Skip to main content

Album Review: A Hollens Family Christmas by Peter Hollens

Something strange has happened to me. I used to have a fairly strict rule about waiting to listen to Christmas music until December. Or rather about choosing to listen to it on my own, since it seems like the stores start playing it earlier and earlier. But generally, I like to save Christmas music for December. Now as you're of course aware, it is definitely not December yet. It's definitely still November. And yet, I find myself writing a review of a Christmas album.

This is mainly for three reasons. The first being that it seems like there's a lot of Christmas albums coming out. I know that I, in all likelihood, will not be able to write about all of them. But there's a few that I'm definitely planning on getting to. Seemed like a good idea to start now. The second reason I wanted to write about this album? It's the first new album that I've listened to in its entirety and it's great. The third reason? Peter has worked so hard getting it right and has even set a world record for the most names in the album notes of an album. My name being among them. He's said how proud he is of this project, as he should be. He did a fantastic job! And as if the album wasn't great enough on its own, Peter is apparently going to be releasing a music video for all of the songs on it. Yep. All of them. One new video a week for the rest of the year. I'll be including the ones he's already released. Perhaps I'll add the rest of the videos as he releases them. This man's work ethic is incredible.

Peter's also been so super excited about it and you know what? It's contagious. Not to mention wonderfully endearing. As a person who loves music, I love when artists are excited about their music. After all, it all starts with them. If they're lukewarm about it, how exactly do they expect other people to get excited about it? Granted, a great album is a great album, regardless of how happy an artist is with it. But when you know that they love it, it just seems to give it a little something extra. Something special. Because you know, beyond a doubt, that they gave it everything that they had. They believed in it that much. Worth noting that Peter is an independent artist. Which goes to show that, no, you really don't need the support of a label to produce quality music. This album is overflowing with musicality and heart. Peter Hollens is seriously one of absolute favorite artists and this is a great example of why. I love his voice so much and he is such a lovely, genuine human being. I'd love to be able to meet him someday.

A Hollens Family Christmas is such a treat to listen to and features some pretty cool collaborations. So how about we talk about each of the tracks? Starting with...


"Little Drummer Boy" featuring Mike Tompkins. I like that he chose this song to kick off the album because I think it was the perfect choice. It catches your ear right away and does a great job of setting the mood for the rest of the album. This is something that I'm pretty certain I've never said about any of the songs I've ever written about, but there's a kind of majesty to this. As for Mike Tompkins, I first heard about him a couple of months ago and really like what all of his I've watched, though it's not a lot. I think I'm going to need to remedy that. I really like the way him and Peter sound together. If you'd like to learn more about Mike, go check out his website here. He has the links to all of his socials up at the top of the page, so be sure to check those out as well. All of Peter's links will be down below, as per usual. 

"O Come, O Come, Emmanuel". We're going from majesty to reverence here, though really, both of these words apply to both of these songs. Really, to the album as a whole. One of my favorite things about Peter is how he doesn't sing songs so much as he delivers them. It's like he sings with a mindfulness of the words and adjusts his voice accordingly. I always love that. I also love the riffs (or whatever you want to call them) that start around the 2:16 mark. It's so interesting to listen to and then the way it builds to this grand climax and then gently tapers off. This might just be one of my favorite arrangements on the album, which is saying something. Beautiful work by Tom Anderson.

"December Song". Ladies and gentlemen, we have a Peter Hollens original! He wrote this song with his friend Anna Gilbert and what a beautiful song it is at that. This song is actually part of the reason why I wanted to write about this album in November. It's all about taking the way we treat people around Christmas time and holding onto that throughout the rest of the year. If you read my last post (which, ironically, was a video spotlight on "Scars to Your Beautiful" by Peter's lovely wife Evynne, found here), you know that I've been bothered by the way that people have been treating each other lately. I feel like this song is one that needs to somehow be blasted all over the country. If we all took its message to heart, amazing things would happen. I just know that they would. "December Song" touches my heart and the songs that do that are my favorites.

Meanwhile, Peter is an a cappella singer. But if you watch the lyric video below (which you should), you'll notice that it is not a cappella. I know, I know: clutch the pearls! In all seriousness, as much as I love a cappella, listening to Peter sing with instrumentation is a treat. Not to mention absolutely beautiful. And if you're curious about it might sound a cappella, well, keep reading. Peter might just have you covered. I'm just sayin'.




"Believe" featuring One Voice Children's Choir. Originally performed by Josh Groban, this song was in The Polar Express. Another song with a beautiful message and it's a fantastic delivery by Peter. Factor in the addition of the children's choir and you have something truly special. Beautiful track!

"Carol of the Bells". You know, when I first saw the track listing, I think I was the most curious about how he'd do this one. As is the case with everything Peter does, this is great. This is one of those that grabs my attention and holds it all the way through. Very interesting to listen to.

"Grown-Up Christmas List" featuring Evynne Hollens. Well, it wouldn't be A Hollens Family Christmas is this album hadn't included a duet between Peter and his wife Evynne. I do so love when they sing together. Their voices are so well suited for each other. Like they belong together. This was a great choice for the two of them. I think this might be my new favorite version of this song!



"Mary, Did You Know?". One of my favorite Christmas songs, Peter actually did another version of this last year that he wasn't completely happy with (though it was great). So he reworked it a bit. This song is a great example of the way that Peter is mindful of the lyrics he's singing. This is a more solemn Christmas song and you hear that in his delivery. I like the way this one builds and this one really shows off his voice, in general. So happy he included it! The video below is from last year. Check it out.



"Happy Xmas (War is Over)" featuring Jackie Evancho. Another duet, this is the second time that Peter has done a song with Jackie. They'd previously released a version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". You can find that video here. I definitely recommend checking it out because it's wonderful. Jackie has such a beautiful voice and I love the way it blends with Peter's. This one always makes me smile when I listen to it. 

"What Child is This?". Another stunning arrangement, this is one of my favorite tracks on the album. Fantastic vocal by Peter on this one. Gorgeous harmonies as well. Honestly, I could say that for every song on here, but I especially like what he's doing in the background in this. Wonderful track that really makes you think about the true meaning of Christmas - the birth of Jesus.




"Amazing Grace" featuring Home Free. Given my love for Home Free, saying I was excited when I found out about this collaboration is an understatement. This is actually not the first time that they've sung together. They originally released not one, but two versions of "19 You & Me" originally by Dan + Shay. One version lives on Peter's channel (here) and one that lives on Home Free's (here). I'm so happy that they joined forces again and what a perfect song to join forces on. This is such a beautiful version of one of my all time favorite songs. I don't even have the words for it. An excellent job by all.



"December Song (A Cappella Bonus Track)". For those of you who were wondering how "December Song" would sound a cappella, I told ya that Peter would have your covered. How does it sound in a word? Beautiful. I know I've used that word a bunch in this, but it fits. Beautiful lyric, beautiful lead vocal and beautiful harmonies. I love that Peter decided to included both versions on the album. This was the perfect way to finish.



And I do believe that that'll do it. Thank you for reading up and thank you to Peter for such a wonderful Christmas album that has quickly become one of my favorites. If you loved this and want to keep up with what Peter is doing, I have you covered.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.