Skip to main content

Song review: Neon by Chris Young

What's your favorite color?

It's a pretty straightforward question, isn't it? You don't have to answer, though I certainly won't mind if you do. For me, my favorite color has always been purple - more on the darker end of the spectrum. I don't know what your favorite colors are, but I would expect you to answer with, well, a color. Maybe, like me, you have a soft spot for purple. Or maybe you're more of a green sort of person or maybe you're a fan of red. Or maybe, just maybe, your favorite color is neon like the person in this song.

It's an interesting song concept and one I like. There's been a bunch of songs about the love people have for bars and "Neon" is among that group. But instead of focusing on the beer like most of these songs do, it focuses on the neon. Kind of a different take and if there's ever a way to make a subject feel new again, this is the way to do it.

Let's break this down...



Written by Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne and Trevor Rosen, "Neon" is the title track of Chris Young's new CD and it was only a matter of time before this would be released as a single. My favorite thing about the lyrics is how visual they are, particularly the first verse. A few of the lines from said verse, "Texas sunflower yellow/ can take your breath away/ I've seen it all/ from the orange of the fall/ to the green of the summer". Such beautiful imagery here that gets a little more poetic in the second verse, "Just like a beach side beacon/ Callin' all the ships back home". Not focusing on colors there, but still painting a picture. It brings up so many specific images all the way through; it's like you see the song instead of just hearing it and that's beautiful.

Again, it's a pretty unique concept. The idea that the neon from the bars draws people to it, encouraging them to take a seat and have a beer or two or five. I love the idea of the Neon being both what brings them into the bar and being "the light at the end of this tunnel". Now, as Chris Young fans have known, his songs cover a variety of subjects, but for the most part all of his singles have been about love, save for "Voices". Nothing wrong with that, especially since they covered a range of situations and moods and were all unique in their own ways. But I always love when the singles an artist releases covers a wider variety of subjecs. And when the lyrics are as good as they are here, it makes it even better.

This song has such a nice, laid back feel to it that just makes you want to sway along. I really love the playing in this; musically, it's such a nice, solid country song and pretty traditional sounding. Nice arrangement too. It's hard for me to pick out a favorite moment in this since I feel like the music is so strong. There's really nothing in the way of wasted notes here, everything feels like it belongs. Really like the production of "Neon" as well.

But as lovely as the music is, make no mistake: Chris Young's voice is the star here. Especially during the verses when the music pulls back. I do love how it swells during the choruses. Vocally, it's no secret that I think Chris is one of the best singers in the genre. He could sing just about anything and it wouldn't matter to me; I just love listening to him. His voice is so rich and smooth and has such a nice tone to it and I feel like this song does a great job in showing that off. "Neon" covers a pretty good range of notes and I really like how effortlessly he goes from one to the other. I appreciate his vocal more the more I listen to it. Great delivery too; very nice phrasing.

Chris has been on a nice little streak lately, what with having five number 1's in a row and all. As someone who as been a fan of his since I saw him on Nashville Star and has had the pleasure of meeting him, I'm so happy that he's finally getting the success he deserves. Long overdue, in my opinion. I expect "Neon" to do well and it would surprise me if it didn't. Another great single off of a wonderful album by Chris that deserves to be a part of your music collection if it isn't already.

Comments

  1. Great review! I completely agree with everything you said here. Well, with one exception, perhaps. 'Neon' IS actually a love song, but it's dedicated to a bar instead of a girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I never thought of that. I like that.

      Thanks for comment, Wendie! Glad you liked it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.