Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: Grim Grinning Ghosts by VoicePlay

Happy Halloween, everybody! We're going to kick this one off with what I'm calling Life Lessons from VoicePlay. Because in the time that I've been a fan of theirs, they have taught me some things. Granted, some of these lessons were taught inadvertently, but still. Here we go.

Lesson #1: Eli and Geoff inadvertently taught me that googling things from your childhood is not a good idea (see my write-up of their version of "Love Yourself)". Unless you're in the mood to feel as old as dirt. I feel like this one seems less traumatic as you get older, but I've now reached a point where I can remember things from 20 years ago. I'm not okay with that just yet.

Lesson #2a: Eating and/or drinking with viewing and/or listening to VoicePlay is dangerous, to yourself and possibly any electronics in range. I've warned about this before, but it's important.

Lesson #2b: You are no match for Earl. Because most of my near-choking VoicePlay induced moments have come from him. He cracks me up, which is a great thing. Unless water or some other beverage is involved.

Lesson #3: Becoming a VoicePlay fan means that at some point, you're going to randomly think of something funny they've done. This can make you look like a lunatic in public. My go-to example: watching a guitarist switch to a banjo during a concert and getting a mental picture of Geoff holding up his sign from "Miley Cyrus". In which the word banjo takes on a hilarious (and frankly, disturbing) new meaning. Hello, unexpected giggle fit. And hello to the lady that was at the next table giving me funny looks. Which takes me to...

Lesson #4a: You know another surefire way to get funny looks from complete and total strangers? Try rapping along with VoicePlay. Oh yes, this is a thing that has happened. Along those lines...

Lesson #4b: There are people in this world who have entirely no business rapping. I am, without question, one of those people. It's bad, y'all. Leading us to this fact...

Lesson #4c: You are not Eli. Attempting to imitate Eli (like, say, by trying to sing/rap along with him on their "Ride" cover) is not advised. Odds are at some point, you're just going to say the heck with it and sing along with Geoff instead. Help me, indeed.

Lesson #5: You know who else you're probably not? Layne. Trying to imitate him will probably also lead to getting funny looks. From your dog. Everyone's a critic.

Lesson #6a: It would appear that the more you find yourself stuck in traffic, the more Tonylike you become.

Lesson #6b: I've said it before, but it holds true. Belting your swears is incredibly cathartic. So next time you feel stressed? Put on "Stuck in Traffic" and sing along. Let Tony inspire you and really go for it at the end. Remember to use your diaphragm for maximum effect.

Lesson #7a: Don't take yourself too seriously. No really, don't. That said...

Lesson #7b: Take your passions seriously. Whatever those passions may be. Don't just settle for the bare minimum. Always go at least one step further. If not more.

Today's video is a new version of "Grim Grinning Ghosts", a song that you can find on their fabulous Once Upon an Ever After album (review found here). They did a live version of this song for their YouTube channel four years ago. You can watch that here. I'm going to be honest and admit that I had a few little misgivings about them doing a new version because it could've been basically the same, visually speaking. That said...



Lesson #8: I should've known better than to doubt them because this is VoicePlay we're talking about here. They have yet to let me down. See, one of my favorite things about them is that you can listen to one of their covers and then compare it to the original and you know what? They never sound exactly the same. Never. VoicePlay always makes them different, in some fashion or another. Different and more interesting. I'm really not surprised to see that this mindset applies to their videos.

I feel like this video is a great representation of the magic of Patreon at work. Because Patreon makes it possible for artists to take their art - music videos, in VoicePlay's case - to another level. I don't mean to knock any of the other acts I support on Patreon, but you really see that in the videos they've put out since joining. There's something I know I say a lot; I just can't seem to drive that point home enough. Especially because I think they should have, oh, about a million more patrons. Did you know that you can become one for as little as $1 per video? It's money well spent and if you don't believe me, watch the video.

After all as Geoff says in the beginning, they've been dying to have you. Though, um, in this case you might want to have your death certificate ready.



Is this perfect for Halloween or what? I can't continue this without giving a shout-out to the incredible makeup and prosthetics which, as the description tells us, were provided by Makeup & Creative Arts, LLC.  They did an outstanding job. As did Layne and Eli, who are credited with the video production for this. I'd love to know how long it took them because I can't imagine that this was in any way easy to put together. You know, there was a point where I wanted to get into video production, but I never did. This is kind of making me wish that I had. Because it might not be easy to do, but look at the final product. Just like how over the past years I've felt that engineers are sort of the unsung heroes in the music making process, I feel like that's kind of the same for the video production teams. People may ooh and aah over the final result, but how often do you think about the people behind the scenes?

Granted, in this instance, if you're oohing and aahing over the final result, you are technically oohing and aahing over Layne and Eli (and the others). But that's more about what they're doing in front of the camera. So I just wanted them to know that, yes, I read the description box and had to shout them out for their work behind it this time. Because they really did a fabulous job. Layne and Eli, I'd high five the both of you if I could. And if you know me, you know that I don't even like high fives, so that is indeed saying something. Please know that I, and I imagine all VoicePlayas, appreciate everything that you do. Whether it's in front or behind the camera. Which after glancing at the description box again means a shout out to the cameraperson, a Tre Stix. This also means another shout out to Layne for the mix because he did a great job with that too. It sounds so good! I've had the opportunity to watch a couple of engineers here in Nashville work their magic and it's actually pretty fascinating. Especially when they're at this level. 

You know what? You can't have a final mix without first having an arrangement. This is a Geoff arrangement. Which naturally means that I need to add him to my ever growing high five list. Arranging music is another one of those things that I've love to say I could do. More so since getting into a cappella music and especially so since becoming a VoicePlay fan. I kind of adore their arrangements and wish that more people approached arranging music the way Geoff (and Layne) do. It's gotten to the point where I feel like I can't listen to an arrangement without wondering how Geoff and/or Layne would do it. It'd be so interesting to learn more about their arranging process. 

So the next time you watch a cool video like this one or listen to a great track, take a moment to think about the people behind the scenes. They don't get anywhere near the credit that they deserve. This all said, the fangirl in me can't let this post end without throwing Earl and Tony on the high five list. Because they're Earl and Tony, for heaven's sake. Leave them out? I think not! Besides I love the harmonies in this. As if I don't always love their harmonies. Rhythm section? Rock solid. Again, as always. All around a great video. You guessed it: as always.

This turned into a weird life lesson and high five fest, but hey, that's okay. This is such a wonderful video for Halloween, but honestly? I think I'll be enjoying this one throughout the year. Another great thing about VoicePlay videos? You can always find new things to appreciate and/or giggle over on repeated viewings. Case in point: Earl during "or a silly spook may sit by your side" shortly after the 1 minute mark. I have no idea how I missed that the first time! I'll refer you back to lesson #2b. 

That'll do it for this time. There are definitely more VoicePlay related posts in the works. More video spotlights and a couple of other things I'm personally looking forward to doing, though it might be a little while. 

In the meantime, keep up with VoicePlay below:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.