Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: I Dreamed a Dream by Chase Holfelder

Chase Holfelder was a fairly recent discovery for me and when I was looking around for Les Mis covers and saw that he'd done this one, I was immediately intrigued. If you're not familiar with Chase, I did a video spotlight on him last month that you can read here. But he does a series on his YouTube channel where he takes songs that were originally done in a major key and puts them into a minor key. It's so interesting to hear how different this can make a song sound. Chase takes it one step farther and changes up the instrumentation. I think it's probably safe to say that you've never heard "I Dreamed a Dream" like this before!

Check it out.




My first thought about this cover is that it's one that Les Mis purists might not appreciate. People can get very picky and protective of their favorite musicals and don't like when people try something different. Now I can see myself as being a bit of a Les Mis snob, but I love how different this is. Especially considering that "I Dreamed a Dream" is one of those songs that's been covered a lot. For good reason. It's one of my favorites songs from the show and I know that I'm definitely not alone in feeling that way. As much as I love the original, I always appreciate when people can put their own spin on it. Especially in the case of "I Dreamed a Dream" which has become so iconic. 

My next thought about this was that it's odd to think that "I Dreamed a Dream" is actually in a major key to begin with. It's such a sad and heartbreaking song and I was so curious about what switching it to a minor key would do to it. While I watched Chase's introduction, I too was wondering if it would end up sounding even more melancholy. And you know what? I don't think it did. It's still very haunting and there's a creepiness to it that's not found in the original. But what's most interesting to me is that the sadness has been replaced by a kind of angry determination. It becomes a song about someone reflecting on how horribly they've been treated and working up the courage to do something about it. It got me thinking about how different Fantine's story might have been if she'd sought revenge on the man who broke her heart. Although in this version, it's a woman who broke his heart, but you get what I'm saying. It almost sounds like a song that a villain might sing and if you've seen Les Mis, Fantine is definitely not what you'd consider a villain. 

Now I'm trying to imagine what Les Mis would be like if all the songs that were currently in major keys were switched to a minor key instead. If this is any indication, it'd become a lot angrier and darker. You know what song I'm suddenly the most curious about? "Master of the House". As it is, it's sung by an innkeeper who is constantly looking for ways to trick his customers into paying more money. I feel like it could easily be turned into something out a horror movie. The line "Jesus, won't I skin you to the bone" would be a heck of a lot more sinister, I think. 

This is my favorite thing about Chase's major to minor series. It gets me thinking in a way that most songs I listen to do not. Granted, this takes me down some creepy paths sometimes. Don't believe me? Go ahead and check out the link to my spotlight on Chase that I posted in the introduction. 

If you enjoyed this and are interested in seeing what else Chase has to offer, here's where you can keep up with him:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.