Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: Cruella de Vil by VoicePlay

Reasons why this video was a given for this week of villains:
1) It's VoicePlay.
2) As said in my ACA-Disney write-up, VoicePlay singing Disney is magical. 
3) It's VoicePlay.
4) It's one of the most iconic villain songs.
5) It's VoicePlay.
6) It features their cutest guest star to date. Not knocking any of their other guest stars, but I mean, come on. Just look at that face in the thumbnail. How can you not love that face?
7) Come on, again. It's VoicePlay singing Disney and there's a dog in the video. It's a trifecta of goodness! 

Fun fact: dogs make everything better. The video could've been terrible (it isn't), but throw a dog in there and I'll watch it. And if the video is great (it is), a dog'll still make it better. Guaranteed. 

Clearly, I had no choice but to feature this one. It would have been wrong not to. Especially considering that Disney had them do this in honor of the Blu-ray release of 101 Dalmatians. It's on the Disney YouTube channel even. So, if they're good enough for Disney, who am I to argue? 

Besides, let me remind you...
8) It's VoicePlay! 

Watch.


My initial thought the first time I ever watched this (last year sometime) was that poor dog, getting shooed off the couch when all he (or she, I don't know which) wanted was to hang with the guys. But you know what? Hog the couch, block the TV, turn it off and get rewarded with a performance. Only to get to hang out with the guys at the end. This dog is a genius, y'all. 

I'll get to the performance shortly, but I got sidetracked by their snacks. Confession: I have never had a peanut M&M. I used to like peanuts and I like chocolate quite a bit, but have never tried a peanut M&M. I always liked what used to be the plain M&Ms; now they're milk chocolate M&Ms and I couldn't tell you the last time I had any. The only other kind of M&M I've had? The limited edition mint ones that come out around Christmas. While I'm still on the topic of the snacks? It always makes me a bit nervous when Tony has some popcorn mid-song. I know that's ridiculous. But every time I watch, I can't help but think that if I attempted that, well. It would end badly. I'm flashing back to that time I made the disastrous mistake of trying to have some water while watching their Miley musical. Popcorn seems way more dangerous to me. But then, I apparently don't have the skills that Tony has. Namely, the skill of not almost dying by trying to eat mid-performance. Respect.

As so often is the case when talking about these guys, I digress. Back to the issue at hand. Their reactions when the TV turns off? Priceless. Equally priceless? The look on Geoff's face right at the end of Layne's solo. I swear, the looks that they give each other during their videos are the best. The arrangement is great, as usual. These guys are so wonderful in that they can pay tribute to a song while still making it their own. Their arrangements are on a different level from most. In fact, I'd even say that their arrangements are the most interesting. Not saying that because they're my favorites. If anything, that's one of the reasons why they're my favorites. The harmonies? Always solid. Earl and Eli? Always great. Geoff and Tony? Equally great. That said, if I had to name an MVP for the video? It'd be Layne. He shines in this.

Or rather, I'd name Layne the MVP out of all the VoicePlay guys, but I do believe it's a title that he must share with their loveable co-star. Somehow I don't think he'd mind. I mean, how could he? This dog rocks. That shot of the dog with the wig on? Come on. As you may have gathered, I love dogs. As do the men of VoicePlay. Incidentally, this is reason #83 on the list of why they rock. It does beg the question: why isn't there a dog in every video? 

You know what though? While dogs do make everything better, I think these guys are plenty loveable on their own. I also think that that'll do it for this time. That'll also do it for villains week. There's still some more Disney to come, including another post about these guys. Spoiler alert: that one will not be a video spotlight. What will it be? Well, you're just going to have to wait and see. 

In the meantime, find more VoicePlay goodness below:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.