Skip to main content

Album Review: Timeless by Home Free

I would say that this became one of the albums I've anticipated the most, not just speaking of 2017 but in general. Why you ask? Because it's Home Free for starters and if you're new here, I love these guys a lot. They have become one of my all time favorite groups and the reason why should become apparent once you listen to them. 

Seriously, I know a lot of the people who read this are reading it because they already love them. I'm hoping that this might inspire those of you who haven't heard them yet to hop of the Home Free bandwagon. They've released music videos for a few of the songs and I'll be including those in the post, so you don't even have to leave the post to hear them if you haven't. The videos are all great so let me go ahead and say that you're welcome ahead of time.

The other reason I've been anticipating this album? Because it's the first non-holiday album that they've released with their newest member Adam Chance. They've done quite a few videos with Chance already since last year and he's fit in seamlessly from the beginning. So I was very interested in hearing his first non-holiday album with the other guys. 

Timeless in a word? Wonderful. It's such a strong album that shows off their harmonies in full force. If you aren't already aware, Home Free is an a cappella country vocal group. In my opinion, they are one of the best a cappella groups out there in addition to being one of the strongest country groups out today. These five guys are so talented and writing about them is always a treat.

I'm going to take you through every track on the deluxe edition of Timeless. The last three songs on the album can only be found on this deluxe version, so know that going in. It's available on their website and online. As always, I will have all of their social media links at the very end of the post. 

So let's get to it.

1) "Life is a Highway". I was so happy to see that this song was on the album. It's one that they did on The Sing Off and that they've been doing in their live show and it's great to get an album version. Nothing like starting an a cappella country album getting blasted by a wall of sound. Seriously, I had my volume up really high for whatever reason with my headphones on - headphones are definitely recommended - and actually jumped a little when it started.  It was kind of like being punched in the face (in the ears?) with harmony. Not the first time this has happened to me. But you know what? When the harmony is this good, I'm good with it. Great energy to kick things off. 

2) "It Looks Good" (Original). Timeless features four originals and that makes me happy. Home Free has gotten a lot of attention through their fabulous covers and so I completely understand why we get so many of them. I love their covers. But at the same time, I love that we get some originals too. Bass singer Tim Foust was one of the co-writers on this track. I really like the feel of this one; it has a cool, pleasant groove to it. 

3) "Castle On The Hill". This is a cover of an Ed Sheeran song. Now, if you're familiar with Ed Sheeran, you know that he isn't a country artist, but you know what? That doesn't matter. Home Free can make anything sound country and the lyrics lean towards country anyway. This one starts off with Adam Chance on lead which was a great choice. I like his voice a lot; great tone to it. One of my favorite things about Home Free is that all five of them get their moments to shine. The four vocalists with their solos that are perfectly backed by Tim and vocal percussionist Adam Rupp. You'll hear second tenor Rob Lundquist take over the lead partway through and then Chance takes it back. I like the contrast between their voices. Great cover. Enjoy the video.



4) "When You Walk In" (Original). As if to prove my point about them each getting a chance to shine, this song features high tenor Austin Brown on lead. I always say this about Austin, but he has that golden throat that I love. Solid original; I'm happy it made the cut. 

5) "We Just Disagree". This was a somewhat surprising choice to me, but I like it. If only more people took this philosophy. "So let's leave it alone / 'Cause we can't see eye to eye / There ain't no good guy / There ain't no bad guy / There's only you and me / And we just disagree." Good track.

6) "In The Blood". One of the standouts on Timeless, this song is originally by John Mayer and has been making a bit of a splash in country music. It's a great song and one that shows off Home Free's luscious vocals the best.



7) "Man of Constant Sorrow". I have to say that when I first saw the track list for Timeless, this is the song that I was the most curious about. You might know this song from O Brother, Where Art Thou - it's the song that the Soggy Bottom Boys do that features George Clooney's character on lead (in reality, that was Dan Tyminski singing). Home Free gave it a bluesy kind of feel and I love it. If I had to pick a favorite track from this album, this would be it. This one makes me smile because it reminds me just how good these guys are. 

8) "Good Ol' Boy Good Time" (Original). Another solid original. It has a pleasant feel to it that makes you feel good when you listen to it, which is always nice. 

9) "I Can't Outrun You". Another surprising choice. There's some beautiful harmonies on this one and it features Chance on lead. Wonderful vocals by him on this. Great track.



10) "Hillbilly Bone". Every now and then, Home Free covers a song and when I listen to it my first thought is that it was only a matter of time before they did this. This is one of those. It just feels like this was meant to be a Home Free cover. It's such a fun song and one that suits them well. Love their video for it.



11) "Timeless" (Original). The final original on Timeless and I like that they went with this for the album title. It was a good choice. This is the kind of song that you just want to crank up and if you're in the car, roll the windows down and drive. I like this song a lot; this is my favorite of the originals.

12) "Mayday". I was so intrigued when I saw this on the list. The only other song I was more curious about was "Man of Constant Sorrow". I've really liked "Mayday" from the first time I heard the original by Cam. I think it's interesting to hear male singers sing songs originally by female singers and vice versas; it always seems to add another dimension to it and I'd say that applies here. I like this one the more I listen to it. I love the groove they gave it. 

13) "Blue Ain't Your Color". I did a video spotlight on this earlier this year and you can find that here. I still love their take on it and was happy to see it featured on the deluxe version. Rob and Chance kill the leads on this one. They're both so smooth and I love it. Then you add in Austin's high vocal accents and that takes it to another level. And the rhythm section of Tim and Adam is top notch, as usual.



14) "My Church". If there's one song on Timeless (*the deluxe version) that I'm most likely to sing along with, it's definitely this one. "My Church" is one of those songs. Originally by the talented Maren Morris, I'd say this song qualifies as a jam. I don't know what it is; it's just infectious, especially when Home Free does it. I love their take on it and can't help smiling like a loon when Tim sings "hotter than a ring of fire" because of course they'd give him that line. 



If you somehow aren't aware, one of Home Free's most popular covers is their version of "Ring of Fire" (video found here) which features a note from Tim that can only be classified as subterranean. In any event, my favorite part of this might be the little breakdown or whatever you want to call it right before the 2 minute mark. Starting with Rob's "And the people sing amen", it's like we actually go to church for a minute there and I'm so here for it. That and Austin's ad-libs in the last minute (or so). Love this one.

So in my opinion, Timeless is a solid win from top to finish. Home Free is in my top three favorite vocal groups. Once I heard them, there was no going back. I just love 'em. 

If you also love 'em and want to keep up with this, here's where you can. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.