Skip to main content

Song review: The Sound of a Million Dreams by David Nail

Has their ever been an artist that you were aware of, but for whatever reason you never paid much attention to them? Maybe you liked the single they had out and bought it, maybe you even got the CD it was on, but you just never got around to really listening to it? Maybe you listened to it once, but not closely. I'm not convinced that I'm explaining this well; this kind of thing happens to me more often than I'd like to admit. I'll like an artist on a basic level, but for some reason they'll be more or less under the radar for me. I don't know why this happens and I'll be honest and say this was the case with me and David Nail.

I remember seeing someone tweeting about his song "Red Light" and was interested enough to go check it out. And I really liked it. It's a great song and it was enough to make me buy the album. I got to see him open for Jason Aldean, I guess a couple of years ago by now, and liked him. He put on a good show, had a solid set. But  even still, I never really listened to him all that much. That changed a bit when "Let It Rain" came out. Another great song and it had the bonus of having a great video which is always a major plus with me. I got his latest CD, The Sound of a Million Dreams, but he's kind of stayed under the radar for me. This is by no means any fault of his; I never disliked him or anything like that. He just never got my attention completely.

Now he's released the title track of that CD and I've been listening to it a lot to prepare for this review. And you know what? He has my attention now. Let's look at this further...


First things first. "The Sound of a Million Dreams" was written by Scooter Carusoe and Phil Vassar and it's a song about the power of a song. It's about a person understanding that power and wanting to create music that people can connect with on an emotional level. It starts off on a fairly light note and he reflects on a past love and how a certain song takes him back to that time. In this instance the song in question is Bob Seger's "Main Street". Later on, we get a glimpse of the struggles he's faced in his life - in this case, the songs in question like Merle Haggard's "Mama Tried" bring up all the painful memories of that time. The second verse goes a little deeper than the first and provides a nice contrast. Songs have the power to conjure up all kinds of memories and emotions or as the song puts it, "the sound of a million dreams".

I have a lot of love for the title - what a fantastic way to describe the power music has. This song was so beautifully crafted; perhaps more so than any other song I've said that about so far. There's a nice artistry here. This song is very strong lyrically. My favorite lines are in the chorus: "Maybe my voice will cut through the noise/ And stir up an old memory/ And out of these piano keys/ Comes the sound, the sound of a million dreams".

Musically speaking, I love the arrangement here and the production is wonderful. If they had done anymore with it, it would've lost its power. It's fairly simplistic; you have a piano and a steel guitar. The piano is the main focus here, which is only appropriate given the lines I just quoted. The steel guitar adds a lovely flavor to the song; it's the perfect accent to the piano and used just enough. I love guitars and drums and all of that, but sometimes there's just no beating a piano and a singer. I have a major soft spot for the steel guitar so I love that it was used the way it was. Beautiful playing being done here. I haven't really mentioned melody in my reviews, but I really like this one. It flows so nicely.

Okay, now let's talk about the vocals. This might be a big statement I'm about to make, but I'm making it: this song has me believing that David Nail is one of the best male singers in country music. He has a great tone to his voice that reminds me a bit of Ronnie Dunn and he has a clarity to his voice that kind of reminds me of Gary LeVox. Plus a little something extra. He sings with such feeling and I love it. Fantastic delivery here. It sounds like he made an effort to pour as much of himself into this as he possibly could and it paid off. He didn't write this song, but if I hadn't read that I would've assumed he had based on the delivery.

Yeah, so I guess you could say I liked this song. I'm sure that wasn't obvious at all, right? I have to say that country artists are making my job as a reviewer very easy; the streak continues. For now. There are some singles out now that I don't like. But we'll deal with those when I get there. Basically to sum this up, if you don't have this song in your collection, you need to change that. Do yourself a favor and let David Nail get your attention. It's attention well deserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.