Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: Disney Love Medley by Voctave featuring Kirstin Maldonado & Jeremy Michael Lewis

That's it. I seriously need to go back to Orlando at some point. Orlando, Florida is a hotbed for a cappella music. From what I can tell, it's kind of like what Nashville is for country music. It's a treasure trove for harmonies down there. The last time I was in Orlando was during a band/chorus trip as part of the women's choir when I was in high school. Meaning that I haven't been there this millenium. This, my friends, is a problem. I must go back at some point.

I've written a ton about one Orlando based a cappella group, my beloved VoicePlay. Now it's time to write about another: Voctave. As of right now, they only have a few videos on their YouTube channel, but if you've never heard them, I've got you covered. Let's start with a run down of the line up.There's the sopranos - Kate Lott and Tiffany Coburn. Alto/soprano Ashley Espinoza and alto Sarah Whittemore. There's the tenors - E.J. Cardona, Tony de Rosa  (who also serves as their director) and James Ray (their arranger). Last, but certainly not last, there's baritone Kurt von Schmittou and bass JC Fullerton. Their "Disney Love Medley" made the rounds on social media earlier this year and features Kirstin Maldonado of Pentatonix and her then boyfriend and now fiance Jeremy Michael Lewis. 

Don't ask me how, but I remember seeing people sharing this and yet somehow never watched it until I was prepping for this month of Disney. And I fell in love, which is rather appropriate seeing as how it's the "Disney Love Medley". I'm not exaggerating when I say that this has to be the most beautiful thing I've heard in a while. It's so wonderfully done. I'm very happy to finally be featuring it. So let's get to it. 



Gorgeous. Heavenly. Luscious. All words that come to mind every time I watch or listen to this. This was one that completely captured my heart the first time I saw it. This arrangement is, in a word, outstanding. James Ray did such a beautiful job with it. I've said it before about other arrangers and I'll say it now about him. It makes my heart so happy that there are people with this kind of talent creating things like this. Not only that, but that these things usually do very well. It's so interesting discovering all of these new groups. If you're new to my blog than you may not know that this used to be strictly devoted to country music. But as much as I've always loved - and still love - country music, it's kind of been a frustrating time to be a fan. There's still a lot of greatness to be found, but so much of it has been the same. Both lyrically and musically. What does that have to with this? Well, my love for music had taken a beating and I got to where I just wasn't passionate about it anymore. I really started getting into a cappella music towards the end of 2014 and I'm discovering new treasures all the time. This being one of the best. I don't want to take anything away from the rest of the singers, but so much of it goes back to the arrangement. I'm so grateful for James Ray and other great arrangers like him for their talent. For wanting to create things that are special and not just more of the same. This piece, more than others I've come to love, takes me back to my choir days. I was usually in one kind of chorus or another from middle school up through my first couple of years of college and you know what? I didn't realize just how much I miss being in one until I saw this. 

It's not just the stunning arrangement; it's those incredible harmonies. I'll get to Kirstin and Jeremy in a moment, but I think I have what can only be described as an a cappella group crush. Another one. That's a mouthful, I know. I always love to hear great singers sing and you know what's better than one great singer? A group of them singing together. And that's what Voctave is: a group of great singers whose voices blend together so beautifully. Oh to get the chance to hear them live. I just know that they sound better live. I just know it. I think we can safely assume that they will be featured on my blog again at some point. 

Now, again, this is the "Disney Love Medley". Made up of "I See the Light" from Tangled, "You'll Be In My Heart" from Tarzan and "Go the Distance" from Hercules. These songs go together so well and Kirstin and Jeremy did such a wonderful job singing them. They sound fantastic and knowing that they're a couple adds another dimension that's just like an extra heaping of loveliness. I pretty much just flat out adore this medley and I hope that you did too. 

For more Voctave, you can find them here:
Website
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
Patreon

For more Kirstin, you can find her here:
Pentatonix Website
Facebook
Twitter

And Jeremy Michael Lewis:
Twitter 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.