Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: Wookiee for Christmas by VoicePlay

If you happened to read my album review of ECHO's self-titled album, you know that I declared Geoff to be the Obi-Wan Kenobi of a cappella music. Not even a VoicePlay post and he walks away with a new title. That's because Geoff has played an integral role in this, my aca-addiction. Or, if we're going to go full on ridiculous (and we are), we could also refer to him as Geoffobi-Wan Castenobi. Castellunobi? Or...maybe we'll just stick with Geoff. That might be best. 

In any event, that declaration paired with the recent release of new Star Wars movie, Rogue One,  made the choice to write about this particular cover next pretty easy. Although VoicePlay, in true VoicePlayish fashion, almost made me change course. Again. How? By releasing a Partwork that I think is the prettiest thing they've ever done. Rest assured, a spotlight on that in more than likely coming. In fact, there's also a chance of a spotlight on their version of "The First Noel", but I decided to start with the silliest video first. 

See, we're getting down to the wire here. Christmas is fast approaching and, thus, the Christmas shopping window is beginning to close. Some of you may be stuck wondering what in the world you're going to get that difficult person on your list and if you happen to know any Wookiee's, well, VoicePlay has you covered. They're helpful like that. 

So get ready for a video that could not be more VoicePlay if it tried. It's silly. It's kind of ridiculous and it's super entertaining. Here's the boys with their take on "When Can You Get a Wookiee for Christmas (When He Already Owns a Comb?)" 





You guys. Can we talk about Eli for a moment? Because I really need to talk about Eli for a moment. You know I love all five of these guys and their voices. I've spent time raving about each of their voices and so this is not meant to take anything away from the other four. But Eli. Y'all. I know the song is a silly one, but I think that this is one of Eli's best vocals. He sounds so flippin' good in this. Those first few lines? Um, yes. All the yes. This is one song that I rarely, rarely, ever choose to skip. Even if it happens to come on in the middle of June when I don't want to hear any kind of Christmas music. I don't care. I will listen to those first few lines at the very, very least. Because they're kind of magical. I know I've said this multiple times and I don't care. I'll keep saying it: I could listen to Eli sing anything. Right now, off the top of my head, I can think of at least 10 songs I'd love to hear him sing. But he could sing the alphabet and I'd listen to it. Happily. 

Here's one of the greatest things about VoicePlay as a group though. The song might be kind of absurd, but they'll find a way to sell it. Part of the reason those opening lines are so good is because they're so sincere. These guys can be doing something completely ridiculous and it'll work because the vocals are always so great. The arrangements are always great. This is part of the magic that is VoicePlay. It might be a big statement, but it's one I believe completely: their arrangements are the best. I know I'm a little biased because they are my absolute favorites. But I'm standing by it. Recently I tried taking my feelings out of it and just listened to a bunch of those songs as objectively as possible and yeah. Their arrangements are on another level. It doesn't matter what they are singing. It can be the silliest thing you've ever heard or it could be a surprisingly solemn Christmas carol or somewhere in the middle. The arrangement is going to be at that next level. They've really become my gold standard. 

Another thing that takes them to another level? Their interactions with each other, especially when they're doing something like this. The looks they shoot each other are the best. Like all the expressions in the very beginning when Eli is swerving all over the place. Priceless. Equally priceless? Layne reacting to Eli scratching his head. Earl's look of complete disgust after he's been brushing Eli's, well, lack of hair and wiping the comb off on poor Layne. The part when Eli, Earl and Tony are holding their noses and the resulting look that Geoff shoots Earl and Tony. That one makes me giggle every single time. Of course, one of my favorite things about this has to be the coordinated head bobbing. They all look so cheerful when they're doing it and I find that so amusing. 

Then there's the end when the oh-so-generous Eli is giving them all their presents. Geoff just walking off and the look on Eli's face afterwards. Earl, in general. Honestly, Eli, you probably should have started with the Twinkies. As it happens, Earl's reaction is what convinced me that he could do a fantastic Cowardly Lion and guess what, you guys? If you didn't know, Tony and Layne have their own production company now, Patty Cake Productions, and they've been doing this series called Unexpected Musicals. A series in which they take some of the stories we all grew up with and pair them with some of today's music. The newest one, Will.of.Oz came out recently and there's a few familiar faces. One of which being, oh, Earl as the Cowardly Lion! And killing it. So if you haven't watched it, you need to get on that. Like now. Get on it now. Share it with everyone you know because it's great and people need to see what they're doing. It's such a high quality production; all of them are. These are magical times we live in, you guys. 

Speaking of Layne and Tony, Layne helping Eli with his lines at the end is always good for a giggle. That and Tony looking so offended, and I can't blame him, when Eli is using the lint roller. So you know a friend who sheds. So what? That doesn't make him any less loveable. Maybe save the lint roller for when they leave, hmm? I mean, that's one of the things I got out of that whole thing. That and apparently the a cappella group that grooms together, um, sings well together? Or something to that effect. More life lessons from VoicePlay, y'all. Albeit, really odd ones.

Sidenote: here's something else that's ridiculous for you. I'm not Catholic, but I went to a Catholic high school and so help me. Every time I hear someone say "May the Force be with you", I always want to respond with "And also with you". It's been years since I've been in a Catholic church, but that's where my brain automatically goes. Surely I'm not the only one, right?

Right?

I'm bringing this to a close before things get even weirder. There might be some other VoicePlay related Christmas posts coming. I'm just saying. It could happen. In the meantime? 

Stay in touch with the men of VoicePlay below:
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Patreon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.