Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: How Great Thou Art by Home Free

After uploading my last video spotlight, I realized that the next thing I posted would be my 200th blog post. I uploaded my first blog on January 6th, 2012. I've gone through periods where I was writing a lot and then there'd be weeks or even months that would go by where I wouldn't write at all. Falling in love with a cappella music near the end of 2014 has done wonders for my writing, as evidenced by all the a cappella related things I've written about over the past couple of years. That love started when I happened across a video by a group that I'd never heard of. The video? The CMA Single of the Year Medley. The group? Home Free.

As soon as they uploaded this on October 28th, I knew it would only be a matter of time before I wrote about it. Because how could I not take the time to write about this one? Upon realizing that this post would be my 200th post, I couldn't think of a more appropriate video to talk about. I mean, it's a video by the group that sent me into the wonderful world of a cappella. But more than that? It's their take on what is easily one of my favorite hymns, "How Great Thou Art".

I'm going to be honest and admit that though I am a Christian and have been for roughly 15 years, I go through periods of doubt. Times when I question everything I've believed. In the past, there's even been times where I doubted the existence of God. Even though I know better. I go through periods where I'm either angry at God or feel abandoned by Him. Of course, in those times, it's not God who has wandered. It's me.

See, I understand what it's like to be knocked down. I've been thrown into my share of pits over the years. Pits of despair or depression. Of fear or anxiety. But if there's one good thing about being tossed into a pit? It's that sooner or later, you have no choice but to look up. The circumstances might not change right away, but something will happen to remind you that you're not alone. It's funny how it happens. Sometimes I get struck by an overwhelming urge to read my Bible or put on some worship music. I'll hear about something wonderful and miraculous, something that can only be explained by the power of God at work. Or I'll be feeling down for whatever reason and one of my favorite groups will release an incredible version of one of the most beloved hymns in existence.

I know I make this point a lot, but it remains true. I have no idea what anyone reading this might be going through. But I would guess that at least some of you are having a tough time. Some of you are stuck in some kind of pit. My hope for those of you is that you might find the same comfort in this video that I do. "How Great Thou Art" was filmed by the talented people of FifGen Films (namely, Reilly Zamber, McKenzie Zamber and Jimmy Bates) while Home Free was in Austria. The visuals? Stunningly beautiful. What a wonderful setting to show how great our God is. When I watch this I wonder how I could have ever doubted the existence of God. Only He could have created something so beautiful. This video is more than a treat for the years; it's one that touches my heart and gives me an overwhelming sense of peace.

As I'm writing this, it is November 5th and "How Great Thou Art" already has over 2.5 millions views on YouTube. So people seem to be liking it. You know. just a little bit. I'm going to talk more about Home Free themselves afterwards, but for now? Here's their version of "How Great Thou Art".





I mean. I'm not sure I have the words to describe their harmonies in this. Gorgeous doesn't seem to cover it. They are intricate and wonderful. You know, I've watched some performances where they'll have a stage full of musicians and yet there's absolutely nothing musical about the sounds that they're making. It's just noise a lot of the time. This, I believe, is part of the reason why a cappella music is becoming so popular. When done right - and Home Free always does it right - it completely eliminates all that pointless clutter posing as music. Leaving you with something that can be downright magical instead. I daresay that this is one of those times.

Right from the moment you hear that first note, you know that you're about to hear something special. The notes sung are so pure and lovely and then the way that Tim comes in, singing the first four words by himself. There's a reverence about his delivery that suits the song perfectly. I enjoy the way he holds out the first word longer than most people usually do for some reason. Perhaps an odd thing to comment on, but there you are. Tim has style, is basically what I'm saying.

I love the way the men of Home Free use dynamics - when the others join back in to support Tim's melody on the "when I in awesome wonder", they do so gently and let it build nicely. I prefer that kind of approach so much more, especially for a song like this one. One of my favorite things about Home Free is the consideration that they give to the lyrics. The way their harmonies practically dance around the words. That high harmony on "I hear the rolling thunder"? Love it.

Then Rob takes over the lead in that sweet voice of his and it feels like they've shifted into another gear. It gets more powerful and I adore the way the background harmony floats along in the background. I've said before that it always takes more than one listen before you can begin to really appreciate the arrangement, It's so easy to get taken by the lead, but the backup harmonies are so beautiful. Oh, let's be real: every part of this is beautiful.

Blending in some of "It is Well with My Soul" (another favorite of mine)? What a lovely idea. Having Adam (i.e. beatboxer extraordinaire) sing that first "It is well in my soul"? Well, you could have picked me up off the floor the first time I heard it. Unexpected in the most delightful way. Of course, Adam would have a lovely singing voice. Of course he would. Excuse me while I take a moment to reflect on the level of talent that exists within the Rupp family. My goodness.

Then there's Austin who somehow manages to sound even more angelic than usual in this. That last "How great thou art". Yes, sir. He seems to hit his notes so effortlessly. In fact, all of them do. It's like hitting notes on a piano and I always love that. And then let us not forget about Chance, who helps fill out the lower end of the harmony beautifully. He, along with Tim, serve as a kind of anchor for Adam, Austin and Rob. What's great about Home Free - and really, any great a cappella group - is that it really does take each of them. The song simply wouldn't be as beautiful if any of them was missing.

As they say at the end of the video, "How Great Thou Art" is featured on their upcoming Christmas album Full of (Even More) Cheer which comes out next week (as I'm writing this). I don't know about y'all, but the idea of more cheer definitely appeals to me. We need more of it! Everytime I think I know how special of a group Home Free is, they go and release something like this. Beautiful work, guys.

Meanwhile, you heard them at the end of the video, they want you to stay in touch with them. So how about some links so you can do just that?
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Patreon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.