Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: Movin' On by Chris Rupp

It's funny how things work out sometimes. Earlier this week, I decided that this would be the next video featured in this series. It's a gorgeous song, both lyrically and musically. The video is simple and elegant which lets the song itself be the main focus. Great vocal from Chris Rupp and he plays the piano beautifully. "Movin' On" can be found on Shine, which is Chris Rupp's solo country album, which is a very strong album. Chris also released a classical piano album called Setting the Stage which is beautiful. I recommend them both.

While I'd decided that it would be next, I hadn't gotten around to starting this post. Then we got the news. Home Free announced that Chris Rupp would be leaving the group in May to pursue solo projects. Adam Chance, the former bass singer of Street Corner Symphony, will be joining the group in his stead come June. I can't say that I was completely surprised to find out that Chris would be leaving, but it's one thing to wonder and another to have it happen. As a fan of both Home Free and Street Corner Symphony, it was admittedly a bit of a double whammy. Now the initial shock has worn off and I've come to terms with it and it's okay.

"Movin' On" hits on a slightly different level now. It got a lot more real. I'm including this in the video spotlight series, but in truth, this post is also going to be about this transition. So take a few minutes and watch the video and then I have some thoughts to share.



Sometimes a song takes a few listens before it fully resonates with you while other times, a song will hit you right from the beginning. Like "Movin' On". I love songs like this because they're just so relatable. We've all had those moments, those times when it's time to move on from something. Be it a situation, a place or a person. Sometimes we're forced to move on from something. Sometimes it's a choice we make. Whatever the case may be, moving on can be a sad and terrifying experience. It's hard to close the door on something or someone. It's hard to come to the end of something or onto a new phase in our lives. Moving on hurts sometimes. But the good news is that there is hope. There is beauty to be found in the moving on. For every ending, there is a new beginning. 

This song and subsequently the video showcases this beautifully, what with it starting in the night time and ending with the sun coming up. There's actually another edit of this video that Chris released to give people a sample of one of his Patreon perks - which is that each video he's released has an alternate edit you can see if you join at the $15 level. The same video except for one notable difference: that one starts in the daylight and end in the night time and you can watch it here

"Movin' On" speaks to me on a personal level and now carries the additional weight, if you want to call it thought, of Chris moving on from Home Free. Like I said in the introduction, it's one thing to wonder if this was coming and another for it to happen. This is not the first time a member have left a group I love, but it doesn't get any easier. There's been some tears shed over this news and I'm not ashamed to say so. I love this group and have loved what Chris brought to it. It's not going to be the same without him. It just won't be. 

That's said, I have faith that things will work out for all involved. Street Corner Symphony will find a new bass singer to suit them as they'll continue making great music. Home Free will go from double the Rupp to double the Adam. Having seen Street Corner Symphony twice last year, I have no doubt that Adam Chance - who we simply call Chance - will be a wonderful addition to the group. I'm very much looking forward to hearing them all sing together for the first time. As for Chris, I loved and supported him in Home Free and will continue to love and support him moving forward. Just as I will continue to love and support both Home Free and Street Corner Symphony.

To Chris, I have this to say: thank you. Thank you for your vision and drive in creating Home Free 15 years ago. Thank you for your passion and commitment to the group for all this time. I can only imagine that there had to have been times where you've been tempted to throw in the towel over the years. So I thank you for having the courage and resolve to stick with it when it might've been easier to quit. 

I've loved music my entire life, but prior to discovering Home Free had hit a kind of dry spell. It faded a little bit, though I never stopped loving it. I certainly never stopped listening to it at any point. Discovering Home Free reminded me of why I loved music so much in the first place. It has completely renewed my passion for it which has had a direct influence on my writing as well. It is through Home Free that I fell in love with a cappella music. This in turn introduced me to all kinds of other artists, some of whom have come to mean a great deal to me. While all five members definitely played a role in this, Home Free wouldn't exist if it wasn't for you. So again I say, thank you. Thank you so much. 

You might be moving on from the group and onto other things, but you will not be moving on alone. We have your back. I wish you - and Home Free and Street Corner Symphony - the very best moving forward. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for all of you.

Keep up with Chris at the following places:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.