Skip to main content

Song review: Wanted by Hunter Hayes

Ah, a love song that seems geared towards all the insecure girls out there. Actually I'm not sure if that was Hunter's intention or not, but that's the feel I get when I listen to this. This is a song about a guy who wants to make his girl feel wanted and rates fairly high on my newly invented aww-o-meter. As in my reaction to this song the first time I heard it was to "aww". I was curious to see what song would follow "Storm Warning" and this is an interesting choice. And a wise one in that it shows us another side of him, a more mature side perhaps. Hunter co-wrote this with Troy Verges and while I wouldn't call it best love song ever written, it's a solid one. There's a lot of good lines in here. The second verse, for example, "Anyone can tell you you're pretty (yeah)/You get that all the time, I know you do/but your beauty's deeper than the makeup/And I wanna show you what I see tonight". That and the verse/bridge after that, namely, "Better than your fairy tales/better than your best dreams/You're more than everything I need/you're all I ever wanted". There's such a sweetness about that that I like.

Musically speaking, it has a nice little energy to it, even for being a slower song. And cool when you consider that he played everything you're listening to. The music builds very nicely throughout that third verse and I love how it softens at the end of it to highlight his vocal there. My favorite moment musically. I also like the piano playing in the first part and the way the bass guitar comes in. There are a couple of moments at the end when the guitar feels oddly out of place and I'm not sure why that is. It's not enough to mess up the song, but I always notice it. Of course, now I find myself listening for it.

Hunter gives a nice and surprisingly sincere vocal in this. It's so obvious that he looks up to Gary LeVox from Rascal Flatts; there's certain things he does that are so Gary to me. For instance, the "I know you do". He'll need to make a point to develop his own style some more as he grows as an artist. He sounds so much like Gary at times and a lot of that's not his fault - they have a very similar tone to their voices and that won't change. I just want to see Hunter grow into his own sound instead of seeming like he's trying to sound like someone else. I'll give him a pass here since he's still pretty young; he has the talent, he just has to know how to build on it. This could very easily be a Rascal Flatts song and that makes me think that it should do pretty well. Solid single.

Comments

  1. totally agree it does have a nice energy to it. he has a nice, clean, pure voice too. (I had listened to him prior to reading your review)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.