Skip to main content

Album Review: Peppermint Winter by VoicePlay

Man, there's been some great Christmas albums that have come out recently. I've reviewed three of them so far. To recap: we've talked about A Hollens Family Christmas - and I've just added in Peter's most recent video from it. I gushed over the gorgeousness that is Voctave's The Spirit of Christmas album and I've raved about Brett Eldredge's Glow. Today's album, however, is from 2012. Sadly, I was living a VoicePlayless existence back then. Now that I've become a full-fledged VoicePlaya, there was no way I could let this holiday season go by without talking about their holiday album, Peppermint Winter. I mean, how could I? It's a great album and one that needs to be heard and purchased.  

No, really, you should buy it. This is VoicePlay doing what they do best. Taking songs - several of which have been done countless times - and making them their own. This collection of songs is so distinctively VoicePlay. It's fun and downright silly at times with a few surprises thrown in because that's what they do. Peppermint Winter features some wonderful vocals and intriguing harmonies. Not a surprise, considering who we're talking about.

Having not listened to Peppermint Winter in its entirety since last year, I forgot just how great these arrangements were. I'll keep saying it: Geoff and Layne are fantastic arrangers and I wish that all arrangers would approach music the way that they do. If only I had a dollar for every time I heard a song and wished that they'd arranged it instead. I'd be a wealthy woman, I'll tell you that.

Meanwhile, it's the day before Thanksgiving as I'm writing this part and one of the things that I'm most thankful for this year? VoicePlay. It's been roughly a year and 8 months since I saw them live. Back then, while I loved them, I didn't realize how important they'd end up becoming to me. How they'd end up being such a wonderful source of light and joy for me. I don't believe that I could ever properly express how much that means to me. What a difference it has made. 

Before we continue with Peppermint Winter, I ask that you indulge me first. This fall, I got to be a part of very special project for these guys. This project was headed by a couple of wonderful ladies who I'm going to embarrass and call out: Ashley and Nancy. A bunch of us were upset to find out that our guys had been getting some hate which is completely unacceptable. These girls took it upon themselves to pull as many VoicePlay together as they could to shower the guys with love.

There were 21 of us altogether. The rest of us sent in letters, pictures and whatnot for the guys while these two ladies spent who knows how many hours putting it all together. They worked so hard on it and did such an outstanding job with it. The end result was absolutely beautiful. This was truly the most special fan project I've ever been a part of and I'm so grateful to them for both coming up with the idea and for carrying it out so well. 

Here's the thing: I've never met any of the other people who participated in person. I've been getting to know a few of them through the wonders of social media, but not all. Not as of yet anyway. But while we might not all know each other personally, I know this. We all have different backgrounds, experiences and stories. We come from different places and I think some of us from different countries. We all have our own belief systems and priorities. I'm willing to bet that those of us who voted in the presidential election didn't all vote for the same person. And you know that? None of that mattered. 

Because for all of our differences, we have one very special thing in common. We all love VoicePlay. And that is the only thing that mattered. Loving these guys who have come to mean so much to all of us. Anything else was inconsequential. We just had to love these guys and want to do something nice for them. Something to make them feel our love. Something to let them know that though there might be those who will hate on them, but that they have a group of people who have their backs. Who will support them and believe in them and will always be there to lift them back up whenever they need it. Don't hate on our guys, people. Just don't.

Actually, how about we go one step farther and not hate on each other either? Let's try loving each other instead. Not just during this time of year, but all year. We can have our differences and you know what? That's okay. Really. But recognize that just because someone doesn't agree with you about something, it doesn't mean that that person isn't worth knowing. It doesn't mean that you can't still have other things in common. More important things.

Don't write someone off simply for having a different viewpoint. Look for the person behind the opinion. Odds are that there'll be something about them that you do like. Something that you have in common. Like, say, a shared love for a group of five lovably goofy and talented men. And their subs (i.e. the people who fill in for them as needed), for that matter. You know what? That really is enough.

In other words? Let's all try being nice to one another and see what comes out of it. 

Okay. Lecture over. Stepping off my soapbox now and getting back to what I'm actually supposed to be writing about. Peppermint Winter.

"Deck the Halls". We start with a voice. Tony's voice. And then, one by one, the others join in. Gently easing into the magic that is their version of "Deck the Halls" and, really, the magic that is Peppermint Winter as well. It's fun and festive and sets the mood for what else it coming.

"Holiday Road". This is one that I'll listen to all year round. Why? Because listening to it always puts me in a good mood. Granted, VoicePlay lifts my mood on the regular, but some songs are especially effective. This is one. And look what we have here - they put this out in 2012 and it always makes me smile. Watch.



"I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas". Definitely one of my favorite arrangements on Peppermint Winter. It showcases Geoff's voice so well! I mean, they all sound great, but Geoff's the standout on this one. Especially when you watch the video that perfectly demonstrates why I've dubbed him the Baron of Basstopia. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a bass bomb and it's a great one. This is what I'd call classic VoicePlay because it shows off their sense of humor. This video always gets me giggling. Plus Tony's dog, Fletcher, makes an appearance in this and he's pretty darn cute. As I've said, dogs make everything better. See for yourself.


Speaking of crazy dreams, here's a couple of weird ones I've had about VoicePlay recently. The first one started off with me finding out about a nearby VoicePlay show. The venue turns out to be a giant glass cube. Just one problem: there was no way to get inside the cube. No doors. No windows. Just solid glass. So I could see everything inside, but couldn't hear anything. There was a small stage by one wall with some round tables and chairs right in front of it. A shiny wooden dance floor in the middle with a long wooden table by the wall opposite the stage. People scattered throughout with the guys sitting at said table, signing for people.  I tried to get someone's attention, but to no avail. Geoff did look up, but not over, and  it was around then that I woke up. What in the world is that about? I don't even like eggnog!

In the other dream, Eli was furious with me because I'd written Earl where I should've written Eli in something I'd written about them. This resulted in Eli vowing to never speak to me ever again. Not like we really speak now, mind, unless a few tweets every once in a while qualify. But still, this dream was pretty upsetting. It's also made me weirdly paranoid that I'll make that kind of mistake. Or that I have, but never noticed. It's crazy. I listen to them enough; I know each of their voices. I also know that I sometimes make silly mistakes so it could happen. For the record? I sincerely don't believe that Eli would react that way if it did. I think he's too level-headed and gracious. Just saying.

Moving on. 

"Santa Claus is Coming to Town" featuring Michael Andrew. I'm not exactly sure who Michael is, but I like his voice. It fit in nicely with the others. There's a part where they transition into "The Man with the Bag" and I love it. 

"Christmas Island". I don't know about y'all, but this Christmas island doesn't sound so bad to me. Maybe not a place I'd want to go every year, but I can see the appeal. I really like their harmonies in this and then there's the "horns" solo and some whistling. Nice track. 

"Season's Greetings". If there's one track that I'm most likely to sing along with, it's this. I don't know what it is; I think I just like the melody for whatever reason. 

"Here Comes Santa Claus". That moment when you end up having a full on dance party when you're meant to be writing. Whoops? This may have happened more than once. Ahem. This one just gets me going. What can I say? It's a favorite. And, hey, cardio? Done. 

"Have a Holly Jolly Christmas". It's entirely possible that the aforementioned dance party may have continued through this song too. Curse VoicePlay and their infectiousness! Okay, not really. Honestly, I don't know what it is about about this one. I just usually end up kind of bouncing along while I listen. Meanwhile, you'll note that things take a bit of country twist when they go into "A Rootin' Tootin' Santa Claus" by the late, great Tennessee Ernie Ford. This makes me happier than it probably should.

"Left to Right". That's right: we have a Hanukkah song on here. Sung by Eli. It's a super catchy song with a message that we could all learn something from, whether we're Jewish or not, I think. The idea of bringing light to the darkness. This world could always use more light.

"Bollywood Jingle Bells". And then there's this. I'm going to be honest and admit that the first time I watched this, I had a definite what the heck was that moment afterwards. It's pretty entertaining, albeit in a weird way. A nice contender for another impromptu dance party, I must say.



"Peppermint Winter". Ah, the title track and one of my favorites. At the risk of sounding ridiculous, this song makes me think of ice skating. Which usually resulted in some hard falls so I unfortunately relate to this more than I'd like. Really like this melody. Wait for the note around 2:20. It's a good one. 

"The Christmas Song". Right off the bat this one gets off to an interesting start. It seems like you usually hear deeper voices singing this song and I like that they went with Earl. It's a great vocal.

"Silent Night". You know, it's easy to get so caught up in their usual antics that you can almost overlook their beautiful harmonies. Not so on "Silent Night". Love this one.

"Somewhere In My Memory". One of my favorite things about Peppermint Winter is that we get to hear them sing so many ballads. They don't seem to do a ton of those and it's always special when they do. Another beautiful track.

"Santa and I Know It". Okay, y'all. We've had four slower songs in a row, so I guess this would be a good time to pep things up a bit. Yeah? I'll just say that if you've never heard this, you might not be ready for it. But you know what? I kind of really, really love it. This was an album sampler, so not a full on video. But I had to include it. I just had to.



"'Zat You, Santa Claus?". No danger of getting confused about who starts off this one. That's our bass dude. My goodness. I like this one a lot.

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". I love this arrangement and lyrically, it feels so appropriate to choose to end by wishing everyone a "Merry Little Christmas". Some cool harmonies going on in the background. Especially love the ending on this one.

That brings up to the end of Peppermint Winter. 17 tracks, in total. I know this was a whopper of a post and I thank you for making it to this point. If you enjoyed this, please feel free to share it. If you liked what you heard from the album, please go and buy it. And if you liked VoicePlay and want to stay in touch with them, here's their links:
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Patreon

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.