Skip to main content

Song review: Banjo by Rascal Flatts

It seems like most successful artists have a certain kind of tempo or groove or feel that is so incredibly them. It's when the band and artist are just cooking and where it seems like they are the most at home. That's what it's like; a home base. If you listen to any artist enough and start paying attention, you'll start to pick up on it. For an artist like Josh Turner, his sweet spot as I'll call it, is when he does songs like "Your Man". For Keith Urban, take something like "Put You In a Song". If it's Alan Jackson, it'll be something like "Chattahoochee" and if it's Kenny Chesney it'll be in songs like "Livin' In Fast Forward". I'm not sure I'm explaining this well or not, what I'm basically saying is that there's certain songs that you just know belong to the artist in question.

What does all of this have to do with Rascal Flatts? Easy. "Banjo" is like that; my very first thought about this song after I heard it for the first time was that it was such a quintessential Rascal Flatts song. "Banjo" is the lead off single from their upcoming album, Changed, which will be released on April 3rd and if you ask me, it just wouldn't be a Rascal Flatts album if they didn't have a song like this. 

You know what time it is, don't you? Time to go a little deeper.


Assuming this information is correct, this song was written by Neil Thrasher, Wendell Mobley and Tony Martin. Now this is another one of those songs with a general concept that's been done several times and will be done several more. A song about someone wanting to get away from the pressures and hassles of the city and head way into the country for some rest and relaxation. Though while the general concept is a tried and true one, I'm pretty sure no one has ever put it quite like this before. Just keep going and going until you start hearing banjos - then you know you've arrived where you need to be. Point for some uniqueness here. This isn't a kind of song that requires a lot of depth; it's a fun, feel good kind of song. I'd imagine that some would say that it's full of country cliches - my thoughts on that is yes, there are a few. I wouldn't consider that to be a negative here because the lyrics work. I have more issue with songs that shove in cliches because they feel like they need to and not because they fit. If it fits, go with it.

Shifting gears to the music itself, there's a freshness here. I'm not sure what it is exactly. Maybe all the musicians were just in a good place while they were playing. There's a nice energy to the music that just feels good. I really like how it opens with the banjo; nice playing there and throughout. The rest of the band really kicks in at the chorus and that's when it really starts feeling like a classic Rascal Flatts song. Good production on this - I feel like it would've been very easy for this be overproduced and I'm happy that it isn't.

Vocally speaking, Gary gives a nice vocal in "Banjo" and as always, the harmonies are great. I hear a freshness to their voices, an excitement almost. Hard to pinpoint, but I like it. Not much else to say on this front actually; they're good vocals, as usual.

Is this the greatest song they've ever done? No, but it doesn't need to be. It's an extremely solid song and was a great first single for this album. I love the freshness I mentioned and expect that to be present on their new album as a whole. They've been around for over a decade now and in that time they've grown into the artists the are today. I feel like they are where they need to be and after all this time, I love how much energy they've injected into this. It's like new life has been breathed into them and it makes me anxious to hear the rest of the album. The title track, "Changed", has just been released on iTunes and it's fantastic. I'd urge you to go download that and, of course, download "Banjo" as well. I also have to add that I love that the banjo is getting some much deserved love here. Good song.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.