Skip to main content

Video Spotlight: Phantom of the Opera by Peter Hollens featuring Evynne Hollens

For the third day of Phantom of the Opera week, I bring you a video from Peter Hollens that features his wife Evynne. I have to say that as much as I enjoy both of their solo works, I especially love when they join forces for a project. Their voices are perfectly suited for each other and their collaborations are usually pretty special. Now Evynne usually sings with a pianist, but Peter is an a cappella artist. This video is completely a cappella and it's truly a lovely medley. Watch.





My favorite thing about all of these covers is seeing how each person or group takes the songs from the show and finds ways to make them their own. While staying true to the heart of the show. It's fun to watch all the different interpretations. In this case, I appreciate the simplicity of the basic black background and the lighting. It serves as a kind of homage to the mask the Phantom wears. I liked the opening shots and the way the images are linked to the music. It's interesting to hear how the music sounds with just voices instead of the instruments we're so used to. This is true of a cappella in general, but especially in cases like this when the actual music is so iconic. I think it pays to watch this at least twice. Once focusing more on the solo parts and again, focusing on the background harmonies. They're wonderful.

Now I think we need to take a moment to talk about Evynne's voice. She has so much control over her voice and if you watch some of her videos, you'll see that her voice is very versatile as well. She can sing so many different kinds of music and can adjust her voice accordingly. Her high notes are so clear and seemingly effortless. It's like ringing a bell. It's such a pleasant contrast to the richness of Peter's voice when they sing together. Them being married just makes "All I Ask of You" that much sweeter. Their voices are so right for that song too. I like the way it fades from that into "Music of the Night". Not an easy song to sing, but Peter does a great job with it. Love the ending. Also have to add that I always enjoy watching Peter's videos at the end. 

Keep up to date with Peter and Evynne in the following places:
Peter                                                            Evynne
Website                                                       Website
Facebook                                                     Facebook
Twitter                                                        Twitter
YouTube                                                     YouTube
Patreon                                                        Patreon








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song review: Water Tower Town by Scotty McCreery

I have an odd relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with American Idol. I was interested when I heard about it and watched the first three seasons, got annoyed with the third season and didn't watch the next only to start watching again during the fifth season. I loved the show during its sixth and seventh season, but started getting annoyed with it in the eighth. Sometime between then and now I've gone from being annoyed with it to now hating it as I see it for what it really is. I could go into more detail about that, but I won't. At least not here; maybe at another time. I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm bothering to bring it up in the first place. Well, it's because I decided to do a review of "Water Tower Town" by the current American Idol for my next song review. Now, if you're a fan of American Idol, you might not like what I'm going to say next, but I ask that you stay with me because it'll end up being importa

Album review: Christmas with Scotty McCreery by Scotty McCreery

First things first, I'm wishing everyone who celebrates a happy Hanukkah! Perhaps that's a strange way to kick off a review of a Christmas album, but it wouldn't have felt right not to include it. And really, when you really think and learn about what each holiday is about you see that in a way the first Hanukkah is one of the things that made Christmas possible. So once again, happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. Those of you who have read my album reviews know this, but the way I do album reviews is to give my overall opinion and then look at each song individually after the cut. Which means that album review posts can get pretty long. Just a warning. This album came out back in October, but I never listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Hence why there hasn't been a review until now. So what do I think? I think that releasing Christmas albums can be a little risky. The majority of these songs are so well known and loved already. They've been recorded

Video Spotlight: Sam Tsui

I first found out about Sam Tsui from a collaboration that he did with one of my favorite male singers, Peter Hollens. As it turned out, some of my friends are also fans of Sam's and there was a point where I kept seeing people post some of his videos. So finally I decided to go check out his YouTube channel. Turns out, he has all kinds of great covers on there and even some originals. I liked him and knew it was only a mattered of time before I wrote about him.  The only trouble was picking which video to write about first. There were a bunch of strong contenders and it's safe to assume that all of those will get a spotlight at some point down the road. But it was hard to pick. The obvious solution was just to do a video spotlight on Sam himself. We'll be talking about five of his videos. Starting with the first one I saw.