Skip to main content

Album Review: Glow by Brett Eldredge

I've thought that Brett Eldredge is among the best male singers in country music for a while now. After listening to Glow, my opinion has changed a bit. I think that Brett Eldredge is among the best male vocalists in music, period. Glow is Brett's third album and he's never sounded better. Considering how good he sounds on his other two albums, this is indeed saying something. In case you weren't aware, Brett is a big fan of Frank Sinatra. I've heard him sing some Frank Sinatra before, on his YouTube channel and on his Snapchat Bedhead Jams. I always love when he does, which is one of the reasons why I adore this album.

To say that Brett is channeling Frank Sinatra on this album is an understatement. There's times when you'd swear you were listening to Frank. This is largely due to his vocals, but the fact that he's singing along with a full symphony doesn't hurt. Out of all the different directions he could've gone with Glow, he decided to go with the classic Big Band sound and, boy, was that a fantastic choice. This album in a word? Outstanding. It's full of warmth and charm and Christmas cheer. What started off as what seems like a lifelong dream of Brett's has become one of my - and no doubt many others - favorite Christmas albums. It's that good. 

Let's look at each of the tracks, shall we?

"Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!" This is one of those times when you would think you were listening to an old school Frank Sinatra record. Right off the bat, you know that you're in for something special. It's an instant mood changer for me. I always seem to find myself smiling when I listen to it. The symphony sounds incredible - not just on this track, but throughout the album. Brett goes for the big finish at the end and I love it. I would so love hearing him sing the entire album live because I bet it'd be even more wonderful.

"Baby, It's Cold Outside" featuring Meghan Trainor. Those of you who know me know that I don't really care for this song. The lyrics kind of creep me out. There are a grand total of two versions that somehow skirt around the problematic lyric. The Hound + The Fox's version and this one. I'll be honest and admit that when I first saw that he was singing this with Meghan Trainor, I was a bit confused. It seemed like an odd choice. But you know what? They sound really good together! Their voices complement each other's so much better than I would've imagined. This track highlights a side of Meghan's voice I've never heard and really like. Brett, for his part, is so naturally charismatic and affable and that does wonders. I daresay that their version is actually quite charming. These are strange times we live in, my friends.

"I'll Be Home For Christmas". Oh Brett, you wonderful little crooner, you. One of my favorite tracks, his delivery is so warm and inviting on this that it really does make you feel like he's singing these words directly to you. Not too many singers have that ability. Lovely arrangement.

"The Christmas Song". This album has such a timeless feel to it and this track is one of the best examples of that, I feel. If a less capable singer was attempting an album like this, it seems like that timelessness would slowly start to wear off as the album progressed. Probably right about here. But Brett is such a great vocalist and sings with so much sincerity that he avoids that problem completely. The more I listen, the more obvious it becomes that his voice is perfectly suited for this style of music. 

"Glow". Ladies and gentlemen, we have a Brett original. And you know what? It fits in perfectly. It brings to mind some of the great golden age of musicals. You know, the ones that starred the likes of Frank Sinatra or Gene Kelley. I have such a fondness for those classic musicals and this song would've been right at home in any of them. Definitely one of my favorite tracks and I like that it's the title track. Great choice.

"White Christmas". I've been trying not to keep using the same words to describe his voice, so here's one I don't believe I've used yet: it's so rich and has just the right amount of huskiness to it. It's one of the reasons why this style fits him so well. He's one that delivers a lyric more than he sings it and that has never been more apparent than on this album.

"Winter Wonderland". This one has a great swing to it and I must say that it feels pretty good. I always seem to groove along with this one. Another big finish at the end that I really like.

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". Just as was the case with "I'll Be Home For Christmas", Brett sounds as if he was singing this specifically with his audience in mind. Like he is sincerely wishing each listener a merry little Christmas. From all that I've seen of Brett, it would not surprise me to find out that that was indeed the case. I love the way this one flows. It's another favorite. 

"Silent Night". On an album full of great singing, this is one of the two standouts on Glow. It's a wonderful vocal by Brett and one that solidifies my belief that he is one of the best male vocalists making music right now. This track makes me realize that it has been far too long since I've heard him live. I do believe that I could happily listen to him sing anything.

"It's Beginning To Look a Lot Like Christmas". One of his most Frank Sinatra-esque tracks on here. And another one where I simply can't stay still while I listen. But not in an over the top way; it's more like that part in Cars when they've cleaned up Radiator Springs and the cars are kind of gently bouncing along down the street. That might be a silly analogy, but you know what? Given Brett's penchant for silliness, it feels appropriate. 

"The First Noel". The other main standout track on the album for me. It starts off with Brett all by his lonesome for the first few lines before the instruments gently come in. The arrangement is beautifully simple with Brett's voice being the main focus. It's a most fitting to end what truly is a wonderful Christmas album. 

Coming to the end of this, I'm reminded of the first time I saw Brett. It was shortly after his debut single "Raymond" had become popular and he was opening for one Trace Adkins in Baltimore on July 1st, 2011. Right by the water at the Pier 6 Pavilion. It was my birthday and what a great way to celebrate it. I went into the show already liking the song "Raymond" and left a bonafide Brett Eldredge fan. There was a period of time after that where it seemed like he was never going to break through and I found that so very frustrating. Voices like his deserve to be heard. Some would have given up, but Brett hung in there. Look at him today. Not only has he grown as a singer and artist, he now has a string of #1 hits to his name. He's broken through and doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon. 

Now Brett has finally put out the album that he dreamed of putting out for who knows how long, proving that sometimes dreams really do come true. How lucky for him. And how wonderful for us. I said it in the introduction and am saying it again. This album is outstanding. It's one that he can be proud of and one that gets me even more excited to see what he does next. As a fan, it's so satisfying to see him doing so well and it actually has me feeling kind of emotional. Well done, Brett. Well done.

Keep up with Brett below:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.