Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: One Man Disney Movie by Nick Pitera

In the mood to watch a Disney movie, but short on time? I got you covered. Or rather, Nick Pitera's got you covered. If you were around during my Phantom of the Opera week back in March, you might recall his "One Man Phantom (medley)". Well, before he did that, he did this. It's a Disney movie performed by one man and one man alone and it all happens in less than 9 minutes. It's kind of like a Disney movie to-go. He takes songs from multiple Disney movies, namely: Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Enchanted, Hercules, Mulan, The Jungle Book and Pinocchio. With a little but of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at the very end - seriously, it's like two words.

You have the hero and the heroine, the villain and the sidekick and a couple of chorus members. Check it out.





I'd say that this was quite the undertaking and you know what? Nick pulled it off and very well at that. It's so much fun watching how his personality and entire demeanor changes based on which character he's voicing at the moment. Not to mention his voice. Yes, that really is him singing all of the parts. Nick's got some range! I must admit that he's at his most entertaining as the villain. The performances are spot on and his reactions to everything else are so perfect. There's at least a couple of times when he looks at the camera dead on like he "...really?" and I get a kick out of it each time. Then when he's finally had enough and gives that salute before leaving, it makes me chuckle.

I love that he included Enchanted because I find that movie to be so underrated and neglected. It's one that I like so it always makes me happy to see someone sing something from it. I also liked the idea to combine "Go the Distance" from Hercules with "Reflection" from Mulan. Both songs are about the hero/heroine trying to find their place in the world and I thought they worked well together. It's always nice when someone takes lyrical content into account when they mash songs together. Too many times people will put songs together just because it works musically and while that can work, I appreciate people taking the next step and choosing songs that work together lyrically. "When You Wish Upon a Star" at the end is lovely. The perfect song to conclude the medley, especially mixing in lines from other songs. "Be Prepared" from the villain, "Hakuna Matata" from the sidekick and "I'm wishing" from the heroine. It all tied together very nicely.

Hope you enjoyed it! Want to keep up with Nick? Here you go:
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Patreon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.