Skip to main content

Arthritis Awareness: Music Therapy, Part 4a. Once Upon an Ever After by VoicePlay

I knew when I decided to dedicate August to all things Disney, that it would involve a write-up of VoicePlay's Once Upon an Ever After album. How could it not? It's a wonderful album and one I've been wanting to write about for a while now. Those of you who've read any of my other VoicePlay posts know that they tend to get pretty silly and even downright ridiculous. They just bring that side of my personality out, which is one of the reasons why I love writing about them. 

That said, this time is going to be a little different. This was originally just going to be a typical album write-up. The format will be the same as all my other album write-ups, but I decided to make this the fourth installment of my Music Therapy series. If you're unfamiliar with that series, it's one I started to highlight one of the biggest things that helps me deal with having rheumatoid arthritis (RA). This is the first installment that consists of an entire album. The others have been a hodgepodge of songs by various artists. So why dedicate an installment solely to this album? First, because it's impossible for me to feel bad when I listen to it. It takes me to a happy place. 

If you noticed, I have this titled as Part 4a. Why? Because in starting to write about why this album makes me happy, I found myself writing about why VoicePlay makes me happy. That's the second reason why I wanted to feature Once Upon an Ever After in this series. After realizing that the original post was starting to reach novella status, I thought it'd be better to break it up. This part, 4a, is all about the album. The second part, 4b, is going to be about what these guys have become to me and the impact that they've had on me. That's going to be a little more serious and more personal and will be coming very, very soon.

In the meantime, let's talk about Once Upon an Ever After.

"Celebrate You" - Originally sung by Corbin Bleu, this is a fun way to kick off the album and one that I think all of my fellow RA fighters should have in their collection. I mean, I can say that for the album as a whole and mean it, but if you were only going to get one song from this album? Make it this one. I've been a part of several online support groups over the years and lemme tell you: there's a lot of broken hearts and spirits in the RA community. We can be very hard on ourselves. So many of us get caught in the trap of comparing ourselves to healthy people and thinking that we don't measure up. That we're worth less than they are because our immune systems are out of control. That other people might be worth celebrating, but not ourselves. 

So this part is for everyone like me. Please understand this: you matter, your pain matters and your struggles matter. Your illness does not make you worthless. A flare does not decrease your value. Stop being so hard on yourself. Realize that you are worth celebrating. Get this song and the next time you start feeling bad about yourself? Put it on and crank it up until you feel better. I promise that you will.

Okay? Okay. Pep talk over. Let's talk about the rest of the album. 

"The King Has Returned (Circle of Life, Hakuna Matata, I Just Can't Wait to Be King, Be Prepared)" - Ladies and gentlemen, we have a Lion King medley. If you know me at all, you know that I love me some VoicePlay medleys. This album has four. Life is good, my friends. If "Celebrate You" didn't cheer you up, this one should do the trick. Especially once "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" starts. There's two kinds of people in this world: those who admit they always groove along from this point on (and the next song, to be honest). And liars. And closing with "Be Prepared"? Win. 

"Grim Grinning Ghosts" - One of my nine favorite songs on this album, this is the theme song for the Haunted Mansion attractions and this is the best it's ever sounded. Perfect evil laugh at the beginning is perfect. The other day I was messing around on iTunes and ended up on the playlist of my 25 most played songs and this is #20. Right under their version of "Love Yourself" and above their "Diamond in the Rough" medley. And there might be nine more of their songs on that list. What can I say? I'm a registered VoicePlayaholic. But I do love this one. Great beat. Video break? I say yes.



"Take As Old As Time (Be Our Guest, Gaston, Beauty and the Beast)" - Medley #2. A Beauty and the Beast medley, no less. That was probably my favorite movie as a kid so you can imagine how happy this makes me. Though I'll say this: it's a sad state of affairs when a guy can't get his Peabo Bryson on in peace. Tsk tsk. Seriously though, what is up with VoicePlay interrupting Beauty and the Beast songs? First this and then in their ACA-Top Ten Broadway medley. I'll also say this: you have never heard "Beauty and the Beast" quite like this. And it's great. 

"Pumpkins, Poppins, and Sorcerers (A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes, Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo, Let's Go Fly a Kite, I Love to Laugh, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious)" - I think this might actually be my favorite. I love the way they knit all these songs together. They get bonus points for including Mary Poppins. Just because it seems like you don't hear too many covers from it. Love this one. 

"Diamond in the Rough (Prince Ali, A Whole New World, Friend Like Me)" - An Aladdin medley, guys. Be still my medley loving heart. I don't know what to say about this one other than that I love it. "Prince Ali" and "Friend Like Me" are so much fun and "A Whole New World" is beautiful. You know what we need? A video break. Guys?



"This is Halloween" - The fun continues with this one. Dare I say the rhythm section just cooks in this? I do. I do dare. There's a lot of cool stuff going on in this one. I'd say it's one you need to listen to multiple times to fully appreciate it. Bonus points for all the voice acting going on too. This, I think more than others, really shows how different VoicePlay is from other a cappella groups. 

"When You Wish Upon a Star" - Love that they included this oh-so-classic Disney song. Maybe the most nostalgia-inducing track on the album. The harmonies are just beautiful. 

Bonus track: "Rango Theme Song" - Okay, so this one is not a Disney song, but I love that they did it. Talk about songs that make you want to dance along, I swear. This is one that I probably don't need to listen to around other people. Because I feel like the aforementioned dancing reaches new heights of ridiculous with this song. It's so catchy, I can't help myself. 

Whew. If you made it to this point, you deserve a high five. And I say that as someone who hates high fives since they tend to hurt. This'll do it for the first of what may end up being multiple months dedicated to Disney. It's been a fun month filled with a bunch of great music. Missed something? Click on the Disney tab above.

Remember to be on the lookout Part B which, again, is coming very soon. And keep up with VoicePlay here:
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Patreon


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.