Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: Can't Stop The Feeling by Home Free

Summer is officially upon us. The heat is oppressive and reminds me of why I prefer more moderate temperatures, but it's all good. As long as I have good music and access to air-conditioning, things are good. In fact, things are better than good because some of my favorite artists have been releasing some great videos as of late. Home Free certainly being among them. Their newest video is a cover of a Justin Timberlake song, one that I've seen hailed as the most popular song in the country at the moment. I actually have yet to hear the original version and unfortunately for it, Home Free's cover is going to be hard to top.

"Can't Stop The Feeling" is just flat out fun. Perfect for summer. See for yourself. And if you find yourself dancing along, well, know that you're not alone.







If you watched until the very end - as you always should - you heard bass singer Tim Foust talk about how much fun they had filming this and I believe it. One of my favorite things about this video is that we see that all five members of the groups have some moves and aren't shy about showing them off. That, paired with that oh-so-wonderful groove, makes it somehow easier to dance along. It's contagious. They all clearly having a blast. I've made this point before, but videos are always so much more entertaining when the singer (singers, in this case) are obviously enjoying themselves. It takes it to a completely new level. One that makes it pretty much impossible to resist. That kind of energy is infectious. Why oh why can't more artists understand that? But that's a discussion for another time.

Bottom line is that something magical happens when you combine fun with musical ability. Home Free is so fantastic at what they do. The harmonies are top notch - particularly where it slows down and Tim's on lead. This is the second video featuring the newest member of Home Free, Adam Chance (he would be the one wearing the baseball hat), but I don't think you'd know that if this was your introduction to the group. He fits in perfectly. The bearded and bespectacled Rob Lundquist is a treasure. An absolute treasure.

 Adam Rupp, vocal percussionist extraordinaire, is a beast. Pure and simple. I just saw these guys for the third time at CMAFest a couple of weeks ago and it seems like he's somehow gotten even better than the last time I saw them. Adam is truly in a league of his own. Not just terrific at what he does, but so much fun to watch. He's such a dynamic performer and I think this video does a great job of highlighting that.

Of course, the thing about Adam - and Home Free in general - is that they're that special kind of artist that is great on video and absolutely incredible live. I've seen a lot of performers in my life and they are among the very best. That's why it makes me so happy to see them get more and more popular. This cover has been rightfully getting a lot of attention and it makes me excited about whatever it is they have coming next. With these guys, it's pretty much guaranteed that it's going to be great.

Keep up with Home Free here:
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Patreon

*ICYMI, I included their wonderful "Try Everything" cover in Part 2 of my Arthritis Awareness: Music Therapy series. You can check that out right here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.