? You know, the home of country music and a city that gave you all a standing ovation when you were here for the Sing Off Tour? As a Nashvillian, I'm telling y'all, the city needs you. So if you could perhaps consider bringing your collective faces back to Nashville at some point, that would be delightful. Chris too, for that matter. 

Hey, a girl can dream. 

See where to stay in touch with VoicePlay and Chris below.

VoicePlay

Chris
Website          7th Ave's Website
Twitter            7th Ave's Twitter
Patreon          7th Ave's Patreon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.