Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: aca-DISNEY by VoicePlay

VoicePlay + Disney? Magical.
VoicePlay + Broadway? Equally magical.
VoicePlay + Disney on Broadway? Extra magical!

Or, to quote Igor from Young Frankenstein (the musical), it's "Right up there with the world's greatest pairs! Like Laurel and Hardy/Like Coke and Bacardi/ Like Juliet and Romeo/ Ebb and flow/ To and fro...destined to be a great pair!" Sidenote #1: I cut out a good chunk of the lyrics from fro to destined, but you get the idea. Sidenote #2: VoicePlay + Young Frankenstein? Oh, the hilarity that could bring. But back to the issue at hand. VoicePlay's aca-DISNEY.

What, you thought I was going to dedicate a month to Disney and not feature VoicePlay at some point? Have you met me? Actually, it occurs to me that maybe you haven't. If that's the case, let me introduce myself. My name is Kim and I am a VoicePlayaholic. I've long accepted the fact that there's no help for it. It's no one's fault. Actually, scratch that. It's VoicePlay's fault for always coming up with new music for me and my fellow VoicePlayaholics to love. Because they all appear to be in just as deep as I am. We're, well, we're really just a group of enablers, to be honest. We all feel the need to share their videos on the regular. Or a screenshot. If you see one, you then gotta go watch it. You just do. I didn't make the rule, I just follow it.

Actually, to be serious, I've had some bad experiences with fan groups over the years to the point that I've become very hesitant to reach out other fans. But from all I've seen, VoicePlay fans are special. I don't know a ton of them, but the ones that I've come across? So nice and fun. I've never seen a VoicePlay fan insult another artist or a fellow fan. It's the type of group that would rather spend their time loving on the guys than hate on anyone else. It's about what VoicePlay does and the music that they create, first and foremost. Then, it's about seeing them as real people and genuinely caring about them as such. I believe that fans often reflect the artists they like. After all, it's the artist who sets the tone. These guys are all about love, music, fun and perhaps a Twinkie or two. It's one of the main reasons why being one of their fans is so great.

That and their medleys  - I do so love their medleys. I think this one may just be the most endearing of them all. It's one of my favorites and one of their best. Check it out and try to resist the overwhelming urge to groove along. I dare ya.

Please note that this video is on Disney on Broadway's YouTube channel.
Not VoicePlay's channel, which is the channel linked at the end of the post.

That moment when you're watching and the video freezes at the 2:22 mark. What an expression on Layne's face at that moment. It gave me a giggle. Layne, for anyone unawares, would be the gentleman in the spiffy leather jacket in the front. Actually, he has some pretty priceless reactions throughout this that I don't think I've ever fully appreciated until recently.

Let's backtrack. I found out about these guys near the end of 2014. First video I saw of theirs? "Survivor". The next? "ACA-Top 10 Broadway". And then, there was this one. That naturally led to watching the rest of the videos they had out at that point. The VoicePlayaholicification (try saying that five times fast) process had begun. This process was finalized after seeing them live the following March. Back then, if I was in the mood to watch a VoicePlay video, odds were that I was going to go with either the Broadway Top 10 or aca-DISNEY. Now there's a few other main go-tos, but my love for aca-DISNEY? Officially renewed.

Bringing us back to Layne appreciation time. He gave me a few solid giggles in this. I think his reaction to Earl's roar is the best. Hands down. He shoots Geoff a couple of great looks. Geoff being the one sitting next to him. But for Layne, the medleys really show off his talent. They could you a pretty good idea of what he can do. Speaking of this, while I don't understand how he makes a lot of the sounds he makes, that thing he does near the end of "I Just Can't Wait To Be King" is one of the most baffling to me. That's one I attempted myself and failed miserably. You want a greater appreciation for what vocal percussionists do? Try imitating them. This is also a great way to make yourself feel like an idiot.  Lesson learned: leave the vocal percussion to the professionals.

Next up: Geoff. To my ears, easily one of the most musical basses around. One of the strongest in terms of imitating a bass instrument. You know what else I like about Geoff, vocally speaking? He's more than capable of producing those ridiculously low notes that you can actually feel - and does so often. There's one at 2:20 and another at the very end. That should be enough to prove it, but if you need more? Go check out the most recent Partwork he did with Earl, which you can find right here. Holy low notes, Batman. I feel like Geoff is choosier than others about picking his moments. With him, it seems to be less about showing off and more about what works musically. I respect that.

Now, I think it's time for a  proclamation. Are you ready? I hereby dub Eli Jacobson (the bespectacled gentleman in the back), King of the Vocal Run. That's right. King. Hey, I always have to mention his vocal runs when I write about him, so yes, I think that qualifies him as King of the Vocal Run. May I offer the run he starts at around 2:36 as further evidence? Because that's what I'm talking about right there. Besides, I think King Eli has a nice ring to it.  His reign shall be soulful and melodious. Long may he prosper.

That moment when you realize that you dubbed Eli a King when talking about a medley that involved Earl singing "I Just Can't Wait to Be King". Awkward. Oh well, them's the breaks. Actually, no. I take that back. How can I possibly give one E a silly title and not the other? I can't. So, now I present Earl Elkins, Jr., High Note Slayer. No note is safe, not even the ridiculously high ones. He doesn't just hit these notes like a regular tenor, no, not the Slayer. He slays them. Like a boss. Need more proof of his extreme high tenorosity? Did you watch that Partwork I linked in Geoff's section? Because, well, holy high notes Bat- wait - Superman. Because Earl. He sounds great in this and let's be real: his roar? The best part.

Finally, goodness knows, we can't forget Tony. Him singing Aladdin? What is "things that are perfect", Alex? About as perfect as him singing Phantom. I think I've said it before, but he's a versatile Tony. Always fun to watch and this is one of the best examples of why. He's so entertaining. You know, they've taken to calling him the Tony. He certainly doesn't need another title. Which naturally means he's getting one. If both the E's got one, why not the T too? Because it seems just about everyone loves the Tony. Well, all of them, but this is Tony time. Even my puggle Maggie isn't immune. She's been known to howl along with their "Phantom of the Opera" cover. Because when the Tony orders you to sing, by God, you sing. Or, um, howl. Evidently the Tony has actual Phantom-esque powers. So, how about a Phantom-esque title for him, hmm? The Angel of A Cappella Music, mayhaps? Not completely sold on it, but it'll do.

Anyhoo, this was one of the first videos I knew I was going to feature during this month of Disney. There was no way I could leave it out. There's also a very good chance that these guys will get featured again this month. We'll see.

In the meantime, I see no reason not to go full circle with the silliness: new titles for the rhythm section as well! Because it's VoicePlay and it's possible that I'm a bit overtired at the moment. So, I hereby dub Geoff the Baron of Basstopia and Layne, Laird of the Sick Beat. I mean, we have a King, a Slayer and an Angel - why not a Baron and a Laird too?

Yeah...I think I'm gonna go get some, frankly, much needed rest. Y'all go and check out their socials, would ya?
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Patreon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.