Skip to main content

EP Review: Heartbreak by Natalie Stovall & The Drive

Welcome to my first EP review of 2016. I've kind of backed away from reviews for the most part, but when I listened to Heartbreak by Natalie Stovall & The Drive, I knew I had to write about it. Suffice to say, I really like it. The key word for this EP is strong. I don't just mean strong musically or strong lyrically, although it is definitely both. It is also strong, vocally speaking. But what I love about this EP is that all six songs come from a place of strength. Not from partying like one of the boys. Not from a bottle. The kind of strength that comes from within. I feel empowered and uplifted after listening to it. I would recommend this EP to anyone who enjoys great music, but women especially. This is one every woman should have in their music collection. I've yet to see Natalie Stovall & The Drive live, but this makes me hope I get an opportunity to at some point. The sooner, the better. These songs are great and they deserve to be heard. Let's talk about them.

Actually first, let's go through the lineup. Natalie Stovall & The Drive is made up Natalie Stovall (lead vocals and fiddle), James Bavendam (drums), Miguel Cancino (guitar) and Joel Dormer (guitar and vocals). Now onto the songs.


"We Are" - The perfect song to kick off the EP. Actually, this is more than a song, "We Are" is an anthem. "'Cause we are stronger than we think we are". No matter our circumstances. No matter what other people say to or about us. No matter if we've been knocked down so many times we can count. No matter how hard it gets. We are strong and we can do whatever it is we set out minds to do. We can overcome whatever it is that holds is back because "We are tougher 'cause we're battle scarred". This song makes me want to go out and do something awesome and makes me believe that I actually could. 

"Heartbreak" - A song about, well, heartbreak. A popular topic among songwriters for obvious reasons. Heartbreak is a part of life, unfortunately, but this song reminds us that it can make us stronger in the end. It's empathetic and encouraging and is a refreshing take on the subject. Most songs about heartbreak seem to deal with the pain and that's fine. Good, even. But I think there comes a point when you're ready to move past the hurt and this song brings the promise that you will. And ultimately be better for having gone through it. After all, "You see how much you can take from a heartbreak".

"Dear Dolly" - This might just be my favorite track on the EP. I love the concept. If you don't have anyone else to write or talk to, than why not sing to Dolly Parton? Because you know that odds are than any advice you got from Dolly would be good advice indeed. In the chorus Natalie sings the lines "I'll keep singing my heart out/ 'Cause it's what you would do if it were you". First, yes, I do believe that's what Dolly would do. And second, Natalie isn't kidding around when she sings that. She is absolutely singing her heart out. It's an outstanding vocal, one that demands your attention. That bridge, holy smokes. Vocal aside, perfect Dolly reference is perfect.  Really like the production on the EP as a whole, but here especially. The music takes a bit of a backseat to let that vocal shine the way it deserves to shine. Beautiful harmonies throughout. Don't be surprised if you find yourself wanting to clap when it ends. 

"Girl Tonight" - So much of country music the past couple of years has been comprised of guys singing about wanting to hook up with girls. Well hold on there, cowboys. This song is about a woman who knows what she wants and what you want or will once those lights come down. And she's letting everyone know that she's the one calling the shots around here. Not them. Worth noting that she declares that they're going to want her and that she has them exactly where she wants them. She never said they'd actually get her. Again, she's the ones in charge in this situation. That's what's up. I feel like we've needed a song like this. 

"Not Goin Fishin'" - Wherein our narrator learns about all the wonderful things she was missing by not going fishing. Spoiler alert: it has more to do with the company than the fish. Fun song. I've been talking mostly about the songs themselves and Natalie's vocals, but I need to give the band some love. The playing has been consistently good and solid, but I feel that the band is really cooking on this track. The key word here is cool. It opens with some cool guitar riffs that I really like. It's a cool little groove they have going. I'd love to hear this one played live

"Pour You Out" - Heartbreak ends with a ballad about a toxic relationship with someone that you know is bad for you, but you keep going back anyway. It's like an addiction. This is the point where you finally decide that enough is enough and you need to end it for good. By pouring them out like whiskey. Great delivery by Natalie. Maybe it's weird, but for some reason I like when an album or EP ends with an emotional song. It seems like those albums tend to stick on your head better. At least that's how it tends to work for me. So I like that that's what this EP does.

Heartbreak is available on iTunes and Amazon and I don't think I can recommend it enough. Definitely check it out! You can keep up with Natalie Stovall & The Drive at the following places.
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.